Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

I sent my membership in on Monday. I have never fragged or even have a frag...is this something for someone with no experience. I'm very interested in going, sounds neat. What time is this at?
Thanks
Old 11/01/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I don't think experience would be necessary.
I have never really fragged anything but have read a lot about it.

main concern would be that you could meet the requirements for the individual animals.
I guess a cycled seasoned tank with appropriate lighting.

I havw not been to one before but would guess that if you feel you aren't prepared for a certain frag you could probably not take that one or could give it to someone else.

sean
Old 11/01/2007, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

My main concern is glueing my fingers together again. Did that twice last time holding SPS to rubble.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

The workshop will show you how it is done. If you are not sure of tank requirements of the pieces we are bringing in you can ask at the meeting. I am hoping we can get photos of the items and pictures and a breif discription of care requirements posted prior to the 16th.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
My main concern is glueing my fingers together again. Did that twice last time holding SPS to rubble.
I feel that is something that should be done at home. The coral will not stay put in transport.
Old 11/01/2007, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike660r
I feel that is something that should be done at home. The coral will not stay put in transport.
Very true, it's embarassing to glue your fingers together in public. Much better to do so in the privacy of your own home.

But as for the fragging, it was my first time fragging so attaching sps/softies was a learning experience as well that needed to be taught.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Okay, sounds like a learning experience for a lot of us. My lights are Nova extreme T5HO, the tank will be 3 months old by then. Maybe just do the more hardy ones..or if there is a such thing as beginners.
Note to self: Learn from MJ, don't glue fingers in public...much better to have giggling spouse and children.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:18 PM
15 & Over Club

Talking yeah glue your fingers at home

yeah at home...and noone else is at home at the time.
Who will dial 411 to get 911's numba if you glued both hands together?

I know...quick Lassie, dial the phone...that's it...no no no...not pizza hut you stupid dog!!!
Old 11/01/2007, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

MM i love frag workshops! Its time i join now that my tanks are set up. I am a member of PMAS (don't worry im not a steeler fan... work took me to pa for the last few years). The meetings are all at the zoo right?

*edit* every time im in salty i tell him they really need to expand to the east side. :c). Id work a weekend day every other week for him ;c)
Old 11/01/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

check www.c-sea.org for date and times of meetings also
Old 11/01/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

An East side Salt only shop would rake in the cash. Salty loses a lot of my buisness simply because I don't feel like driving two hours each way. Honestly it cost me just as much in gas as overnight shipping from internet sites, sadly. I know how much Dan does for the club and I would love to shop the store more but its the drive that kills it.

I'm not the only one, I know at least two other "closet reefers" near me that would shop an East side store also.... at the moment they both go to either RMS or Petco.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

yea, east side is depressing. i shop at AA (lets not flame them again for over priced stuff, by shop i mean go there to look, and ive bought 3 fish there). A fair east side shop would be great, but it must be pretty hard to do, otherwise there would be one, this is america. AA at least carrys a fun selection every visit. ive never been to a decent petco, which one do you go too?
Old 11/01/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

There is one in Mentor, when I went in Wednesday evening to buy new filters for my QT tank filter there were two dead fish in their salt tanks. I was in there a couple weeks ago and they had a few Naso tangs, the looked healthy but I stopped in a week later and they were all gone, either bought or dead.

RMS in Willoughby is not much better.

Other then Salty there isn't a single Salt only store that I know of North of Akron and none on the east side. I've heard of people from Erie PA driving to Salty to purchase.

Look at it this way. Opening a store on the East side would cut that buisness from the main store, but it would be supplimented by the people even further east that would be willing to drive the now managable distance to get to a Salty Critter.

Example: Mentor to Vermillion 1.5hrs, Erie to Mentor 1.5hrs.

Build it and they will come.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:18 PM
15 & Over Club

Thinslis...all he wants for Christmas is real Eastside LFS...a real Eastside LFS.

It's 2 1/2 hrs round trip for me as well. I just make it count when I go. My wife notices it too when the statements come in.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Seriously! What do we have to do to get a real LFS over here??? Full page add in every paper from here to Chicago and back??? =)
Old 11/01/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Not to be stupid, but what are the times for the workshop?
Old 11/01/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

its on the website with the directions to the zoo
www.c-sea.org
Old 11/01/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

by the time you factor in gas (and to be honest... you have to pay yourself for that 2.5 hours of driving (im in lyndhurst cleveyank) just joing AA's fishclub and buying a single livestock item there isnt all that bad. 5.88/lb for live rock is not the worst around either(i put a heavy premium on picking out my own pieces (i have rock in my tanks right now from at least 7 places and i only have a 2 40g's and a 7g.) you have to buy a lot to make a trip JUST to salty from the east side. lucky for me my work takes me to the near west side frequently so i can um, fudge things a bit to um, you know, um get paid, for um, most of the err, trip. ;c). I feel stupid going in a suit tho...
Old 11/01/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Ok lets run some math here....

From Madison to Vermilion its 85.5 miles one way, 171 miles round trip. Lets take that 171 miles and multiply by the rate at which a company expenses millage (covers gas and maintinace) .48 per mile... thats $82 it cost me to drive out to Salty. Overnight priority shipping cost $45, that gives me an extra $37 to spend on livestock or equipment.

Please do not miss understand what I am saying. I am saying that I would much rather spend my money at a quality store like Salty, but i have to be realistic, if Salty were on the East side, it would be Salty over online store every day. What Dan does for this club I owe him the first shot at my buisness at the very least. But in this case, the numbers do not work out =( Sorry.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

I went to the c-sea page, but couldn't get anything to open under the November 16th date. I could open the September one, that's the only one that has a line under for me. Am I not looking in the right place? Will this meeting be at 7:30, like the movie meeting?
Old 11/01/2007, 07:53 PM
T5 Reefer

All the C-SEA meetings are at 7:30 on Fridays unless it is an unusual circumstance. As far as I know the Frag Workshop (once called the "Frag-athon" ) is going to be held in the education building where the meetings usually take place. A few times per year we have to use the Aquatics building and it is pretty neat to be able to walk around at night inside that building.
To get to the education building you pull in the main entrance to the zoo and park right near the big crosswalk then as you are walking up toward the front gate you turn left and about 75ft away there will be a set of glass double doors. Just go through the doors and all the way back. You will usually see some reef geeks as you get closer to the room.

There are some chips and pop supplied by the club at each meeting. It is recommended to bring a cooler to get your animals home without losing too much heat and stressing them out. There is a raffle at each meeting so bring some cash too. I usually try to limit myself to about $10- $20 in raffle tickets but some people like to increase their odds. If you look at the value of buying an item and then figure that you could win it for only a dollar it's a pretty good deal

Hope to see you all there.

PS. If you just need directions to the meeting look on the C-SEA.org website under ... you guessed it... DIRECTIONS <--- click there to save a couple steps.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

It should be 7:30 pm but will be in the Education building at the entrance to the zoo
Old 11/02/2007, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

Thank you. See you then.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

From what I understand the Salty Critter is going to offer live stock within the next couple month online. I also hear he is doubling the size of the store.
Old 11/02/2007, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

I wonder if Dan would do a fish club delivery? All orders placed and paid by Wednesday get sent to the fish club meeting. I'd volunteer to do a pick up and delivery to help out our LFS deprived east siders.