Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Subcurrent Filter

Reefmack:

It appears it would mount on the back wall via suction cups. I agree it would take up some tank space but it appears fairly small and designed to fit into nano tanks. Also, if I get one, I plan on not using the mechanical filter sponge. I would use the first compartment for purigen or the carbon of your choice. I would use the bioballs compartment for phosphate remover media. I would also supect that because of the trickle down nature of the filter the chemical media would be more efficiently applied than through mere passive use over the skimmer or in the left chamber. I also like the surface skimming feature which certainly will also help the surface skimming flaw in the RSM design. Lastly, the two power heads on long adjustable arms looks like it would work great on dead spots such as the one in the back left corner of the tank right under the power heads.

As an aside, I am sorry to hear about your power outage and resulting losses.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

FYI — I use a second Korilia Nano mounted on the bottom left of my tank pointing straight across the back. It's hidden by my LR and pushes water nicely across the bottom rear half of the tank. Works pretty well.

Stu— I like that all in one, but I don't think I would sacrifice tank space for it. Maybe if I set up a DIY 29 gal or someting.

Mack — I'm liking my Tunze, but not loving it. The water level situation is a PITA. And the air screw is REAL sensitivo. Open it like 1/4 turn too much and you have a cup full of water in like 3 minutes. But, overall it's better than the crap RS designed for us.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

I'm wondering where your are planning on mounting this subcurrent filter? I'm also a little confused to the implementation... would all filter media to into the subcurrent filter, leaving the compartments in the RSM empty for flow? Or would this be addtional filter media for the tank? Currently I have a chemipure elite bag under my black sponge... would I relocate the chemipure to the subcurrent?
Old 11/08/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Will the subcurrent fit in the pump compartment of the RSM? If so set it to where the discharge is going in the tank and sit the body in the pump section and use it for the return.
Skimmer problems?? Dave's mod works....
Old 11/08/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Where can I find Dave's Mod?
Old 11/08/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Stathis there is an excellent site for imformation on RBTA's http://www.karensroseanemones.com/th...rentcolors.htm this is full of information.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Kmjoen I'm sorry I am a little late but reefmack was right it was a cannon XTI the pinker rose was with a fuji S-9000.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:41 PM
Genuine reef addict

At 7.75"H x 4.24"W x 2.25"D, the Current surface skimmer/ filter would'nt fit in the pump compartment, and with the mounting bracket it might even be a tight fit in the 3" deep back compartment. The pump itself would be in the bottom of the unit, so I think it would have to go in the main tank to take advantage of the powerheads. I may get one just to see what I can do with it, and if nothing else get an old 10 gallon down from the attic to set up as a QT tank if needed.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Reeferlv its on the last split I think the third page or so.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I just bought some chemi pure, now my question is where is the best place to put it?
Old 11/08/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Stathis & abyall - do you take pictures underwater or are the exterior?
Old 11/08/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

kmjoen230 exterior only
Old 11/08/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Mbdave and reefmack - how did you adapt your HQI to RSM , I mean time for T5 and HQ, I just recently bought Current-USA Outer Orbit, 1x150Watt MH, 2x24 T5 HO 420, 2x24W T5 HO 460, 6 blue/6 white LED but I have not installed yet, looking for your advise

Last edited by DmitriyY; 11/08/2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Mbdave and reefmack - how did you adapt your HQI to RSM , I mean time for T5 and HQ, I just recently bought Current-USA Outer Orbit, 1x150Watt MH, 2x24 T5 HO 420, 2x24W T5 HO 460, 6 blue/6 white LED but I have not installed yet, looking for your advise ( my spelling so bad )
Old 11/08/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

wow, they are really good!
I have an Olympus Stylus 720, its water proof.
Its great for vaca but I want something that gets great up close detail now that I have this tank!
Old 11/08/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Subcurent filter

I was going to mount the filter using the included suction cups on the back wall in the upper right corner in the tank on the right side after the intake gate. This way you would have the power heads on the right side. Would it be too wide to fit between the intake gate and the right glass?

