Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Question How to buy Interceptor???

I have a few red bugs on my Tort and would like to treat it.

I know that these can only be bought at the Vet. What do you guys tell them in order to buy these pills?
Old 11/07/2007, 05:42 PM
Team RC Member

Some vets will let you have it if you explain the problem and bring some papers with you. Or go get a dog about 75 lbs.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

I do have a dog. I can bring him to the vet, but just wouldn't know what to tell my vet since I'm not really treating my dog.

Also, there dang Red Bugs started to show last night. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any eggs yet. How many pounds would I buy the pill?

Can give me a link so I can print it and show the vet as well?
Old 11/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Team RC Member

Does the vet give you the interceptor for a 1X a month dose already? If I recall it is the 51+lb pill which has 23mg of the chemical. Look that up as I'm going off memory now.

The official stance of the board is to not promote decietful practices for controlled substances. So I don't want to get into trouble. Try printing these pages and take them to him. If he doesn't read them and blows you off then go to the next vet. Let them know you'll make them your family vet if they are open minded enough to investigate and learn new things. Then follow up with your promise.

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes.../Research.html

I just noticed the site is down and when it's back up, go to that page and then move around the site, there are treatment/research/discussion type pages there.
Old 11/07/2007, 06:07 PM
Team RC Member

Here is an official statement from this board:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1149097
Old 11/07/2007, 10:48 PM
Moved On

I am not sure why people find it so hard to get this stuff, order it off the internet...

1800vetmeds.com...
Old 11/08/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

not even vet meds will sell it to you without a prescription. the best thing is to take your dog in ask to have the dog put on heart worm prevention. do a test for your dog. then get the prescription.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Interceptor is a prescription only drug.

Print out information (from this site, for example) as to WHY you would like the Rx/Interceptor, take it to any vet, and he/she should have no problem giving it to you.

---
Wendy
Old 11/08/2007, 08:27 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Exactly JerseyWendy. I printed out the info, and took it to the vet clinic that my cats go to. The vet read through the info, gave me the 2 second "not appropriate usage use at your own risk" speech and gave me what I wanted. She wanted feedback on how it worked as well. Now it's listed on my account and I just go get more when I need it. It is always possible that if you don't have a vet and go looking for one you'll run into an old stubborn by the books individual. If so, move on to someone more educated and open minded.

I use it to treat incoming corals.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

funny i posted this exact same question a couple months back and it immediately got deleted!! oh well i guess, another reefer came through big time for me. thats also somthig you can look into, is ask fellow reefers in your area if they can donate some, it doesnt take a lot. you know what they say, one good turn...this info is still helpful to have/know for anyone trying to get a Rx for their tank problems.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:35 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dukes707
another reefer came through big time for me. thats also somthig you can look into, is ask fellow reefers in your area if they can donate some,
The reason it probably got deleted was that you are talking about distribution of controlled substances. The same point can be made without the ending "if they can donate some". I know it's a very subtle difference but it's a whole world away legally.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:16 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lowbudget
not even vet meds will sell it to you without a prescription. the best thing is to take your dog in ask to have the dog put on heart worm prevention. do a test for your dog. then get the prescription.
You are correct..I was wrong... I asked a live help person and they said I can either mail it in or they call...that is hard core...
Old 11/08/2007, 01:05 PM
Reef Weasel

Quote:
Originally posted by stonecold
I do have a dog. I can bring him to the vet, but just wouldn't know what to tell my vet since I'm not really treating my dog.

Also, there dang Red Bugs started to show last night. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any eggs yet. How many pounds would I buy the pill?

Can give me a link so I can print it and show the vet as well?
Your dog should be on some sort of heartworm preventative.

We have two dogs that are on something else for heartworms. Our vet sold us two pills which was enough to do four treatments on my tank. Do not go in and ask for a whole pack. You will more than likely get more help if you ask for just waht you need.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:13 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Don't lie and tell them it's for your dog. I was up front with my vet and told them it was for red bugs in my tank and they had no issues selling me few boxes of the stuff.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:20 PM
stop the insults, please

Just be up front. If the vet isn't ok with that, then get another vet. Most will be fine.

If they ask for documentation (reasonable IMO) I suggest bringing Delbeek/Sprung's "The reef aquarium vol. 3". It has documentation on interceptor and looks a little more official than a forum print out.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

I've tried 3 different places, but no such luck yet. Moving on to #4.:-(
Old 11/08/2007, 03:08 PM
OT Slaughter House

Canada....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

I "think" I've found a vet place that will see me the Interceptor. However, I was asked about the dosage.

As stated above, I only see a few on them on my Tort. I want to only treat the Tort in a separate container/cup.

Can you guys advise what dosage I will need?

Thanks!
Old 11/08/2007, 06:45 PM
GO DUCKS!

if the tort is in your tank i would treat the whole tank.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I "think" I've found a vet place that will see me the Interceptor. However, I was asked about the dosage.

As stated above, I only see a few on them on my Tort. I want to only treat the Tort in a separate container/cup.

Can you guys advise what dosage I will need?

Thanks!
You should treat the whole tank unless you remove all your acropora corals from your system during treatment (IE, place them in QT or treat the whole tank). Red bugs need an acropora host to live. Various research suggests the bugs cannot survive beyond 5 days without a host coral. However, the bugs will move around the aquarium in search of new hosts, so if you think you will be okay removing one infested coral for a few hours, and eliminate the problem, think again.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I've tried 3 different places, but no such luck yet. Moving on to #4.:-(
Best bet is to visit VETS in your area who specilize in Exotic pets.
Old 11/09/2007, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

www.petmedstore.com- no questions asked