Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 04:22 PM
Charleston Reefer

Well you are talking about cosmetic flaws, most people wouldn't even know there is a problem. If it didn't leak most people wouldn't care.

I really don't think you will be happy with a DAS skimmer because they are not built like a tank. They are budget skimmer for people who want great performance for a cheap price. These same ab2001 pumps H&S charges $200 and you skimmer only cost $279. DAS make little money off these skimmers, their main business is building set ups for our LFS. This is a lot different from deltec, h&S, euroreef that has to make most there money off their skimmers....
Old 11/12/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ding2daDong
I just realized that the extra $5 I spent on a euroreef air valve didn't come with the skimmer. I did receive an extra black DAS air valve though...

What to do, what to do...

-Matthew

i plan to remove the valve have it fully opened and use the Taam Seio silencer, which did help with noise when i tested in the sink. i am big on noise, another reason to get a DAS for the aquabee pump which is more quiet than my eheim 1250 return pump.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html

Last edited by db_triggerfish; 11/12/2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I knew that it didn't have the "best" craftsmanship but come on, this skimmer is overly filled with flaws. This skimmer is perfect for my sump and my budget, but when the company took so little time in basic manufacturing of it I don't know what to think besides anything good.

I will return it and try for another after talking with petorama. Most people on this thread have not had skimmers this low in craftsmanship. Oh and there was some water in the bottom of the skimmer so I guess it was used or refurbished. I checked the waters to see if there was any salt in it... 1.012!! So it had been tested with saltwater or used before.

I don't mean to go on an all out bashing spree on a thread filled with happy customers. I just want some basic feedback helping me with this situation because I have not heard or seen these types of "flaws" on anyone elses DAS skimmers.

I work hard for my money and I just couldn't beleive everyone here would feel comfortable buying this skimmer without noticing all of the errors and not saying anything.

-Matthew
Matthew, again, my EX-2 was basically flawless from a cosmetic point of view. No issues with performance either. I think you just got a lemon or a return. I am sure they didnt ship it out broken, looks like the shipping company did that. From pics of the box, you can see that it was dropped or kicked or otherwise handled without much care. I have no vested interest in the company but it sucks to see something that I kinda help "endorse" in this thread end up arriving in the condition that yours did. I'm hoping it was just an exception as it would be a real shame if DAS began shipping out crap to everyone. As I mentioned, mine was as close to flawless as one could expect.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

O-rings anyone?

Can somebody tell me what the neck size is for the EX-1's?
The EX-2 is 3 1/2". Is the EX-1 3"?

I bought a couple of replacement skimmer cup / neck O-rings for my EX-2 for any future leaks. I bought some extras and also some O-rings for the EX-1 . Since there are so many reports of neck leaks in near new skimmers I figured I would grab some extras to supply a few of the DAS skimmer club folks and save you all atleast a little bit on the 6 or 7 bucks of shipping fees for a couple of O-rings.

I'm Not looking to make a profit, just cover costs (O-rings, shipping, mailers plus the $.30 + 2.9% paypal fee).

So anyway, if anyone needs an O-ring for their EX-1 or EX-2, I can supply you two O-rings shipped first class ... $3.25 ... paid through PayPal. So PM me if you want/need O-rings for your EX-1 or EX-2. I dont have a bunch, only enough to help out a few members with each model.

Thanks

ps. Just need to confirm the neck size on the EX-1 .

Last edited by DarG; 11/12/2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Gasket or o-ring?

I bought a replacement o-ring for my Ex-1, but I'm thinking about trying something else, like a rubber washer, for a better seal.
Old 11/12/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Duh ... O-rings, sorry. I cant believe I did that. Yes I can.

I really am surprised by all the reports of leaking. I had one leak and it was due to dirt on the O-ring. Cleaned it up, cleaned the groove on the skimmer mount and that was it, no leak. I keep the stock O-ring lubricated with a non-toxic silicone and teflon lubricant and the stock O-ring is still fine.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I have replacement O-rings for those who need them.
Old 11/12/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Matthew, that really does stink!! After waiting all of that time to get it, the thing arrives broken. I must say though, the box looked g reat next to the one that arrived at my house. My box was all dented and the corners collasped. I was affraid to open the thing. Your box looked perfect. Mine had the same shipping foam bag stuff. My pumps were not connected though. Even with all of the box damage and the cup installed, the thing was perfect.

I do agree that some of the glue spots and stuff are pretty sloppy. I wouldnt worry to much about the scratches, although it would be nice to get one that was scratch free.

I wonder how long its going to take to send it back and wait for a new one. Lets just hope the next one is all good. I don't think your going to be able to take another let down. ;-)

Good luck to you man.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

just got my EX-3 going a week ago and it's looking good more pic's to come

Old 11/12/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

After some careful thought I guess I over reacted to the craftsmanship thing. I look at the skimmer and cannot notice any of the flaws unless under extreme close examination.

I have decided that after returning the DAS ex-1 that I want to get an ex-2 instead. I hope it will be of better build quality but if it's not it will not matter, it will not hurt the performance and I am going to get a great skimmer for a great price.

