Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Arrow Hey Guys!

Hey,
My name is Sean, and I am friends with reefman13 and saltyfishy123. They have just gotten me interested in the reefing hobby.

Here is an idea of what I am thinking of doing for my first reef...
I am Buying a 40 gallon breeder from reefman13, and i am going to be doing some kind of fluorescent lighting, either T5 or power compact. filtration wise, i am thinking about doing a Marineland Emperor power filter 400. I may also end up doing a nano-skimmer of some kind as well.

as of right now, i have none of the equipment except for the tank. So, if anyone happens to have a filter, any kind of 36" fluorescent light strip (powerful enough to grow corals), a heater (titanium), and any live rock or live sand for sale, please LMK.

I also hope to be joining the club at some point in the near future.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

i would suggest getting t'5s they just make everything keep its color much better. An emperor would be ok for now but i would save up or just make a sump. I know its a little more cost but all the HOBs that i have had on my reef start to grind really loudly after a while. I don't know if it is from the salt or more llikely the sand that gets sucked up into the filter and you can also have a probelm with too many bubbles. I have a tetra tech HOB right now that i'm useing untill i build my sump and my tank is very cloudy just from all the micro bubbles.. A skimmer is also a must have for saltwater. I would get the best equipment that you can aford the frist time instead of buying 2 or 3 cheeper pumps or skimmers
Old 11/09/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice!

My foot says hello and my hand says good bye.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Don't go with an emperor! You'll regret it in the long run. I started with an emperor 400 10 yrs ago and water was never clear. Do it right the 1st time and you'll save money in the long run. That means skimmer, RO or RO/DI water, and T5 or halide lighting.

Steve

"The mystery of existence is too great that there should be only one road leading to an answer." - Marcus Aurelius
Old 11/10/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

I have a seaclone skimmer i can sell you. Not the greatest skimmer but its ok for a small tank. since your new to the hobby ill sell it for cheap...pm me if your interested.. Im always looking to get someone new into the hobby!
Old 11/10/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

YGPM
Old 11/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. From what I have read, it seems people are pretty strongly against the power filter, so I will stay away from that. So I guess some kind of nano-skimmer is now on my list. Reefman13, tipped me off about a new nano-skimmer that Euro-Reef is introducing that fits in the chambers of the nano-cube tanks. He also said that he will be getting one as one of the Beta testers, so he can tell me first hand how he likes it, and honestly, for $80 you can't go wrong....can you?

Thanks fitch4 for those great offers.

The only thing is that I am waiting to finalize my job, and until that happens I really don't have any money to really start buying things. So thanks fitch4 and craiglanda, but I don't think I am going to really start getting serious about buying things until I get my Christmas allowance.

Old 11/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

No problem man... honestly you would be better off with a euro reef skimmer than a seaclone.. I was just trying to virtually give it away to help you get started.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I plan to set up my tank in my room anytime soon, such as a month or two, and i plan on having all my equipment by the end of December for Christmas and for my job i might get.

is this too optimistic?

Old 11/10/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Setup by then is reasonable... I wouldnt expect to be fully stocked... If there a such thing as being fully stocked haha! I have been on here for a few months or so, and everyone is really helpful so im sure people will be willing to help you get going. So you will have support by many others. Being fully setup is also one of those things that doesnt exhist because once you start you will always wanna upgrade, change something, take away this, add that, ect.. So the main thing is be patient for that is the best advice anyone can give about this hobby.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i am being very patient on my tank, but i don't plan on being fully stocked but at least up and running and my water flow be set before i put my live rock/fish/corals in my tank. thanks for the motivation craiglanda and the advice. I plan on getting I'm tank in a week since I'm $10 short of the price (which I'm getting a huge deal for for a 40 gallon!), and that to be at least in my room and my friends Reefman13 and Saltyfishy123 will help me set it up in no time.