Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Tang suggestions?

Time for me to get my first real fish. I am getting a Tang but need some suggestions. I want something that is ok for 90 gallons and not so common with nice bright colors....suggestions???? I will only have one and not going to upgrade my tank for a long time since its so new

Last edited by jvr1102; 11/09/2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

I think purple tangs are cool and not so common as the yellow. Just make sure you make up your mind about one. I believe most people will advise you to keep only one in a 90 gallon, that may also depend on the size of the tang too, or how quick you plan on upgrading before they grow to be too big.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

The majority of tangs are very beautiful fish and I've definitely had my share of them, however they are not necessarily the best beginner fish as they are notorious for breaking out with ich and being a fairly difficult fish to care for. The other thing is that the majority of tangs should have a lot of swim room so a 90g is not necessarily that big to keep them long term in. If you do go forward with buying one, I'd suggest trying to find one that someone has had for quite a long time and is established to tank conditions. That is your best bet...powder blues are one of the prettiest but can be very aggressive especially as it grows. For a 90g I would stay away from Sohal, Achilles, Straitus, and Clown tangs as they definitely need a lot more swim room than a 90. I would say a yellow tang is most likely one of the easier beginner tangs to start with...and they are a great looking fish.
Old 11/09/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

true that, I actually went 1 year before i bought a tang. And still know people that will not buy the becasue they have been known as the ICH king.
Old 11/09/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

im a little late into this thread, but possiblly a Saifin Tang would be a good bet. 3-4in juv are quit hardy the desjarnini(spell check)from the Red Sea is a beautiful tang. But the best advise i could give is "RESEARCH, RESEARCH, etc..."know what ur buying before u buy it
Old 11/09/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Personally I think purple tangs are awesome looking in color. I like Blue tangs as well, but i know you want something a little more different.

Having that said, research whatever tang you want thoroughly. I say that because I think a lot of tangs can get aggressive when adding new fish to the tank. Because of that, I have always heard that (with most tangs) they should be added close to the end of stocking the tank. I am alomost 100% certain that is the case with yellow tangs and purple tangs, but I am not sure about other species.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 11/09/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Here is tang that you rarely see and has some crazy coloration:

Acanthurus blochii
Tail Ring Tang

125gal glass tank, dual overflows, RR
-120 lbs live sand
-150 lbs live rock
-Mud Refugium
-5 60" T5 HO
Old 11/09/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Blochii's get HUGE, they are awesome but are a terrible choice for a 90. They are not rare fish at all in the wild but are just not that common because there has been little demand until recently for these larger tangs.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

The kole, chevron and tominii would make great choices. I definately think a yellow is doable. The tangs vary greatly in their hardiness. The acanthurus tangs are in general, much harder fish to keep (CLown, achilles, convict so forth). I am of the opinion that the zebrasoma tangs are very hardy. I have had or kept all of them (except the Gem) and found them to all be pretty easy fish to keep. The thing is they love lots of water movement.