I already sent ORCA an email seeing if they have any ex-2 left in decent shape. Last time I emailed them they responded back with great enthusiasm. I am still waiting on petorama, I hope to receive an email tomorrow.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts and comments

-Matthew
Old 11/13/2007, 01:00 AM
saltwater in my veins

Looks just like mine did... Mine had those scratches under the top of the collection cup, imperfect glue lines and some rough cuts as well... All are really impossible to notice once set up though...

It does not bother me, but is definately something to be aware of that is what you are looking for.

Overall the it is solid in both build and performance IMO. And the price can't be beat, so some rough craftsmanship was not all that unexpected from me and I only mulled over it for a short period.

I was more ticked at the sticky residue some packing tape left that they used to hold the PVC to the body with. Having a clear body was important to me and I spent the time to get "goof-off" and get it off.
Old 11/13/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I already got 3 emails back from ORCA about the ex-2 and nothing back from petorama.

I am hope this will all go smooth with petorama, when other people had broken skimmers did petorama send a call tag?

Thanks

-Matthew
Old 11/13/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

if your ordering from orca tel them to take the skimmer apart and wrap everything seperate they send there skimmers full assembled and that could mean another broken one good luck this time ...youll be happy they are great skimmers for the price
Old 11/13/2007, 04:11 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
I already got 3 emails back from ORCA about the ex-2 and nothing back from petorama.

I am hope this will all go smooth with petorama, when other people had broken skimmers did petorama send a call tag?

Thanks

-Matthew
i know they have just shipped replacement part for broken ones. I not sure how they handle returns. I don't think they have anyone ship the broken piece back to them....
Old 11/13/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
i know they have just shipped replacement part for broken ones. I not sure how they handle returns. I don't think they have anyone ship the broken piece back to them....
Well if they don't respond back by Thursday then I will call my credit card company.

It's kinda funny because after ordering the ex-1 and them telling me they were out of stock, I almost ordered the ex-2 from ORCA and then would have had to send it back anyways...

I am probably going to order the ex-2 tomorrow from ORCA. They already sent me pictures and everything! Great company that responds to its customers.

-Matthew
Old 11/13/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

The only real problem with DAS / Pet-O-Rama online is that they dont have anyone specifically dealing with the skimmers and online purchases from that website. If there was a contact phone number and/or 1 person who's job, in part, was to handle the online orders, I dont think they would have any issues.
All the emails that I got were very polite and seemed genuinely interested in customer service.

I just think that they are tied up with their display manufacturing business and the skimmers and online sales are on the back burner. Its not that they dont take care of returns and other issues, it's that they dont have anyone to take the time to deal with it as a regular part of their job description so they take care of things when they can, not as they should. That's the impression that I get anyway. It's hit or miss with them. If I didnt know of this thread or their reputation of being very slow, I would think that they were great to deal with just based on my personal experience with them.

It's too bad really, they have some great skimmers right out of the box.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:10 PM
Charleston Reefer

Yeah i agree darg. I just don't think they sell that many skimmers to have someone who just deals with online sales. When i starting researching this skimmer at the beginning of the year almost no one heard of these skimmers. Now they are one of the most recommended skimmers on reef central.

it would be awesome if ocra systems added the ex-2 and ex-3 to their website so people wouldn't have to go through so much trouble to get skimmer from them. Matthew maybe suggest that when you order your ex-2.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

I need to decide on a skimmer fast. I'm setting up a 100 gallon heavily stocked SPS propagation tank. Will the DAS EX-2 be overkill? I'm afraid the DAS EX-1 will be underskimming for great SPS colors.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

the bigger the better ex2
Old 11/14/2007, 02:56 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by hiepatitis
I need to decide on a skimmer fast. I'm setting up a 100 gallon heavily stocked SPS propagation tank. Will the DAS EX-2 be overkill? I'm afraid the DAS EX-1 will be underskimming for great SPS colors.
i use a ex-2 on my 90 gal. Everything is doing great...
Old 11/14/2007, 04:21 PM
Lo?

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
i use a ex-2 on my 90 gal. Everything is doing great...
I use the ex1 on my 90, and everything is doing great for me also.

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I am planning on an ex-1 for my 75g sps dominated, heavily stocked tank w/ 40g sump and 80g frag tank. It will be less because of live rock and what not. I will also be running a huge refugium with mangroves.

I finally received an email from petorama today that they already sent out a new skimmer with a call tag for the broken one to ship back. So far petorama has been doing great besides slow email response. I think it's because they are dutch and what is in Holland...?

AMSTERDAM! LOL

Well I got a kick out of it.

-Matthew
Old 11/14/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Ok someone give me a reason to not pull the trigger. My wife is 7 months pregnant so I gotta make the best of my money. I'm gonna give it one more day of thought but looks like I'll get the EX-2. I was also looking at the Tunzes, H&S, BubbleMaster and ATB's. But it seems like the DAS is the best value.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:53 PM
Charleston Reefer

Hiep- Just make sure you can fit the EX-2 in your set up, its a big skimmer. If money is tight just get the ex-1. It can handle a 100 gal.

Matthew- Good to hear petoramma is getting you a new skimmer! Post some pics when you get it set up.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

My EX-1 handles by 135 just fine.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:02 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1250720