Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 10:07 PM
On "The List"

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 11/13/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Not much of a college football fan but I hear Tim Tebow is hot as QB this year. May be a heisman trophy shoe in ?
Many of the Heisman polls I have seen list Tebow at the top. Although he is statistically ahead of the competition, (he had 7 td's this week, even with 2 dropped td passes!!!) he is only a So., and UF has lost 3 games. The heisman voting process is very political. I feel that a lot of the old fogies that vote on the matter do not even really follow the statistics that closely. For instance, I saw a pretty prominent voter on TV talking about who he would vote for if the season ended today. His top three were Mike Hart, Darren McFaddon, and Dennis Dixon. There was no mention of Tebow whatsoever.
Mike Hart is 15th in the nation in rushing. McFaddon is fourth in rushing. Dixon is fourth in passing.

Mike Hart to me should not be considered in the Heisman voting at all. Someone tell me why he should be.

Dixon is fantastic and his team has only one loss thus far, but he has lower passing and rushing totals than Tebow. DD has accounted for 28 td's while Tebow has accounted for 42!!!

McFaddon has had a remarkable year, but is he even better than Felix Jones, who is averaging a remarkable 9.3 yards per carry out of the same backfield???
Old 11/13/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Ok - After watching my beloved BAMA lose again to MSU, All I will say is that Croom's team looked good and as I have always said MSU gets better as the season goes on and I am respectful for what he has done at MSU. But I will say watch out next year Sly.

Now we're just hunting for a win against that cow college across the state.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11/13/2007, 09:56 AM
But what do I know?

So do you think Saban is going to get Croomed?

It's too bad Bama is going to lose another to Auburn.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 11/13/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I'm thinking the Croomed monkier is going to begin to become more of a MSU slogan than one of disdain for the coach that lost to him.

I always hate the game we play right after LSU, luckly the Auburn game is the last of the season or it would be the same way. Bama plays both those teams so physicaly till the game after we look like crud. We are banged up and our O-Line is weak from the suspensions. MSU took advantage of that. Wilson had little time to throw the ball even when they only rushed 3 and 4. Reminded me of last year but esentily you were looking at the same line as last year, the suspensions put the 2nd and 3rd stringers in the o-line.

With the hopefully easy wine over LA-Monroe we shoudl eb back to looking pretty good for AU and the guys will have plenty to play for and its being said that by then we shoudl have the suspended players back, although I woudln't put it past the NCAA to hold the decision till after the AU game.

oh and Saban is safe from any talk about being fired, He will get 4 years to make us a team to be reckoned with, I think next season BAMA will be a tough team to beat. The diffrences between the team last season and thies season stats wise look simular but when you watch a game there is no comparison.

All that said - I still love old Joe Kines Defence. I would love to be able to meet him and shake his hand and thank him for staying with BAMA in some capacity after the Saban hire. But Sabans D is much more aggresive and I think when he gets it stocked with his talent they will be one of the best in the nation.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11/13/2007, 10:15 AM
But what do I know?

Just all the Bama grads I work with talked nothing but Tubberville getting Croomed after Auburns loss, it is good to throw that talk back. Last year and the year before, no Bama fans made it to the end of the year in these threads.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 11/13/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

I'll make it, I had very little riding on this season , I am pretty happy with what we have done as a team in a rebuilding year with new coaching staff. People need to keep in mind - 99% of Shula's staff is gone and 90% of the players on the team were kids Saban likly woudl not have recruited. So right now we are making do with what we have. And with me a win over Tenn. is a good season, if you add a win over AU then its a great season.

Old 11/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

But that loss to FSU has to sting a little
Old 11/13/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

all losses sting. But hey I had hoped for a win but that is a strugling program as well and I do belive that they are startign to right the ship and in a few years will be back where they want to be.

A program that had sunk like bama and fsu can be rebuilt in a season. it's taken Croom 3 years to win enough games to be bowl eligible, now I'm not saying Bama or FSU had sunk as far as MSU but still it takes time. Look what Wake Forrests coach has done with time and many other coaches throughout the nation. If your looking for a turn around in a season form a new coach that possibly can be done (I feel Saban has doen this and Bowden and staff are working on it) but going from a team with a losing record one season in the SEC and winning all the big games ain't gonna happen.

Cubman - you going to the FSU- Maryland game? I am, I'm not an FSU fan but one of my best friends is and he wanted me to come visit so I'm gonna go to a FSU game. LOL hopefully they won't lose to Maryland

Old 11/13/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

I might go. I actually will be in Tallahassee this weekend. I dont have tickets though. Scalping is always an option though. They wont lose to Maryland.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

My buddy has tickets but I don't have any. I'll be buying outside the stadium. I'm sure I'll be able to get something decent for 20-40 bucks. I went to the BAMA LSU gameand there wasn't a ticket to be had...well a few were half heartedly selling buy they wanted 200 a ticket.

We ended up sneaking in at halftime

Old 11/13/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

yeah, for some reason I dont think that this game will be in such high demand
Old 11/13/2007, 12:20 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

As far as the Heisman goes the voting is so fickle it isn't even funny. I think it is more of a popularity contest than a political thing. One year they claim its based on a player's body of work over their college career and another its because of the season. Basically they are going to come up with an excuse for their vote. How Dixon moved to the top this year is beyond me other than all of the predicted winners have slipped up this year. If Tebow had a decent previous season to back up this year I don't think it would even be close. I personally would give it to Brennan this year but if Dixon has a good game Thursday with the national audience it's his to lose.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:10 PM
Here comes the Gators

Tebow definately should win the heisman if it were based off stats and performance. What is holding him back is his 3 losses and his young age. It is rediculous.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/13/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

both of those are things pretty much beyond his control. Age of course is. You would be hard pressed to pin those three losses on him.

