Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Deltec MCE300 or Remora Pro

Building a new 48gal long (48") reef tank. Planing to keep lots of corals, softys, LPF and SPS. I need an hang on skimmer, the tank will be sump less. Wich one would your prefer? Deltec MCE300 or Remora Pro (mag3). I know there's a little price difference but I don't care.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

DELTEC! Do NOT buy a Remora.. you will be very PO'ed that you wasted your money! If the Deltec is too pricey, there are other options out there as well such as the Bermuda Rogue skimmer (HOB) and Octopus, I have a 100F Octo on my 45g cube and it's working good so far. But pretty much everyone will tell you that Deltec is the best, especially if you're willing to pay the money

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/11/2007, 08:45 PM
clownfish fan

i upgraded from the remora to deltec and i dont regret it the deltec pulls 4x the skimmate.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

I have the mce300 on my 75 and love it. And doug from deltec has excellent to deal with
Old 11/11/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

I have both an MCE300 and Remora Pro w/ Mag 3.

The Deltec MCE300 is superior in every way.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Can't speak for the Deltec but the Remora is a POS! I bought a Pro and initially I thought it is great (even gave it a good review here on RC) but it quickly went down hill and never came back .
Old 11/11/2007, 10:09 PM
The FM UL Sys. guy

The Aqua C(AquaCrap in my eyes) Remora skimmers are no good. The Deltec MCE300 will do much better than the Remora and will keep you satisfied by providing you a cleaner tank.

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 11/11/2007, 10:19 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I have used both. The Deltec works great but has a tiny skimmer collection cup. MY Remora Pro has never failed me, works great, pulls lots of skimmate and has a much larger collection cup. If I had my choice again I would get Deltec ONLY if it had a much larger collection cup OR a Remora Pro.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:23 PM
One Good Friend

Remora pro is one of the biggest waste's of money around. Completely outdated like the injection crapper it uses. Aqua c has great customer service, just with they had decent skimmers.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:29 PM
g l a s s b o x

if you can swing it, get the mce600. it really is a monster. click our red house to see action/nog shots.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 11/12/2007, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

HAd the remora hated it, but i would not get a deltec HOB either.

I have seen way too many thread about there Deltec HOB overflowing which = bad carpet
Old 11/12/2007, 07:27 AM
Generic Member

I'd get a sump and a good skimmer.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:19 AM
g l a s s b o x

kdb-if you read those threads you'll find that all the floods are within the first couple weeks when the skimmer is breaking in, cup is not set high, and air flow is not restricted as said per the instructions. i am guilty of not doing that, and i had an overflow....since then it's been problem free.

another thing is the performance is effected by water level...if you're water level drops an inch, performance drops a bit and you naturally lower the collection cup.... but then when topping off, there is less restriction (gravity) on the intake of the pump and the cup must be again readjusted.

if you use a ato, then this is not a problem....but many people without sumps like myself do not.

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 11/12/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

alright... Deltec it is.

I had a MCE600 on my last tank but i found it very noisy... Is the MCE300 more quiet?
Old 11/12/2007, 08:31 AM
Generic Member

That wasn't the case for me. The skimmer was still randomly overflowing for no reason after two months. Air all the way open, cup up very high. The instructions state the air should be @ 2:00. At that setting, it was impossible to not get a daily overflow.

My issue is an HOB skimmer, especially a high end one like a Deltec, should be designed so an overflow is not possible. The other thing I didn't like is the very small collection cup. That could have been designed much better.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:39 AM
g l a s s b o x

volmek...ours is extremely quiet. did you have the rubber feet on the under side of the pump?

Old 11/12/2007, 10:24 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1249142
Old 11/13/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

I really don't think a overflow is possible with a deltec MCE 600 unless you have it setup wrong. So IMO a overflow = user error. I have had two mce600 and never had any of those problems. Ive even tested both skimmers to see if it was possible to overflow. End result was the skimmate just going right back into the skimmer like its suppose to.
3x Koralia 3's
Litermeter3
Dual stage Ranco controller

Matt
Old 11/13/2007, 07:13 AM
Generic Member

MCE600 Overflow is very possible. Since I've seen it happen many times, that is not even a question. Lots of people have had the problem. When I posted about it on the Deltec forum, I received several PMs from people telling me they had the same issue and got rid of the skimmer for just that reason. It is not "user error". Its a bad design. Why do you think its "not possible"? The tiny little overflow tube doesnt work. IME the foam goes right past it, out the top of the cup and all over the floor. I've got no personal agenda here. Just posting what my (and others) experience was with the simmer. YMMV

To help others, please explain exactly what the user set up wrong that would cause this. I worked with Marvin of Atlantis Aquarium, a Deltec distributor and noted "Deltec expert" on this problem. You should fill him him in on this user error as well since he obviously doesn't know how to set one up either.

Last edited by sjm817; 11/13/2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:10 AM
g l a s s b o x

sjm, i thought i read your friend was the user.... needless to say, the only time ours overflowed was because of user error. to counter your post i've had numerous PM's saying they purchased a deltec hob and couldnt be happier. it's all relative.

if the skimmer isnt set up properly it can skim faster than the tube can overflow...that means there is either something in the water or air (e.g. paint fumes, house hold cleaner fumes).

back to the post, volmek good luck with your decision.

eric

Old 11/13/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

deltec

go with the deltec
Old 11/13/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

yep I'll go with the Deltec.

SJM817, my old MCE600 overflowed only once and it was totally my fault. I had niverted the cover of the collection cup. The little hole on that cover was'nt on the right side. Once I turned the cover around , I never had any other problems untils my tank cracked... but that's an other story : (
Old 11/13/2007, 10:02 PM
Generic Member

Please define User error. I have yet to have anyone tell me what that is. Again, I went over the setup with Marvin. There was no "user error". It was set up correctly. There isn't that much you could do wrong. Yes, it was a skimmer I set up on a friends tank. I dont see how that is relevant. I'm glad you guys didn't have big problems with your MCE600s like others have. I never said everyone has the problem, but many have. Again, my point is an HOB skimmer should be designed so that it CAN NOT overflow. The MCE600 certainly can and does.

I never even mentioned the set screw issue causing body deflection which also causes it to leak.

Last edited by sjm817; 11/13/2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

ive never used a deltec my remora pro in sump has work great for over 3 years and running always pulls lots of crap out ive read lots of good things about remora untill this thread
Old 11/13/2007, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the floor guy
ive never used a deltec my remora pro in sump has work great for over 3 years and running always pulls lots of crap out ive read lots of good things about remora untill this thread
Then you haven't been reading much on the Remora or are very selective on which threads you read.