Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

fish problems

i have always had problems with keeping fish alive in my tank. my tank is an 120 gallon BB sps tank and all the coral have been doing very well but have never had any luck with fish. all deaths are the start same way. fish is perfectly fine, healthy, eating, dosent apear stressed or injured. next day, fish is no wear to be found. they are not jumping (top of tank is 90% sealed- I also think I could tell if there were dead fish rotting behind the tank) this morning, i woke up and found my clownfish dead (i actually found him this time, usualy they just dissapear) he looked unharmed, no damage to body, eyes looked good, still had good color.

all my perameters are excelent. this is the 8th fish I have lost since I set up the tank one and a half years ago. why cant I keep fish?
Old 11/15/2007, 01:22 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Do you have any hidden predators such as starfish which may kill sleeping fish?
Old 11/15/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

not that I know of

I do have 100's of little tiny starfish (less than 1cm) that crawl around on the glass. Do you think there is a big one hidden in the tank that is killing my fish?
Old 11/15/2007, 01:40 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

It's a possibility. Look around the tank after dark for starfish legs, crabs or other possible predators. It would be unusual for fish to die suddenly without signs of illness or injury, especially when it happens repeatedly.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks