Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I may have missed this in an earlier post but where are you all getting the Triton kits from. Also are they for the Maxijet 1200's only?

Here you go!!!
http://tritonaquatics.com/index_files/TheGulfStream.htm
Old 11/05/2007, 06:50 PM
One Good Friend

Anyone had directions on the G2 as the instructions won't open on my pc?
Old 11/05/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

I just got three in today and now have one up and running in the display tank. This thing is the BOMB!!! It has so much flow coming out that one mod is outpowering my wave2k wavebox. This GS2 is the real deal. No sound,vibration,humming, nothing!!!
TOTALLY AWESOME
Old 11/05/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link, looks like I'll be ordering another mod to try out.

My EcoMods are much quieter after I took them off my controller.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm also one that found out about and ordered three GS2 kits from Triton due to this thread. This was my first attempt at any of the MJ mods, but it only took about 10 minutes for each pump from start to finish. I don't have anything to compare them to, but for the price I think they are very well built and create an awesome amount of flow. I've included the instruction link for those that might need them. If for some reason you need to contact Triton their email address is also included. I am in no way associated with Triton, just think this is a good product for those that might want to save some $$$.

Carlos

Support@Tritonaquatics.com

http://www.tritonaquatics.com/index_...structions.pdf
Old 11/05/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

got the two I ordered today,just one has great flow, in my 120gal it goes from one side to the other with flow to spare.I'm impressed,although the suction cups seem like they may not hold under the strength of the flow. I think I'm going to look at the magnets and go that route.

"The sea is everything...
An emmense reservoir of nature
where i roam at will...."
CAPT. NEMO
Old 11/05/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Has anyone tried some of the smaller neodymium magnets? 60 pounds seem like overkill when you have a magnet on both sides of the glass. I was going to buy these:
Tom Fay let me know if you decide to try these out.I would think that they should hold.

"The sea is everything...
An emmense reservoir of nature
where i roam at will...."
CAPT. NEMO
Old 11/05/2007, 08:01 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Anyone had directions on the G2 as the instructions won't open on my pc?

Directions? We don't need no stinking directions

Besides real men don't read directions anyhow
Old 11/05/2007, 08:56 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, figured it out a couple minutes later. I would have to say compared to the sureflow, ecomod this thing completely blows them away. The G2 is much more flow, i mean much more and it is quiet as can be. I don't know why anyone would buy the others if they have a decent sized tank. And the customer service is top notch. G2, hands down the best.
Old 11/06/2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

http://www.tritonaquatics.com/index_...structions.pdf

The link on the page didn't work for me either. Pretty simple to put together though. Don't really need instructions, just make sure the washer is at the bottom end of the prop shaft.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr..Tang
I just got three in today and now have one up and running in the display tank. This thing is the BOMB!!! It has so much flow coming out that one mod is outpowering my wave2k wavebox. This GS2 is the real deal. No sound,vibration,humming, nothing!!!
TOTALLY AWESOME
Totally agree with you there. I don't even hear a rattle when it starts up. One of the few cheap mods that I'm very satisfied with. This thing is overpowering my Tunze 6000 and Vortech which are on the opposite side of the tank.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I received my 2 GS2's yesterday and they were incredible! They put out a ton of flow and were completely quiet. The material they are made of seems to be well made and very strong. The hardest part on putting these together was taking apart my Maxijet 1200 impeller. Not bad for a $14.99 mod (it was a pre-order).
Old 11/06/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seastorm
I received my 2 GS2's yesterday and they were incredible! They put out a ton of flow and were completely quiet. The material they are made of seems to be well made and very strong. The hardest part on putting these together was taking apart my Maxijet 1200 impeller. Not bad for a $14.99 mod (it was a pre-order).
Ditto - after building a few of these I'm impressed with the kit. Very good construction. I like the shroud, decent reverser. The interchangeable props & the ball mount make for a good value.

Thanks for the heads up on these kits folks! (I've seen the Algae Free, these are a tad better IMHO)
Old 11/06/2007, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

One of the best threads on RC. Caught my eye after a buddy bought the SureFlow kit. About pg 16 I was ready to pull the trigger on the ECO. Got a little farther and saw the GS2 came into the picture and the rusting ECO shaft cropped up. I will be buying the GS2, just want to wait for the magnet mount to see what that will be like before I decide to buy theirs or DIY my own magnet set up.

