Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Stonefish? Thoughts and Ideas

I am planing a 180 or bigger in my basement for an inwall build down by my 15 foot bar. I have had a reef tank in my office for years. A fish only is not a mystery but as with the reef I figured I better ask questions. I would like some recomendations for equiptment and for stock list. I really do not want live rock at all if at all possible but will be adding sand. So give me some recommendations please.

Equiptment:
180gallon or bigger tank
Ice Cap 660 with bulbs for colors
Euroreef skimmer
Good sized sump Prob a 75 gallon
maybe a UV sterilzer
Sequence Pump Porb a Dart.

Stock list:
Riatta Lionfish
Queen Angelfish
Stonefish
Orange Anglerfish
Clown Trigger
Sohal Tang
Maybe a Hawai dragon eels
Old 09/30/2007, 08:51 PM
10 & Over Club

AS you know I'm a big fan of scorpionfish, but not a fan of stonefish.
While they have their ugly charm, they are considered lethals. Its one thing to get stung by a lionfish, its in a totally other stratosphere to get stung by a stonefish.

Assuming that you actually think you can keep a stonefish w/ the shopping list of other fish, they do quite well, but as you know get huge (like an american football size), and will in time most likely consume the other inhabitants.

Are you sure you don't want a scorpionfish instead, just as cool, just as ugly (like a S diabola), and not so---shall we say deadly
Old 09/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your thoughts. Only reason I mentioned him is that a local wholesaler here has had the same one for 2 years and no one wants him. He just sits in this tiny cubicle waiting patiently for his krill and ghost shrimp. I would like to give him a good home. Thats the reason for no live rock really and the added alage problem to as well.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

not to steal the thread or anything as this might help you as well, i have also wanted a stonefish but have had trouble finding any articles on care for them anyone know of any good ones?
Old 09/30/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I would not mix the clown trigger with those fish, and definitely not recommend mixing it with any type of lionfish. They are known for being very aggressive and killing lionfish by eating their fins.
Old 10/01/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

the biggest problem with stonefish is that they can easily swallow anything the same size as them-best left to a species tank
Old 10/01/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I dont know much about the stonefish. But I do know I would either pick a lion or a trigger not both. The trigger will most likely pick on the lion until it dies.
Old 10/01/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

What triggerfish if any do you guys recommend mixing with the lionfish? I really like the Trigger family and would like something with some color.

I really like the stonefish though. Humm. So whatever as far as size of fish I get it must be bigger than the stone. I see. Well he is a big guy coming in at around a 12 in long.
What do you guys think about the no live rock situation? Bad or good idea? I may just get dead base rock. Don't know yet.
Old 10/01/2007, 05:57 PM
10 & Over Club

most planktonic feeding triggers are safe w/ lions, such as blue cheek, pinktails, sargassum, an cross hatch. Its the coral crushers like clowns, undulatus, etc that frequently chew up lionfish fins.

I would say that any other fish that cohabitates w/ the stone has to be at least 2X bigger than the stone, preferably alot bigger. Stonefish routinely eat fish equal to their body size
Old 10/03/2007, 03:56 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkie
I would not mix the clown trigger with those fish, and definitely not recommend mixing it with any type of lionfish. They are known for being very aggressive and killing lionfish by eating their fins.
I completely agree. This is also true for the stonefish. The triggers mistake them for the rockwork, and start picking at them.
Also be warned that large angelfish also can have this tendency, both with stonefish and angelfish.

I agree with Frank that the planktivores are your safest bet for keeping a trigger with a lionfish.

Dave
Old 10/03/2007, 03:57 PM
RC Mod

Re: Stonefish? Thoughts and Ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzukibusa06
Stock list:
Riatta Lionfish
Queen Angelfish
Stonefish
Orange Anglerfish
Clown Trigger
Sohal Tang
Maybe a Hawai dragon eels
With that list, I think you want to go a LOT bigger than 180g, even without the stonefish on the list.