Can anyone argue that there is a more dominating player in college football?
Old 11/13/2007, 02:13 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
Can anyone argue that there is a more dominating player in college football?
Nope because there is none. Dixon is good, but not as good as Tebow.

Brennan? Is there even a comparison between him and Tebow? lol

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/13/2007, 06:08 PM

Here's why I would give it to Brennan

Passing---------------------------------------------------------Rushing
-------Att -Comp Pct Yds ---TD Int Rating-------------Att Yds Avg TD
2007 282 196 69.5 2,395 20 10 157.2-----------------46 38 0.8 6
2006 559 406 72.6 5,549 58 12 186.0----------------86 366 4.3 5
2005 515 350 68.0 4,301 35 13 155.5----------------99 154 1.6 2
total 1356 952 70.2 12,245 113 35 168.4-----------231 558 2.4 13

2006 win at Arizona State 33 of 42 for 559
2006 loss at Oregon State 37 of 50 for 401 yards
2006 win at Purdue 33 of 48 for 434 yards
2006 loss to Alabama 30 of 44 for 350 yards
2005 loss to USC 21 of 32 for 250 yards (Vince young did 30 of 40 for 267 in the NC game)
2005 Loss to Mich State 23 of 31 for 219 yards
2005 loss to Wisconsin 33 of 54 for 403 Yards

Yeah, he plays against WAC defenses but he also has a WAC offensive line and WAC receivers. Would his numbers really suffer much if he was playing on a BCS conference team? It isn't like he goes to hell when he plays a BCS team.

The guy just tied Ty Detmir's TD pass record in 14 fewer games.

I think this guy deserves it more than Dixon. Tebow's time will come if that moron Myer doesn't get him hurt leaving him in the game in garbage time. If I was Tebow's dad I would have choked Myer silly a couple times this year.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Aight that question that half of you dont care about:

whos gonna win Ohio State or Michigan?
Old 11/13/2007, 08:35 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I think this guy deserves it more than Dixon. Tebow's time will come if that moron Myer doesn't get him hurt leaving him in the game in garbage time. If I was Tebow's dad I would have choked Myer silly a couple times this year.
Tim Tebow:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2007 173 255 2532 67.8 9.93 66 23 5 11 177.09

Tim Tebow has 609 rushing yards and 19 rushing touchdowns. Oh, he plays in the SEC.

Still no comparison and he is only a sophomore!

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/13/2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Tim Tebow:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2007 173 255 2532 67.8 9.93 66 23 5 11 177.09

Tim Tebow has 609 rushing yards and 19 rushing touchdowns. Oh, he plays in the SEC.

Still no comparison and he is only a sophomore!
These are Brennan's sophomore and freshman stats. You're right, no comparison

2006 559 406 72.6 5,549 58 12 186.0----------------86 366 4.3 5
2005 515 350 68.0 4,301 35 13 155.5----------------99 154 1.6 2

Trying to say one is better than the other at this point is rediculous. Tebow is having a great season, Brennan has had a great career. Kinda depends on what you think the Heisman should be based on. One year or their career. If they give it to Tebow oh well, I wouldnt agree with that but I think it would make more sense than it did to give it to Troy Smith or Reggie Bush.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emerald chondro
Aight that question that half of you dont care about:

whos gonna win Ohio State or Michigan?
Flip a coin. If Michigan is healty I would give them the edge.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

You are crazy if you think that Brennan deserves it more than Tebow. Tebow is having one of the greatest qbing seasons I have ever seen, maybe the best. He has already thrown and run for a combined 42 touchdowns!!! Obviously I believe that the Heisman should be based upon the season that the award is awarded for, and not that season plus the previous two or three. I know that the award is very subjective, but if the statistics are as drastically one-sided at the end of the season as they are now, it is insulting to the general public to not give it to Tebow. I could see the public being like "yeah, ok, well good for Dennis Dixon, or good for Colt Brennan, but seriously, they didnt deserve the award, they should put an asterisk by it because we know who really had the better year."

If Tebow finishes with better stats than the other qbs in the running, they will skirt the question all together and give the award to a player from another position. Most likely McFaddon.

Grim, let me ask you a question, would you rather have Tebow or Brennan this year? To me, that question puts it all into perspective. If you would have rather have had Tebow after the season is over, then how can you not say that he was better, that he was the MVP of college football.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:24 PM

Like I said, I am not arguing Brennan deserves it more based on this season alone, just that if you are going to hand it out based on this season and total career then Brennan deserves it more than Dixon. Soley on this season of the guys with the stats Dixon and Bradford have to get a lot of bonus points for only having a single loss so far.

Tebow or Brennan, I wouldn't cry if I got second best It would really depend on the team I had but based on what I have seen so far I would probably take Tebow if I had a good line. 4th and 1 would be almost automatic. It will be interesting to see if his stats continue to improve next year after the SEC teams have faced him.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

like they arent clued in on him now?
Old 11/14/2007, 12:40 PM

Until you have faced the guy in a game situation you don't know how your D scheme is going to work. Film is nice but you never know to you get on the field.