Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Smile My RBTA

Hi,

I finally released this anemone after 4 months of TLC. It was about the size of a quarter when we got it.

The picture does not do it justice - it's a vibrant rose/pink color.

I finaly got around to nem-proofing the Koralia and figured it was time to let it out of its enclosure (we kept it in a glass w/rubble and plastic mesh over the top to prevent it from getting in to trouble and to keep it accessible for frequent feedings).

The photo was taken a day after moving in to this new home. (moved from the 46 to the 30). He was eating the day after the tank change and hasn't moved more than 6" from where he was placed.

So far so good!

Old 10/12/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

nice picture!

Is there any way you could get a pic of how you adjusted your koralia to make it safe for this guy?
Old 10/12/2007, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

I'll try to get a pic for you. But there's a thread on here somewhere that had the idea I used.

I simply went to a craft store and bought a sheet of plastic needle point material. I also bought a plastic needle point "egg" shaped thing. I used part of that to partly cover the rounded out-put end of the koralia. Then cut a strip of the other stuff and wrapped it around the remaining area of the pump and managed to attached everything with zip ties. I also covered the back of the pump.

It's not glamorous by any means, but I don't think anything can get pulled in now.
Old 10/12/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

what are you using for you light i really like how my RBTA looks under 14k mhs
Old 10/12/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

The light is a 250watt 14k phoenix. Have been happy with those bulbs on both of our tanks.
Old 10/12/2007, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by riley290
nice picture!

Is there any way you could get a pic of how you adjusted your koralia to make it safe for this guy?
Here's a pic of the koralia with the plastic needle point mesh around it.

Old 10/12/2007, 11:39 PM
problem algae grower

Thumbs up

good job on that koralia.
Old 11/12/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE

Well, it took a little while. But the two clowns found the anemone!

I was worried because they are tank bred/raised true percula's. I've read that they may never host a nem, especially a BTA.

Now we just need this nem to do some more growing!

Old 11/12/2007, 10:50 PM
clownfish fan

how long did it take my anemone is very similar and my percs took two weeks to find it,
Old 11/12/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

I think I posted about its release the day I did it, so that's 4 weeks ago.

Yours took only two weeks? Obviously your clowns are more observant than mine!
Old 11/13/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

lol my clowns, i had 3, now two, took a day each. My cinni who is at the lfs or someones house, took a day to find the bta. My two false percs took 3 mins to find teh sebae, and then another 20 mins to find the cinni's BTA, which she didn't appreciate, and eventually made her go back to the lfs...
anyways... ur clowns seem kinda big for that rose.
AND isnt the point of the korallia to remove the problem of suction and jetstreams? mine produces 0 suction on any side because of the fact that it intakes frmo all sides. Its a korallia 3, and i've never had any problems for anything except shrimp molts
Old 11/13/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Yah, they're a little big for it. But fortunately, they're not in it all of the time. They still cruise the rest of the tank. So I'm hoping the nem isn't getting stressed or beat up. We'll have to see. If I have to I'll separate them from it for a while until it's big enough.

I put the screen around the Koralia as a precaution. (mine's a 3 also) Maybe a nem would not get sucked in, but I didn't want to take the chance, ya know? It's my first anemone, and I would have been very upset if something like that happened to it.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:29 AM
Slowly Stocking

Gotta love the neon green zip ties...haha. Nothing like making our ugly equipment even more obvious

No disrespect to you...I've just been irritated by all of the stuff i have to have in my tank to keep everything alive since day 1. I wish there was a stealthier way to do it.

The BTA looks great, especially for having been so small not that long ago! Hopefully the clowns will play nice until it's had time to grow.

Check the red house.

Last edited by Slakker; 11/13/2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Yah, I was not thrilled about the green zip ties, but they were the smallest I had on hand that were narrow enough to go through the plastic mesh. Besides, that's what coraline is for!

I know what you mean. It's not so simple.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

koralia looks good ill try that on mine thats one of the reasons i havent got a nem
Old 11/13/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
I've just been irritated by all of the stuff i have to have in my tank to keep everything alive since day 1.
Tyler, a sump is your friend ;>)

Amazon4, great job on getting that nem healthy !

I had a RBTA that got abused by my caps, nem was a size of a quarter when I pulled it out and let it recover in a glass trap filled with rubble. Now I have three huge ones (but they turned green with bright orange tips) in a separate tank with 450MH 10K). The parent used to sit under 175MH 10K in the breeding system. Go figure
Old 11/14/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

kaneryles - give it a try! It wasn't too hard to do. And now I don't lose sleep over the possibility of the nem getting in to it.

MarinaP - Thanks! Glad you hear you were so successful with your nem rescue. I can't wait until this one grows up and splits some day.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I am envious of your amazing RBTA! I love the color
Old 11/14/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clowder
I am envious of your amazing RBTA! I love the color
Thanks! I've seen a tank full of these at a fellow reefers. We were not going to get an anemone unless it was one of his. He was keeping all of the clones. But he eventually gave us the little "bud" that we stared with.

His tank is just amazing with about a dozen of these scattered through it (he's got a big tank!).
Old 11/17/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

FYI - I've been asked by a few folks on where to get the materials I used to cover the Koralia.

I found what I needed at A.C. Moore. A craft supply chain. Michael's is another type of store (chain) that has the same supplies.

If you want to search on line, it is call needlepoint plastic canvas.

It's an easy mod - good luck to those who try it.