Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

DIY Glass tank ?'s

I'm a little confused as to how to building my tank 25"x20"x12" 1/2" glass. I've seen some people raise the bottom of the tank a little bit so the it kinda suspended and all the weight is on the silicone seal? But then I see the ADA tanks and the bottom of their tanks are 100% flat and the weight is on the bottom pane of glass-which seam the better method to me? Can anyone explain

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 10/30/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Why do you need 1/2 inch glass for such a small tank? It gives more surface area for glue contact and is more forgiving of imperfection in workmanship, but I think is quite unnecesary when done with care. 3/8 is plenty for 20" high, IMO.

IME, if you are going to use a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the bottom, the entire glass bottom of the tank should rest on the plywood. manufacturers don't do so for reason that it gives the user the flexbility of not using a whole sheet of flat plywood, I tend to think.

Also, IMO, the glass bottom should be cut to fit the inside dimensions as the predominant force is directed out, not up.
Old 10/30/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

I love the look of 1/2" glass plus it's rimless.

Old 10/30/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I don't remember where I read this, but a guy on here wrote an article about taking apart all kinds of factory made tanks and they were all the same, the bottom was flat with the sides... AGA puts the plastic trim on it but the sides of the glass are flush with the bottom. I have read other ways and I actually made mine with the bottom raised 1/4 inch off the bottom with the sides being what touches.. however I didn't feel comfortable with this so I put a bunch of 1/4 tile spacers under it (the same thing I used to raise it up when I was building it) so that the weight was distributed at about 40+ different points on these spacers. So far so good.. I am using 1/4" glass on 18"h HTH

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 10/30/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Yeah you want all the weightof thank resting on the sides not the bottom. I would raise the bottom up a little. If you have even a small area that isn't even underneath the bottome could crack.
Old 10/31/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

what if I build a little wood stand that will cover the edges but not the middle that way the sides are were the suport is?

Old 10/31/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
AGA puts the plastic trim on it but the sides of the glass are flush with the bottom.
How is this possible? It seems that if a plastic frame is put on the bottom edges then the bottom glass will be raised.

Plywood, especially the better grade plywood, is quite flat and won't cause any stress on the glass bottom without any plastic frame, IMO. One would take care to remove any splinters on the plywood.

mechanical protection of the bottom edges may be a factor for the plastic frame on the bottom in manufactured tanks.