Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 03:07 PM
I'm Not Perfect

Downsizing tank pays off

Well as some of you know I recently got rid of my 220 and downsized everything into my 54 corner tank. I just got my first full electric bill without the big tank running and WOW. I thought I was being very careful using everything as energy efficient as I could, but I guess even that didn't seem to work out as well. The tank that came down was a 220. Stuff that used electricity included a Sequence 3200 SW, two vortech pumps, three 400 watt heaters, four 250 watt DE fixtures run on electronic ballasts, four T5 bulbs run on electronic ballast (added towards the end) and a Mag 18 running my skimmer. My average kWh per day usage for Nov '06 was 72 (both tanks were running back then). Nov '07 it dropped to 38! My first electric bill under $200 in, well I can't remember when it was below $200.

I do miss the tank and will someday get back into that large of a tank (maybe bigger), but for now I will just enjoy a smaller tank and electric bill.

Keith
Old 11/05/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I just passed on upgrading from a 210 to a 550g for precisely this reason!
Old 11/06/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

You already know my feelings on this...although on a much smaller scale...converted from a 40g to a 16g.
Old 11/06/2007, 06:26 AM
I'm Not Perfect

I am still shocked at what it cost to run the tank. I honestly thought I was doing a good job using energy efficient equipment. Maybe I will go to a 16 and drop my electric down to $150, LOL.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I was shocked enough when I closed my pool for the season, saved close to $70 a month just on that alone. Hopefully with my wood stove I won't have to have the heaters in the tank coming on much. That should save me a few cents
Old 11/06/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

I shut my Hot Tub off this summer and saved about $60- $100 a month. Now I am going to trade my car in for a bicycle.....
Old 11/06/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Chuck, was it a Home Depot hot tub...I had one and man did it stink. I am running a Hot springs now that I think is pretty efficient.

Pool filters eat a lot of juice...I looked at my pump this year and noticed it drew 14 amps...I used to run it 14 hours a day and cut it down to 8 this year.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Hey fellas, new to the forum here........

I was just offered a 90gallon reef with EVERYTHING....for whatever I can offer. You all are making me think twice about taking her up on this......

Right now I have a 29 and a 15 reef...both doing quite nicely.....hhmm.....
Old 11/06/2007, 08:39 PM
CT Area Reef Society

Quote:
Originally posted by Emg2
Hey fellas, new to the forum here........

I was just offered a 90gallon reef with EVERYTHING....for whatever I can offer. You all are making me think twice about taking her up on this......

Right now I have a 29 and a 15 reef...both doing quite nicely.....hhmm.....

go for it!
Old 11/06/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

My bill has creeped up again. I am running three systems. I keep offering a downgrade to the wife...but she enjoys the fishes as much as I do. I figure I pay $1200 in cars that shrink in value why not sink @150-$200 in electric for tanks that grow in value!!
Old 11/06/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Kynan, My tub is a Coleman and it was one of the top tubs when I purchased it. Although it is about 8 years old now, I am sure they are much more efficient now.. I used it every day for that 8 years so it is worth it for me.

Emg2 if you are concerned with $$ just put the 2 tanks into the 90 and you would save some $$.. Bigger is always better. Only the guys with small ones (tanks) say they are not..
Old 11/06/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Little reefs and big sumps are in...or so I like to think..