Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Red River Valley Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

I don't mind going down earlier.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

earlier will work for me.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

works for Me.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

okay here is what I am working on....

12noon: meet at my house or at a central location like downtown fargo maybe or moorhead. we will go see a 150 reef tank, the one i mentioned before--it is a biological tank (no mechanical just powerheads and lights) that has been running for 10-12 years. it is a mix of sps, lps, softy, and a few fish. it is amazin and looking very good right now.

from 1pm-2pm we will head to north fargo to see a 180 coral tank and three others a couple blocks away. the three others are a 55, a 58, and a 125. I am not sure of the quality of these. i have seen the 55, 58, and 125 a year ago and they were nice, but not sure of the 180 or the condition of any of them lately.

there are a bunch more that we could see. but we will spread them out over the year.

again steve, with the really mature tank, has tons of stuff to give away and is very very generous. i was thinking of buying him a nice sps for his tank because he is the king of giving stuff away. but i am not sure if it would make it holding it my tank for a day. anyway. if you guys want some frags or colonies bring bags and a plan to get them home.

ideas?????
Old 11/14/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

wish I new what he had I could bring some sps's he does not have. I don't mind sharing either. I have a soft side cooler and can get bags with No problem.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I might have an idea for keeping them for the afternoon. I have a 500w power supply that can hook up to a car battery (which I have a spare of). If someone has a spare heater, we could throw it in my cooler with some water, and then just put the bagged frags in the cooler. That way they'd stay at a good temperature for hours.

Now, I haven't dealt with frags before, so I don't know if that's enough to satisfy them. The power supply could probably also support a small powerhead for a few hours too.

Let me know if this would work, and I'll bring the stuff along (someone would have to bring a heater, all mine are being used!)
Old 11/14/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

hey he would not care anything anybody can give he will take...even fish just let me know what you are trying to dump so i can clear it with him. he has so many populations of crazy stuff that is like 8-12 years old i don't know if even he knows what it is anymore. i know he has porites, porcilapora, acro of all kinds, monti that is amazing, i don't know what else. but its alot. he has tons of soft, lps, it is packed full of stuff. left to right top to bottom. anything you might want, he might have.

i am just worried about any corals making it home okay for the GF guys. he is really touchy about his stuff. he loves to give, but he hates it when they die.

but anything stony of a bigger size would be cool.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

I've shipped stonies to the east and west coast, I think I could get them back to grand forks ok...LOL.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

does this guy have a web site of his tank or hosts them on any forum? I would hate to bring something he already has, plus right now I pretty much have frags I'm trying to build up my colonies.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strangerdejavu
I might have an idea for keeping them for the afternoon. I have a 500w power supply that can hook up to a car battery (which I have a spare of). If someone has a spare heater, we could throw it in my cooler with some water, and then just put the bagged frags in the cooler. That way they'd stay at a good temperature for hours.

Now, I haven't dealt with frags before, so I don't know if that's enough to satisfy them. The power supply could probably also support a small powerhead for a few hours too.

Let me know if this would work, and I'll bring the stuff along (someone would have to bring a heater, all mine are being used!)
as for heaters, pumps, buckets, Iodine dip, heat packs, ect I have all that stuff if needed. but for a day trip keeping the corals in a dark and steady atmosphere would be just fine the key would be acclimating them to your tank slowly once they were home.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

hey don't sweat it really...don't worry about bringing stuff here its no big. I was not bashing you thinking you didn't know what was up with getting the stuff back to GF. I was just making sure everything was cool.

i will try to get a better schedule finished tomorrow for sure..

michael
Old 11/14/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Michael
No didn't take it as you were bashing, just letting you know I've shipped stonies and have every thing needed to frag and transport in state or out of state.
as for what I have right now for frags I work in town tomorrow and should be home at a decent time if you have time contact mike or Tarax if you don't have my web site addy I'll try and post what I have right now for frags if anything you like leave me a PM,
I'm touchy to with my corals as your friend is and I hate taking them out of my tank and taking them on a road trip if they just have to come back again.
as anyone that love there corals like we do Knows this.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for the late reply to all this but I have been working 14 to 16's at Camp Grafton this week trying to meet a timeline for a fiber communications project. I should be home LATE tomorrow night..

I am up for anything. We don't have even meet at my place it was just an offer so we could all get together and BS.. I personally am more up for looking at this guys system that has run 12 years as a biological than anything else. That and I want to pick his brain hard as I really want to move away from all of this mechanical stuff that I have in my own tank.. I promise my feelings won't get hurt and I look forward to seeing these tanks...!!!!

