Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

October CARC Meeting

If interested, I just spoke with Loretta at The McWane Center for a behind the scenes tour of their aquatic facilities. The meeting would be on Sunday, October 28th somewhere between noon and 5 p.m. She told me they have a 250 gallon RR setup that will be going up soon for corals and a few fish. If you've been before, the majority (if not all) of their current tanks are fish only with synthetic reef. It is a beautiful display and maybe we can help them get their 250 back up and running. Anyone interested please leave a post so we can get a count. Thanks
Old 10/11/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

I know that NARC is meeting on the 27th but you are also invited to this. And I think we should still plan a CARC / NARC meeting in the future as well.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

What's the cost? Any?
Old 10/12/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I would be interested. Would be me, my wife and (if possible) my 2 kids....
Old 10/14/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Mark, put me down for 5 people. And I'll throw out this suggestion, if possible let's shoot for about 2 or 2:30 to give people enough time to get outta church and everything. I know our preacher does good to shut up by 12:30. LOL
Old 10/19/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I am Loretta and will be giving the tour at mcwane. I figured I know the answers to these question and can answer any more anyone has. First, yes you will have to pay admission. I wish that wasn't the case, but I have no control over that. That being said the tour is free! Very few visitors have the opportunity to see the back of house area. I can probably count on my fingers the number of tours I give each year.
As for the question about children, as many of you know there is a lot of equipment used to run a tank, ours is all exposed so we can maintain it, also the top of our tanks are open. As long was your children can respect the do not touch policy I am fine with them being part of our tour. Most of the tours we give are to children and I know they really enjoy them.
This is the first tour I will be giving to a group that already knows what the equipment does and I am very excited to share my tanks and my knowledge with anyone who comes. Any more questions please feel free to ask
Old 10/19/2007, 06:29 PM
Coral Farmer

I plan on going!
Old 10/19/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Count me in for 4. What time?
Old 10/19/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I would love to try to attend as well along with my son.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Count me in too!

Brian D.
Old 10/21/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I am in for 2 and maybe more...
Old 10/22/2007, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Toytek suggested 2-2:30, which is fine with me. I usually don't work on the weekends, so I can come in anytime. Since I will be coming in I will most likely feed our large 8000 gal tank while I have everyone here for the tour (our weekend person will get a little break, I like feeding the fish). If there are any problems with that time let me know, I am very flexible (we are open from 12 to 6).

Loretta
Old 10/25/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Lorretta for everything. We are looking forward to the tour. At last count I believe we are looking at between 22 and maybe up to 30. If anyone wants to come early and let the kids (or adults) play, why don't we all meet downstairs (aquatic area) around 2:30 to 2:45?
Old 10/25/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I don't think that's coming early.... if I read correctly, I think the tour is going to start at 2:00..... if that could be verified, that would be great.

We have a membership, so I'm all for coming early for a little play time.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

I will come in around 2:00 and start the tour around 2:30. I will be downstairs (Lower Level). I was thinking we could meet by the bubble columns. They are just past the water wall and there is a window that looks into the back of house area (2:30). I will be on the floor around that area between 2-2:30 answering any questions from the front of the tanks for the general public. I will wear my name tag and am about 5'3 brown hair and will be wearing jeans (I should be the only employee wearing blue jeans). We will try and wait for the entire group to arrive before starting the tour. If you need directions or any other information you can check out the web site www.mcwane.org. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Loretta
Old 10/26/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up Loretta.

I'll probably be down there about 2:00. See ya then.

Eric
Old 10/29/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Thanks to Loretta on a wonderful behind the scenes view of everything on Sunday. Amy and I had a great time and are looking forward to all the plans in the future.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Agreed. Thank you Loretta. I really enjoyed the tour and meeting everyone.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

that goes for me and my son as well....very informative and an extremely intelligent host...thanks again
Terry
Old 10/29/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

umm... ditto
Old 10/30/2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Anybody take any pics ??