Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:29 PM
m0derated

OT: Another gun question

Anyone have contact info for the place I need to go to get a permit to purchase a firearm in Ohio? I can't find a link for the life of me.

Anyone know how long the process takes?
Old 11/14/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I don't think you need a permit to BUY one. just goto where you want to buy one from and they fill out a slip of paper and call it in.
a "long gun" I don't think you wait at all and am not sure about a pistol.

if you need on fast look in the paper or trading times.

discaimer- I have not bought a gun in 8 years or so

if you want a conceal carry permit then you need to apply for it and pass a class....
Old 11/14/2007, 01:47 PM
We'll get 'em next year!

Hey Tim, you don't need a permit to buy a gun OH. You will need to pass a background check (might be tough for you) and wait 7 days to purchase a hand gun. I assume you mean a Concealed Carry Permit?
Old 11/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

if you need a handgun quicker.... drive to cleveland and find a guy named Fat Bob. tell him Slim Jim sent you... $200 cash and you'll be set. please add $50 for XXL and XXXL calibers
Old 11/14/2007, 02:19 PM

Fat Bob sites all his pistols to shoot gangsta style. So be prepared to adapt, or make adjustments.

Last edited by scottfarcuz; 11/14/2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:39 PM
m0derated

LOL. I thought asking how long the process takes might raise an eyebrow. I was mostly wondering how much time I might need to take off work to stand in line, fill out forms, get my photo taken, etc.

Gander Mountain told me I need to apply to the government for a permit (only to purchase) a handgun. The permit lasts 60 days or so, and Gander Mountain won't let you buy one without the permit.

... I did get caught making a right turn on red during business hours, 8 years ago. Crap...
Old 11/14/2007, 04:05 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
You'll be fine, handgun permits are all the same throughout the state, if you need a rifle/shotgun, you can head out of city limits ie, gander mountain on the east side or head up to mansfield/marion etc, and buy a long gun that day, you just say that you're not a rapist/murderer/felon etc and they call in a background check. All handguns are mandatory 7 day minimum waiting periods. what caliber you looking for?
Old 11/14/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

The last 3 hand guns I purchased were all about 10-15 minute processes with no wait at all. If you have a clean record you can normally leave that day with the gun. I would allow for an hour to pick out the gun, back ground check and payment. You should be able to do it on a lunch break.

This is all assuming you have a clean record and can answer the questions properly.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I have always bought hand guns at Vances on Cleveland ave. and have never had to wait more than an hour or so on my back ground check.

I have bought a 454 casull, Kimber .45, beretta .22, S&W .22, and a high point .45 for a friend.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:59 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
you mean high point .45 for yourself!, they get pretty picky about buying guns for others, My fiancee was actually told by a dicks sporting goods employee that he couldn't sell her a shotgun because, It couldn't possibly be for a "girl" and its a federal crime to buy a gun for another person....Little did that jack a$$ know that she's hands down a better shot that he'll ever be, that was the last time i even looked at guns at dicks, Vances does have a pretty good selection on most things though
Old 11/14/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Nope I told the guy straight up that I was buying it for a friend as a present and he said that it wasn't a problem as long as I wasn't buying it for someone for monetary gain.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:32 PM
Pingy Pingy!

My purchases have been at Vance's, and they make it pretty simple. Some identification, background check, and you're pretty much ready to go.
Old 11/14/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Dang it sure is nice to have a Dad with a federal firearms class 3 license I can get anything I want. I love to go back to Kansas and play with full Auto and the GOD of guns Barrett 50 caliber with tracer rounds.
Old 11/14/2007, 06:42 PM
We'll get 'em next year!

WOW!!!
Sounds like fun, can I go with you next time
Old 11/14/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I was driving thru kansas on phish tour, well 7 of us in a mini van lol

the kansas police were looking for a student that kidnapped his teacher (found out later)

those cops pulled 4 of the most scariest rifles (i think) on us, and were screaming. it was terrifing!!!

(funniest part and i swear its true)

we just left a gas station and our driver had a donut in her hand. and the first thing the cop at her door said was 'drop the donut' it was sooo funny

kansas doesent mess around!

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/14/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

did he confiscate the donut for evidence?
Old 11/15/2007, 08:16 AM
m0derated

Thanks for the help guys. I have no idea what the guy at Gander Mt. was talking about then. I went to the one on the west side.

I'll be looking for something in a .357. Probably a revolver like this:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5719&return=Y

I want one just to have around, but I'm sure I'll also go to the range for fun. I'm thinking revovler because it will be my first and they seem simpler.

Think I'd be better off buying a new one since I don't know what I'm doing, or can I trust Vance's or other retailers to sell me a quality used one?