Mike thanks for taking the time to set all of this up.. I am extremely excited about the whole prospect.. I don't even care if I get a frag or not.. Just to be able to talk with guys that have these kinds of systems are payment enough for me personally.

So if we want to free form this is great or we can use my place as a final stop if you want.. I am pretty much game for anything.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

where do you live? We could always hang at my house too....since it is close to the tanks that we will be seeing.

I think Steve's tank has been just biological for eight years of the 12, but I will let him talk about it. he will be at work so he might not be able to talk a lot, but he is a pretty talkative guy once he starts going.

we could skip the other tanks if everybody wants to as well. but i think we should go look at the 180--just cause I have not yet seen it in person.

anyway, I will get a meeting address to everyone ASAP.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Okay here is what I have so far.

1. I would like to have everyone meet up at the Moorhead Center Mall at Noon, it is on 4th street and Center ave. The parking lot will be the south west one by country kitchen. we will meet outside by there--AND WE ARE NOT EATING THERE.

here is a map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8...num=4&ct=image

Steve's tank is in the mall area, I will lead us to the motherload.

2. We will leave steve's tank at about 12:30-1pm an head to the other tanks on the north side of fargo. first seeing a 180 reef tank, and than to another house, to see a 125, a 55, and a 58. I HAVE NOT SEEN THESE TANKS FOR SOME TIME, BUT WHEN I DID SEE THEM THEY WERE COOL. THE 180 I HAVE NEVER SEEN, BUT WITH TIME RESTRICTIONS THIS WAS ALL I COULD GET THIS WEEKEND. SORRY

3. Now we have a couple options, we wrap it up and everyone goes home, or we could go to my place and hang and I could grill.

SO I NEED TWO THINGS FROM EVERYONE: WHO IS COMING AND HOW WOULD WE LIKE TO WRAP THINGS UP.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

thanks everyone....

michael
Old 11/15/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I'll be there. I believe Icereefer and Moonyguy will be too (we still carpooling, guys?)

As for wrapping things up, I'm personally all about eating food, but I'm fine with calling it a day too if people are ready to go home.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

I need to get back home by 6 pm so the max I can stay is till 4:30 pm. So if we can fit something in that would be great....is the weather good for grilling outside in Fargo this weekend?

Jason...we can meet at my place at say 10:30-10:45 am before we head down?
Old 11/15/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

10:30-10:45 sounds good to me. Jim, if you still want to carpool, do you want to meet there too, or should I swing by your place? I live right by Scheels.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

yeah I could just meet at vishnu's.
If we wrap it up at your place Michael what do you need me to bring for the Grill,Ect.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltwana
where do you live? We could always hang at my house too....since it is close to the tanks that we will be seeing.

I think Steve's tank has been just biological for eight years of the 12, but I will let him talk about it. he will be at work so he might not be able to talk a lot, but he is a pretty talkative guy once he starts going.

we could skip the other tanks if everybody wants to as well. but i think we should go look at the 180--just cause I have not yet seen it in person.

anyway, I will get a meeting address to everyone ASAP.
I live at 3240 9th St West #203 West Fargo.. Right behind Mattwell just north of the new grade school and park.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icereefer
yeah I could just meet at vishnu's.
If we wrap it up at your place Michael what do you need me to bring for the Grill,Ect.
Ditto on what you want to bring.. I can just about cook or make anything you want..
Old 11/16/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Better late than never I guess... Yeah i've been totally busy and really don't check this forum much... but just in case you were wondering, I work until 3, so unless no one decided to fly and I get out early, I probably won't be able to make it. Sorry guys

K
Old 11/16/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

So we have jim, vish, jason from GF--matt, tarax, brady and myself from fargo...is this correct???

As far as bringing food don't sweat it too much. I was going to just grill brats and burgers and some salmon for vish (he is so special). If you want to make a donation to the food fund its cool. Ideas for food is appriciated.

what would everyone want to drink.....beer, soda, jack d (kidding)

we have a 240 and a 600 gallon tank set up to tour for next time. they are not around this weekend.

open for suggestions. if it is too cold out to grill, which it probably won't be, if its snowing or raining than maybe we will order pizza of whatever.

let me know if I don't have you on the head count
Old 11/16/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

count me in!
Old 11/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Hey Mike

Is it okay to bring some beer over?
Vish