ReeferLV: Yes, I was going to put my chemical filtration in the filter and not the back of the RSM. This is one of the reasons I like the unit.

Last edited by Stuart60611; 11/08/2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:28 PM
Genuine reef addict

DmitryY - in my case I bought a Coralife dual timer that has two timers for a night period and a day period, as well as one 24 hour outlet, and I have the T5 Actinics come on in the morning and stay on while the HQI comes on late morning. Then I hooked up 2 separate timers for each of the blue & white moonlights. It's a mess of wires, and it's difficult to remember now exactly how I hooked it all up. The basic way it runs is:

9:30PM - 8:00AM Blue Lunar ON (blue lunar on all night)
8 AM White Lunar comes ON (blue lunar still on)
9AM T5s ON (Both Lunars switch off)
1 PM MH ON
8 PM MH OFF
9 PM T5s switch OFF
9 PM White & blue lunar come on
9:30PM White Lunar OFF
Blue Lunars stay on till the T5s switch on at 9am

The times may not be exact, but that's pretty much how I have them set up. In the summer I also have a dual cooling fan switch on when the HQI comes on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For those that wonder what camera & settings were used to take a picture, there's a free exif viewer that after installation lets you right click on a picture and one of the options will be to view the exif information. It tells you the camera used, the camera settings & focal length of the lens, editing software, etc. You can find it by searching on Opanda Exif, or if it doesn't get blocked by Reef Central police, here's the web link:

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

It doesn't work on every picture, but it does on most of them. It doesn't work on Laurent's pictures for some reason - maybe because he uses a Mac instead of a PC? But, it's a nice tool to have, and helped me decide to get my Canon Rebel XTi - a nice camera at a not too horrendous expense. The predecessor Rebel XT is a nice one too. The Nikon D40 has been on sale lately too and I think that is a nice camera too.

Last edited by Reefmack; 11/08/2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Anyone wanting the best price on camera's go here http://www.usaphotonation.com/
Old 11/08/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

i work for BBY so im going to check them first! lol
Old 11/09/2007, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

Abyall thanks for the url .
Very useful.
kmjoen230 all my photos are exterior.
I think you can't use a waterproof camera in such a small aquarium (focus problem , even in macro mode).
In every camera that you 'll choose, you should have in mind a good macro lens.
I'm using an very old Olympus c-760uz with only 4mb , but it has very good macro.
I'm wondering if anyone RSM owner is using Calcium Reactor.
Some more photos of my ricordeas .Yuma and florida.

Old 11/09/2007, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abyall
Anyone wanting the best price on camera's go here http://www.usaphotonation.com/
Thanks for the info. I'm jealous of all of the great pictures. I think I just found my birthday present.
Old 11/09/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Anyone have an opinion on this? I thinking of purchasing it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-380W-Metal-Ha...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11/09/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Please becareful using any of these companies that offer prices too good to be true...do an internet search on the company above...

Greg
Old 11/09/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferLV
Anyone have an opinion on this? I thinking of purchasing it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-380W-Metal-Ha...QQcmdZViewItem
ReeferLV...I had one on my RSM while getting the NanoCustoms mod for the RSM hood...not a bad unit...there is a huge thread on these hoods on RC...I have the 36" duel 250w MH on my 40g frag tank and my frags are growing very well under it...

Odyssea Light Thread

The biggest complaint seems to be the ballast...they are very much over-rated...the 250w is actually putting out around 160w. but...you can always down the road put a new ballast on it (IceCap, PFO, etc) for a little over $100...and when it is time to order a new MH bulb get one of better quality...

All in all...I think it was a good bang for the buck...Only reason I sold the 24" after I got the NanoCustoms Mod done was that I didn't feel I needed that much of a light on my 20g QT tanks!
Old 11/09/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

stathis...love the pictures of the Rics! great colors and patterns...

I have been lately on a Ric buying stage...I have been scarfing up any local ones being sold by local reefers...picking up 6 or 7 more from a guy this weekend for pennies on the dollar compared to LFS prices!