Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Our first flood.....awwwwww, how NOT sweet!

Well, last night our daughter runs in our room and says....gosh mom, the tank is kind of cloudy.....we blow it off as, gosh, it just got topped off with auto top off and that has the pickling lime in it and occasionally it gets a slight haze for just a few....
So about 10 min go by and she yells again....there's water on the floor!!!
Then I hear Scott say to her "go get mommy!" Now I know something is bad....

So we shut the pump off fast....about an inch of water UNDER the tank inside the stand, sump looking like it is begging for water.....
Ahhhhh, you guessed it....something had to be with the drains clogged OR the overflow not flowing back....
So get everything dried up....and start our investigation....mind you that my salinity is now 1.020 and I am thinking......Oh cr$%^p. Ok, priorities I am thinking.....find the leak..worry about salinity 2nd....

well by golly.....what is the issue? We have come to the conclusion that too much seaweed that I put in earlier (my clip had fallen to the bottom of tank and I was lazy about getting it out so floated seaweed) decided to make its way as a clump into the drain....oh joy...now we have 2 drains....but the other drain had a filter sock and although it was working, it was not nearly as effective as it could have been if the sock was not there, however, the sock was only on since the day before.....

So we get all clean and back to normal....do a nice 40 gallon water change that was actually planned for the next day anyway....bring the salinity up slightly and will top off today now with salt water to raise it back slowly....

Everything is cleaned and moving well.....a bit of nervousness with sleep last night, but all the fish, shrimp and starfish and of course the corals look like nothing has ever affected their beauty sleep last night...ahhhhhhhhhh, however.....
It has affected mine, so today they shall eat a bit later than normal while I lay here and recuperate.....
The water made it down a bit to the garage underneath.....and decided to do a little rain shower on my convertible...HOWEVER, I usually have it parked with the top down, I happen to have the top up and I am counting my blessings......
We survived!!!
Lesson to share: No loose algae floaters and put less in.....my spoiled fish love this stuff but they are gonna see just a little less of it for now on..

END OF STORY....have a nice day!
Old 11/04/2007, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Eeek. Sorry to hear about that. I wonder if there is room in the overflow for something like this:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=2457

That would keep snails out, and a clump of algae would only cover part so would leave things open.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jack, how did I know you would be the first to respond! we do have something on them...that allows good flow and they were still open. As a matter of fact, somehow, it clomped up within the pipe, not at the end because the holes on the end were clear, but we will be checking these more often....and I am gonna go check these things out you just sent me a link for.....
we survived alone, but don't think that you were not on my mind to call.....
code911 Jack!!!
Old 11/04/2007, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Wow, that would be so scary! I'm glad you figured it out fast, and hope you get that problem fixed so it will not happen again. You guys stay DRY!

Norman
Old 11/04/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

I think I did mention you feed a lot of algae sheet......
I'm glad you caught it in time though, it would be one heck of a mess if it goes any further....I don't know how many times I've flooded my laundry room from making water....lol......
Old 11/05/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

AAAaahhhh the inevidable flood! Man I hate that and really hate it for your floors! I have a spare old dehu if you need it. I would definetly run one and a fan over the hardwood to try to dry the floor faster and keep cupping to a minimum. As many times as I have had a wet floor I don't really have bad wood damage though. It may move and swell some but seems to over time go back pretty good.

I thought tanks were suppose to be relaxing? I think one of those cool alarms to alert you to anything amis would be a cool gadget to have. I wonder if you could design a tank with enouph room in the tank to hold all the sump water by dropping the overflow highth and lowering the canopy trim to hide the not full tank? Just a thought for future tank planning maybe.

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 11/05/2007, 08:17 AM
MTRC Treas

Actually a simple float switch or a water sensor switch could stop that problem
Old 11/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I've been thinking about getting some water alarms. Does anyone have any that they reccommend?

Here's one, but I don't know how good it is.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...ter-alarm.html