Thanks to all who provided a very informative read!
Old 11/06/2007, 12:06 PM
Reef Cowboy

I'm KMP's buddy with the SF kit. He tipped me to this thread. Finally caught up... After reading, I ordered gaussboys magnets and 2 GS2s. Thanks everybody for the contributions.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

well i've had my GS II going all night and not a peep out of it. what a great product, the flow is incredible. i think i'll do a diy magnet mount but i would definately suggest this product for anyone looking to get a maxi mod kit.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

How about this

Can you have too much flow in a tank??? I have mostly sps but do have some lps, and a couple softies. I got three gs2's running full throttle all the time. Now none are pointed straight at a coral nut they do look like the are in a hurricane!!I do have some sand moving but really not as bad as I thought. Going to give it a day more before I decide to trun down these bad boys!!!

What say you???
Old 11/06/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

As a result of reading this thread I bought two gs2's, $51 including shipping. I am impressed. A single pump certainly outperforms my Tunze Stream 6060 that cost $140.

I hooked them up to my Natural Wave timer, which I haven't been using for the last two years. For around $125 you can get the timer, two MJ1200's, and 2 fs2's and end up with a system with 2/3 the output of a Tunze combo costing almost $900. What a price break!

I already know the timer and MJs are reliable. If the Gulf Stream II kits stand up over time this is a great combination.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:08 PM
One Good Friend

Yep, the G2 is definately the king out of these three so far......and they have a lifetime warranty as well. Now the sureflow is suposedly coming out with a highflow as well so time will tell. I do think Matt at triton has done an unbelievable job and thats why i'd stay with the G2's.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I already know the timer and MJs are reliable. If the Gulf Stream II kits stand up over time this is a great combination.
Well it does have a lifetime warranty

Even if it didn't, what's the worse?

Prop is chewed = $1.15 replacement
Shaft rusts = $3.00 for lifetime supply of carbon fiber

Can't see the mount ever having an issue, it's simple & tough.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

kevin gu3, let us know how they work on the wave timer. i have the same setup and want to know how that will work out.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
kevin gu3, let us know how they work on the wave timer. i have the same setup and want to know how that will work out.
That's my use - ACIII is the "wavemaker"......though I currently have it on a long cycle (10 on & 10 off, alternating w/ two).
Old 11/06/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

KMP, the Natural Wave timer works. I retrofitted two old MJs, one was noisy before the retrofit and is noisy after. I suspect if I got a new impeller it would be quiet.

Also on startup there can be a rather loud clatter. This is not specific to the wave maker. I think when you fire up an MJ it has a 50/50 chance of spinning in the wrong direction. There is a mechanical stop to bounce it in the other direction when this happens. In the case of the GS I think the prop flies forward, hits the cage (big noise) and then bounces in the other direction. So if the tank is in your bedroom you probably don't want to do this. And I am concerned enough about wear and tear when the prop hits to put the timer on long cycle.

The only other problem is when then pumps kick on they cause a big surge and some splash on the surface. I end up with standing waves in the tank after a second or two. I'm not sure if thats a negative; mounting them lower down would fix it.
Old 11/06/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Kevin, you can make the soft stopper using the fishing line method that Dhnguyen was using

I've heard that the Seio controller will work great with the mods
Old 11/06/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin gu3
Also on startup there can be a rather loud clatter. This is not specific to the wave maker. I think when you fire up an MJ it has a 50/50 chance of spinning in the wrong direction. There is a mechanical stop to bounce it in the other direction when this happens. In the case of the GS I think the prop flies forward, hits the cage (big noise) and then bounces in the other direction. So if the tank is in your bedroom you probably don't want to do this. And I am concerned enough about wear and tear when the prop hits to put the timer on long cycle.
dhnguyen's solution earlier in the thread - fishing line (or substitute) for the stop. Can't speak for the sureflows but the GS2's it would be a fairly easy mod (good amount of head room, not even certain if you'd need to remove the stopper)