Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

autotop off

I have a 30 gallon sump that I want to put an ATO in. What are some options that are too costly? My reservoir will most likely be a 5-7gal bucket (no room for much else). I would prefer an all in one option. (meaning I don't need to buy a different pump).

Thanks.
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/01/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

gravity fed...check out my build thread red house

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 11/01/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

only problem with that is that the ATO will be sitting at the same level as the sump. My wife has made it painfully clear that nothing is to be outside the stand...
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:25 PM
But what do I know?

I have the AquaMedic Auto top off, used to replace evaporated water with kalkwasser. I am happy with it. Cost less than $100. I have had it a little over a year. I had to replace the peristaltic tubing once (it comes with 1 replacement). The only negative I can say about it, is that it makes a loud clunking noise when it come on.

For less than $100 for a peristaltic pump with an attached float switch, I am happy with it.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 11/01/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

TUNZE
Old 11/01/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

tunze doesn't fit the whole 'not expensive' part though
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

i have the reeffanatic top off controller (see reefgeek) and use an aqualifter on top of a 5 gallon bucket as the reservoir. under $100 for the lot, including tubing.

i don't think you want more than a 5 gallon reservoir anyways, so you can't flood the system with fresh water if a switch fails.

i have the controller setup with a high water and a low water float switch, so if the water level gets too high it will shut off the top off pump (safety first). you can alternatively set up the second switch in the reservoir to shut off the pump if the water level in that gets too low. the aqualifter can run dry, so no need for that.

i like the aqualifter because it's cheap, can run dry, it's reliable (i've run kalk through it for over a year without cleaning it), and it won't do more than 3 gallons an hour so it's hard to screw up your system if you have a switch failure.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

drstupid, is this what you use?

http://www.reefgeek.com/equipment/Fl...y_Reef_Fanatic

It comes with everything you need, you just have to supply your own bucket? Doesn't need to be a 5g right? So no pumps I assume, it's just gravity fed to your sump, so it can run dry?

Azazael13, I'm in the same boat, I really can't have anything outside the stand, so I have to come up with a similar solution.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Kent float valve. This one is one a timer so every six hours the tank will get a dose. Had it for years with no problems. Wasn't very expensive.

Last edited by cloak; 11/01/2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

So dosing kal with the aqualifter, isnt that too much too fast?

Quote:
Originally posted by drstupid
i have the reeffanatic top off controller (see reefgeek) and use an aqualifter on top of a 5 gallon bucket as the reservoir. under $100 for the lot, including tubing.

i don't think you want more than a 5 gallon reservoir anyways, so you can't flood the system with fresh water if a switch fails.

i have the controller setup with a high water and a low water float switch, so if the water level gets too high it will shut off the top off pump (safety first). you can alternatively set up the second switch in the reservoir to shut off the pump if the water level in that gets too low. the aqualifter can run dry, so no need for that.

i like the aqualifter because it's cheap, can run dry, it's reliable (i've run kalk through it for over a year without cleaning it), and it won't do more than 3 gallons an hour so it's hard to screw up your system if you have a switch failure.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:34 PM
------------

I just ordered something along these lines...

http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html

The JBJ ATO is pretty cheap also.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ganjero
So dosing kal with the aqualifter, isnt that too much too fast?
no, it's been fine with my system at least. i evaporate 2-5 gallons a day on maybe 150 gallons total volume, depending on the season. i add kalk about 4 tablespoons at a time, once a week, pretty much based on my PH, when it drops below 8 i add more. too much at once makes my skimmer go nuts. i do need to add sodium chloride occasionally, the kalk + calcium reactor can't keep my calcium up where i like it (430+ is my baseline). i'm considering making a kalk reactor, haven't decided it's worth the extra effort yet.

pepshrimp, that's the controller. you need your own bucket, and a pump (if you pay $10 for an aqualifter you're getting reamed). the aqualifter is basically a diaphram air pump that can draw water, it's very simple in design and can run dry. perfect if you don't have space for gravity fed, like azazael's situation.

i think that two float switches are more failsafe than one float valve, but that's me. others disagree. i rely on the facts that the pump can't dose quickly and the reservoir can't hold much.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

they've gotten more expensive, but this is the pump:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~OE1137.html
Old 11/01/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

drstupid, do I need that air pump if I can run a gravity drain back into the sump? I may have room, so all I'd need is that auto top of kit? So it's best to put your 2 part in the auto top off so it's added that way?
Old 11/02/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

the reeffanatic is an electronic controller, it typically drives a pump. i guess you could get a solenoid that it could open, but you're probably better off with a float switch if you want to use gravity.

i've never heard of adding two part to the top off. i add kalk, ganjero expressed a common opinion about that practice (rate of evaporation does not correspond to need for calcium).
Old 11/02/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

This seems ok to me.
http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html I would just need a small powerhead or pump to go with it.
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/02/2007, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Pick up a used litermeter I, it may take a while to score one but for the cost (should be ~100) it is absolutly the most fail proof and trusted top off unit out there.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:31 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazael13
This seems ok to me.
http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html I would just need a small powerhead or pump to go with it.
That is what I use, except I got the next version that has 3 float switches. I put the 3rd in my ATO reservoir which is a 5 gallon bucket with a MJ400 pushing it. To make the system a stand nice in the bucket I made a little pvc tripod so that the pump and sloshguard are at approppriate levels.
Old 11/02/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

could you elevate it if it wasn't a bucket?
I use a square tote to hold 5g with a $15 Kent float.
So it only cost me about $20 total for an auto top off that lasts me a week.
There are some pics in my gallery.
Old 11/02/2007, 10:24 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

I use the Spectrapure LLC-S. It's a bit more expensive, but I like the fact that it has no moving parts in contact with the salt water -- so no potential for salt creep to jam things up.
Old 11/02/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosseau
I just ordered something along these lines...

http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html

The JBJ ATO is pretty cheap also.
ill back the aquahub ato. simple, easy. i believe it is aroudn $40.
forget tunze if you are on a budget.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 11/02/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Placed an order for the aquahub ato and an aqualifter pump to go with it. Thanks all
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Try the ATO from fishbowl innovations. It is a controller w/ a timer on it. It will shut down after (how ever many minutes you have it set for)if the float switches malfunction and doesn't break connection. It is a cool little unit. The only thing is that you will have to buy a pump. I have a aquamedic pump on mine and dose kalkwasser. Before that I had a maxijet setting in my reservoir. The entire thing will cost around 100 bucks. DOn't know if you are going to get an all in one setup for much less than that.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

what about using a digital timer with the aqualifter?
Old 11/02/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

So all you need with this http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html
is a reservoir and a small pump? I have a rio600 I could use, assuming that will work? Seems pretty simple enough, comes with 2 float valves, fits the budget nicely.