Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 10:50 PM
Koi Pimp

How about a 1000watt MH or HPS?

I know the spectrum of the bulbs would definately be off but you can pick these ballast/lights etc. off craigslist very cheap (they are pretty much sed to grow um medicinal marijuana=).. anyways Im thinking of one of these over like say a 4'x4' by 18"deep grow out tank with some actinic supplementation should be able to grow some killer SPS? The spectrum I think..Would be similar to a Iwaski... I would definately Not be planning on putting this light in a hood it would be suspended directly above the growout so it could be raised or lowered..

any thoughts?

Dan
Old 11/03/2007, 11:45 AM
Koi Pimp

I guess everyones afriad of such a big light? A member on another board is going to hook me up with a 1000watt 20k bulb and a ballast and I'm planning on doing an experiment with it sometime soon=) It better make coral grow light crazy otherwise it's a waste of electricity though. the ballast run around 9amps on 120volt or you can switch them to 240v and they only run 4amps..
Old 11/03/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

HPS is a real yellow light and would make your tank look bad. A 1000 watt bulb will heat up your tank and waste electric.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:45 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

not to mention any coral that close to that much light will probably bleach out in any other tank

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 11/04/2007, 11:45 AM
Koi Pimp

So I guess I wasn't to clear I didn't say it was going to be over a tank it would be suspended over a 100gallon grow out container actually a 100g Growtech Reservoir usually used for hydroponics that I got for free=).. I found a local member that has a 20k 1000w bulb I have a ballast already there cheaper than the ones we get for 250w=).. I'll probably try it this spring.. Basically I would have the light suspended at least a foot over the growout area... I dunno We'll see... If I can get amazing growth out of just that one light over a large Sps growout and I'm propogating./selling Im HOPING it would offset the electricity but more than likely it will be a waste of my time=)
Old 11/04/2007, 12:12 PM

Well, I use 1000W MH Ushio 20Ks over my tank, so you can PM me with questions. The HPS, regardless of whether or not it will grow coral, will not look good to you. Typically in the pot business, HPS is used for budding, and MH is used for growth, and that's why you find the switchable MH/HPS 1000W units available on craigslist and propertyroom.com.

Many LFS and commercial coral farming companies use 1000W lamps. And I have mine on light movers so I am lighting a 1000g tank with just 3 x 1000W lamps. That is a good savings over 12 x 400W lamps, both in bulb purchasing and electrical usage.

1000W 20K lamps are NOT cheaper than 250W lamps. Because they use an M47 ballast, the lamps have internal ignitors. They are a complicated bulb. The lamps I use run between $150 - $200 each, depending on where you buy them. They are also less energy efficient, but give a hell of a lot more usable light. As far as light spectrum, I do not use any other lamps and my tank looks great.

You can click on the red house to see pictures of my system and its lighting. I also cool my system with blowers rather than a chiller, so although heat can be an issue, a carefully designed system will be able to handle it.

The downside to using such powerful lamps is that certain corals cannot live under that much light. Even in "shaded" areas of my tank, I have never been able to keep ricordia and most LPS. I have been told in the past that may also be due to low nutrients, but whatever the case, if you plan on using 1000W lamps, you need to also plan an SPS dominated tank. If you want to grow softies or LPS, I wouldn't even try the 1000W lamps.

Good luck!
Old 11/04/2007, 02:47 PM
Koi Pimp

Right on Nice page and tank.. Im a big SPS man so that shouldn;t be a problem.. I'm going to set it up this spring or maybe sooner and see what happens-)..thanks I'm sure I'll be contac ting you on it
Dan
Old 11/04/2007, 03:12 PM

Any time Dan. If you get up to Washington, pay me a visit so you can see them first hand.
Old 11/04/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

too much power, wrong spectrum, innefficient...better to grow plants with them
Old 11/04/2007, 03:53 PM

Seriously? Wow, I better take mine down then! I am glad you set me straight.
Old 11/04/2007, 04:42 PM
Koi Pimp

LOL.. the plants would be more profitable though=)
Old 11/04/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I would also add that if your depth does not require such an intense light, you would be better off with (2) 500W or (3-4) 250W units. I remember seeing the efficiency curves for the 1000W bulbs and the really sucked!
Old 11/05/2007, 11:53 AM
Koi Pimp

BeanAnimal
I definately agree with you on that one. in a shallow tank/prop tank there wouldn't be reason..