Dave
Old 10/03/2007, 04:02 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranzan
not to steal the thread or anything as this might help you as well, i have also wanted a stonefish but have had trouble finding any articles on care for them anyone know of any good ones?
Honestly, you're not going to find much. Most people don't want to come across as recommending these fish for the home aquarium. Scott Michael's Reef Fishes has a good section on them.

Dave
Old 10/03/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

thanks wolverine
Old 10/04/2007, 08:42 AM
Team RC Member

an angler fish is going to be a problem in a community tank as well - it will either be picked on, eaten, eat similar sized or smaller fish.

I think you need to reconsider your stock list. what fish do you like the best?

One suggestion that could work in a 180, but may be too tame for you:

-lionfish
-planktonic trigger (or possibly a pair of blue throats)
-smaller less aggressive tang (not a Sohal) - e.g., mimic, kole
-less aggressive angel (not a queen) - maybe an imperator, though they are on the large side
-non-piscivorous eel (zebra moray, snowflake) - or a small, less aggressive fish eater

If you want some color in a good sized fish that has presence but isn't a bully, consider an Australian harlequin tusk.

I would have some live rock in the tank. I think most fish need some cover and will be stressed without it. If you have light or no live rock in the tank, I'd also make sure you have live rock or some other biofilter medium in the sump. I'm concerned that with the bioloads you are thinking, you will have problems with sufficient filtration capacity without live rock. I'm not a big fan of wet-dry filters, but that is an option. You didn't mention any biofiltration in your first post.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

what do you think the min tank size is for 1 stonefish and maybe a snowflake though i tihnk that might get eaten
Old 10/05/2007, 10:07 PM
See if you can pingaso it

their ugly and dangerous ... do not move and will eat anything that fits in their mouth
Old 10/07/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

T-T-Trigger had one. I don't know if he still does but it might be wise to ask his opinions on care, what he would've done different etc. here is a post of his fish awhile back

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=stonefish
Old 10/25/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to bump this so late, I have had a stonefish for about 18mnths. She is my favorite fish ( no, I haven't lifted the tail to look, I'm just guessing on the fish's sex ).
If you have kids or anyone else in the house that might reach into the tank, I would advise against getting a stonefish. I have not had any issues with mine but I am VERY careful if I'm working in my tank.
Enough on that, mine is awesome but she has eaten many expensive fish including a Foxface that was about 5 1/2 inches long. Any fish you put in with one you have to expect it to eat and in this hobby it can get expensive.
If you do get one good luck to you and you'll see they do have quite a personality, beneath the gruff exterior.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

vezina think you could pst pics
Old 10/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Art and science

I have a 150gl with a true stonefish, orange toadfish, niger trigger, clown trigger , golden puffer, porkfish and a jeweled moray everyone gets along without any problems. I'll probably get rid of the porkfish though he's big and ugly but everyone is definetly right about the stonfish's mouth I've seen mine eat damsels that were 5'' and a maculus angel that was a little bigger than that. If the fish is not constantly moving and under 5'' it will get eaten
Old 10/28/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I have decided to Up the size of the tank to at least 300 gallons now with the basement plans. The filtration will be a standard refuge with a huge skimmer most likely a euro. The pump a blueline 100hd. I have not found a tank manufacture yet though.
As far as a stonefish it sounds like that I may be best to stay away from this guy. I am kind of going for some color since this tank will be the backdrop for a bar. not to mention I may add some more tangs to the list.
I forgot about the tusk Lisa Good call and skipp the angler. I agree now that I think about it.
Keep the idea coming. Thanks guys
Old 10/29/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

with a 300 your options greatly increase. tangs, triggers, wrasses, angels. i personally would mix and match those 4, i would keep 1 MAYBE 2 angels (although it is not greatly advised on this site, and could potentially be deadly) a wrasse such as a bananna or lunare, they are very active and colorful, a couple of tangs (yellow, sohal, different types) and triggers. you could have a humu, pair of bluethroats, or any other planktonic feeder. i would stay away from a clown, or titan, or undulate, or maybe even a queen. they all can be very aggressive, although im not 100% about the queen. (sorry for the post being so long, i tend to ramble= /)

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans