Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2003, 08:18 PM
B'rer Reefer

I Got The Head! I Got The Head!

Okay, those of you that are familiar with my website may remember that one of the tankmates I've been trying to identify was my so called Mystery Worm. Up until now, this was the only image I had of him.

This creature has been in my tank for at least 3 years. During that period, I have only seen it three times, all but once when I had a camera nearby. It has black 'velvity' skin, about the circumference of a pencil and seems to prefer darkness. Although I've seen it, I've never got a decent image of it's head...until today. While rearranging some rockwork, I obviously disturbed it and sent it packing. I ran for my camera, fumbled around for a couple more minutes and consider myself lucky as hell to get these two shots of it's head.

A couple other things: It's body is not round, it actually leans more toward flat. Also, it's tail is almost paddle shaped (I missed that, of course). And finally, it's about a foot and a half long!!!

If you have any ideas about what this 'worm' could be, please let me know so I could include it in my site update. Thank You.
Old 02/01/2003, 08:26 PM
RC Staff

WOW!! That's a wild looking worm. Keep us posted when you get a good ID... Maybe Dr. Ron can help.

Thanks,

Ryan

These pretzels are making me thirsty...
Old 02/01/2003, 08:33 PM
unknown reefer

Can it move fairly rapidly? Say, a centimeter or so per second? I saw a light pastel colored worm in my tank a couple of times with what looks like similar bodily dimensions. The one I saw in my tank was probably between 2 1/2 and 4 inches. I don't have a id handy, but, there were several which could have been my worm. I'll see if I can find it.

BTW, the one I saw in my tank, looked like a snake slipping through vines. Also, there may be more than one in your tank, just a thought.
Old 02/01/2003, 08:54 PM
Reef Crazy

I can't answer your question, but the subject line got my attention.

I know... I'm bad... very bad...
Old 02/01/2003, 09:06 PM
10 & Over Club

64Ivy,

That is the biggest flat worm I have ever seen . You are very lucky to get a couple of pictures like that. Since you are so lucky, did you buy a lottery ticket?

North Bay
Old 02/01/2003, 09:15 PM
forever newbie

64Ivy,
FWIW,it may be a worm from the phylum Nemertini.You might want to check this site out www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/nemertini/nemertini.html

Give it a shot, you might just want to browse trough it.Some worms from that phylum reach arround 100ft in length

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo

Last edited by zenya; 02/01/2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02/01/2003, 09:38 PM
unknown reefer

zenya, that's the family I was thinking of (no, I didn't find the books).

BTW, the link doesn't work here.
Old 02/01/2003, 09:43 PM
B'rer Reefer

Zenya :

Link isn't working for me.

K.Lee :

Mine moves pretty slowly. I hope it's a loner because of it's size. As I've said, it's been around for a few years now. I would guess by the shape of it's mouth, it's a detritus eater.
Old 02/01/2003, 09:47 PM
unknown reefer

Thumbs up

Ok found the book. Digging.

FWIW, Nemertea is a pretty big Phylum.

I found a worm, with almost identical markings to yours 64Ivy on in "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, V. 3 First Edition", Fossa and Nilsen, Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag: 2000, pp. 92. The animal pictured there is Notospermus tricuspidata, and was photographed according to the text off Papua-New Guinea.

The difference in the reference is that the worm is much "fatter", like a contracted leach, but I imagine that worm may have been disturbed since it is in a "U" shape and on a flat rock.

The actual Family is Lineidae for Notospermus spp. which is what I think your worm is.

Also for identity, the "W" marking on the head of N. tricuspidatus is used according to the text referenced above. The common name for the animals in the Phylum Nemertea is Ribbon Worms.

Last edited by K. Lee; 02/01/2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02/01/2003, 09:48 PM
Compulsive Reefer

I had something looking exactly like this in my nano! For a minute I was thinking I had some sort of hard to kill eel. I cant wait for a positive ID, 64ivy! You are a great photographer BTW, and I enjoy your website.
Old 02/01/2003, 09:50 PM
forever newbie

I think I fixed the misspelling ,try it once more.
FWIW,if it is one of them,they're predatory worms mostly and prey on other worms and some crustations,I don't think they preay on corals.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 02/01/2003, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stereomandan
I can't answer your question, but the subject line got my attention.

I know... I'm bad... very bad...
LMAO!!!

Tank Specs:
60 Gallon Reef
60lbs Live Rock
80lbs Live Sand
4x55 PC Lighting
Old 02/01/2003, 09:57 PM
yes it's my aquarium

WOW! That's a new one on me! Fantastic!
Old 02/01/2003, 10:21 PM
unknown reefer

According to "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, V. 3 First Edition", Fossa and Nilsen, Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag: 2000, pp. 88-89, almost all worms of the Phylum Nemertea, aka Ribbon Worms aka Proboscis worms is that they can use their mouth parts for defense as well as consumption. So they can bite IOW. Also, they are almost all carnivorous, but not necessarily a killer/predator.
Old 02/01/2003, 10:36 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by K. Lee
According to "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, V. 3 First Edition", Fossa and Nilsen, Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag: 2000, pp. 88-89, almost all worms of the Phylum Nemertea, aka Ribbon Worms aka Proboscis worms is that they can use their mouth parts for defense as well as consumption. So they can bite IOW. Also, they are almost all carnivorous, but not necessarily a killer/predator.
Yep,that's what I was trying to say
in my clumzy way.

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/01/2003, 10:56 PM
B'rer Reefer

As long as they can't bite through an inch and a half of acrylic, I guess I can deal with it. As for the predatory aspect however, I HAVE had a few 'disappearances' over the years.....Hmmmm.
Old 02/02/2003, 01:51 PM
B'rer Reefer

...So for those who are interested, the worm appears to be Notospermus tricuspidatus (A Ribbon Worm) which, according to TMCRA v.3 pp 91, "..occurs along East Africa and the Ryukyu Islands, and on to Guam and the Great Barrier Reef". It also lists it's color as predominantly dark green which may be the case with this specimen as it's skin DOES tend to iridesce that color. I'd like to thank zenya and K. Lee for doing my research for me and pointing me in the right direction. I'm embarrassed to say that I own TMCRA vols 1-4 and never made that discovery though I do look through them rather frequently. So thanks again, guys. It appears the mystery is finally solved.
Old 02/02/2003, 02:02 PM
forever newbie

Glad you can finally rest easy
Try rearanging your rocks wearing gloves,you never know where this big fella is

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/02/2003, 02:12 PM
unknown reefer

Thumbs up

Your welcome! Sometimes we just need a push into the right situation to get what we need even when it is apparently right in front of our eyes. At least, I believe that.
Old 02/02/2003, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

there is a section on ron shimek's site about these Ribbon Worms or Nemerteans worms,
http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm

there is also a load of other wierd things.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:08 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

i just found one of these in my tank, got some decent pics
wondering if anyone has anymore info about this worm, as a google search isnt' turning up much

Last edited by twon8; 11/11/2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:18 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Holy Old Threads Batman

Sorry I dont have any info on this worm for ya, but in your pics Im not seeing any worms in there...
Old 11/11/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Man thats a crazy worm... I wonder if 64ivy still has it. Probably should pm them.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:28 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner
Holy Old Threads Batman

Sorry I dont have any info on this worm for ya, but in your pics Im not seeing any worms in there...
try refreshing this thread. i had posted the wrong pics at first.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:53 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
try refreshing this thread. i had posted the wrong pics at first.
Ahh theres the worm That thing is cool lookin...how long have you had it?