Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 03:16 AM
I have a new avatar

Angry Might not be any of my business

But the people that think this guy is commercial

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1249928

really need to look in the livestock selling forum at the people that always have $100-600 frag packs for sale. Not some guy that is selling $20 frags.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:59 AM
RC Admin

Again, the $ amount has nothing to do with our "commercial" designation. It's about volume and intent. If I have a $1000 acan and sell a frag of it for $500...so be it. But if I set up a frag tank to propagate frags of that coral and sell multiple frags of it, then there might be an issue from a "commercial" standpoint.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 11/14/2007, 10:27 AM
10 & Over Club

Keep in mind that we do not read all posts. We rely to a great extent on folks reporting questionable posts to us. As a result some things do slip by us. If you see something that you think is a violation, please report it to us and we will look at.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/14/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

I can understand the problem but I would think that if an equal number of people disagree that should be taken into consideration as well. I met the guy mentioned above through RC and I have seen his setup. He has a HUGE and amazing tank and the frags I have seen were mostly a result of accidents and not a commercial commitment to selling frags. I really don’t think he needs to hassle with it but my impression is that he enjoys helping people out.

I might guess that complaints may come from local retail folks that think he and people like him are affecting their sales. Well I for one would not be back in the hobby if it were not for generous hobbyists that allowed me to acquire frags to make sure my system can handle larger, more expensive pieces. The small pieces that fraggers supply are not the same as the big display pieces that could only be purchased from retail outlets.

I hope RC takes another look at this policy as the hobby grows. It appears that this policy may be out of date as reefkeeping evolves and should be reevaluated. I agree that retail/commercial businesses should not be allowed but there is a place for trading and selling of smaller items.

Just my opinion.

Faz
Old 11/14/2007, 10:59 AM
Moved In

Keep in mind, there is always more to the story.

Quote:
I would think that if an equal number of people disagree
Since a lot of opinions are sent through pm's you would have no idea what that would be.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/14/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Understood,

It's just all of the secrecy. It would be nice to get the straight scoop to prevent speculation. I have learned so much from RC and people like STLGUY and I hate to see someone that has helped me so much get booted. Its a loss for everyone.

Faz
Old 11/14/2007, 12:01 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Faz - Here's my perspective.

I think that coral propagation is the future of our hobby. I completely expect that buying and selling wild corals will become illegal, or at least very restricted, sometime in our lifetime. That being said, there's a real difference between clearing out some space in your tank and fragging with the intent to make a profit. Regardless of which situation Clark was in, he chose his path. Any time someone, who's had numerous run-ins with the staff here, posts a rant that starts with "you can ban me for posting this" I'm going to oblige them.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:34 PM
Moved On

frag packs

If this is a forum to help out the hobby how come there are clearly people who are not venders selling multipal frag packs and at half an inch for a frag or one polyp frag selling it for $100 or more? I don't see that as helping out the hobby at all but in a business to make money. So you mods should pay more closer attention to those threads rather than less unimportant issues!
Old 11/14/2007, 02:41 PM
The Iron Knight

those $100 1/2 inch frags are because the coral is a slow grower and hard to come by, just a rare coral, a newer coral to the trade, or it has a special name such as Steve Tyree LE type corals, tubs blue zoanthids, etc, etc

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 11/14/2007, 02:59 PM
Moved On

I understand that but how is that helping out the hobby? if we can sell it for cheaper than it can be more readily available for the rest of us that don't have million dollar bank account.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:20 PM
Guardian of Little People

Roscoe, I would suggest you drop it and move on.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 11/14/2007, 03:25 PM
Moved On

Ok I will drop it and move on after this. I beleive I have a point and when the point is made to make some sense no one wants to discuss lol.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:26 PM
I have a new avatar

Well regardless of all the commercial/non commercial stuff it is a shame that someone who is a asset to the local reefing community like stlouisguy is cant post here anymore. He has always been helpful to me and its not like he is trying to make a living of of selling a few $20 frags.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:00 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11180407#post11180407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fazgood

I hope RC takes another look at this policy as the hobby grows. It appears that this policy may be out of date as reefkeeping evolves and should be reevaluated. I agree that retail/commercial businesses should not be allowed but there is a place for trading and selling of smaller items.

Just my opinion.

Faz
Sorry bud, but I have to agree with the mods on this one. If he was here helping out the hobby, why not trade for other frags, or simply give it away. He wouldnt have been banned. The intent was to make money off those frags. And that simply is not allowed on RC. RC is not EBAY, they simply allow HOBBYIST to sell their equipment and livestock that arent apart of frag tanks. If you setup a "frag tank" then your intention is to sell those frags, or else they would be in your display. Its a loss to the community, but this one isn't the mods fault. He brought it upon himself as he didnt read. Their are other avenues to sell your frags, such as ebay, and aquabid to name a few.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:46 AM
I have a new avatar

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11185970#post11185970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewMariner
Sorry bud, but I have to agree with the mods on this one. If he was here helping out the hobby, why not trade for other frags, or simply give it away.
Stlouisguy has gave away a ton of frags. He is also usually one of the first to try to trade as well. The problem is there isn't a whole lot he doesn't have. Also most of the time the people wanting them don't have anything to trade.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

fkdenton

Completely agree.

This is why I feel that input from other reefers should be taken into consideration when someone is banned. I have seen STLOUISGUY's tank and he does not have room for much else. I recently set up a frag tank as well just because bits and pieces have fallen off and I don’t want to clutter my display with plugs. I have no intention of selling them but the nature of reefing has evolved to make a frag tank a necessity. I would never stick up for someone who was abusing the system. It appears to me to be a conflict with a mod and a user.

“Any time someone, who's had numerous run-ins with the staff here, posts a rant that starts with "you can ban me for posting this" I'm going to oblige them.”

Just my 2 cents.

Faz
Old 11/15/2007, 07:59 AM
10 & Over Club

Please keep in mind, the selling had absolutely nothing to do with banning. It soley had to do with the banee's reaction to our simple communications. We send the same basic message to many people each week that have crossed that border of a dedicated frag tank used to produce frags for sale. In the vast majority of cases things work out just fine with polite discourse. In the rare instance, someone goes of on a rant and chooses to go down the path that forces our hand. Especially in the case of someone with a history of problems, if they choose to try and force our hand we do oblige.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/15/2007, 08:02 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11186224#post11186224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fkdenton
Stlouisguy has gave away a ton of frags. He is also usually one of the first to try to trade as well. The problem is there isn't a whole lot he doesn't have. Also most of the time the people wanting them don't have anything to trade.
Ok, then why not give these away as well?

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11186323#post11186323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fazgood
fkdenton

Completely agree.

This is why I feel that input from other reefers should be taken into consideration when someone is banned. I have seen STLOUISGUY's tank and he does not have room for much else. I recently set up a frag tank as well just because bits and pieces have fallen off and I don’t want to clutter my display with plugs. I have no intention of selling them but the nature of reefing has evolved to make a frag tank a necessity. I would never stick up for someone who was abusing the system. It appears to me to be a conflict with a mod and a user.

“Any time someone, who's had numerous run-ins with the staff here, posts a rant that starts with "you can ban me for posting this" I'm going to oblige them.”

Just my 2 cents.

Faz
This board isnt a democracy. It is basically a dictatorship. You either follow the rules or your welcome to leave. Its pretty simple. He didnt follow the rules so he was helped in making the descision to leave. If you have no intention of selling your frags, then why setup a frag tank? Why not give those frags to noob reefers instead? Or sell them back to your lfs for store credit. Again, the guy didnt do any of these things. He simply wanted to sell his inventory...