Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 08:42 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Too old for women to care
Old 10/26/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JR719
As listed in my occupation.... I have preferred to call it "Solid Waste". Now that I think about it, I'm going to have to change that one.

Actually, I ruin peoples lives......
I give them tickets that takes money out of their household budget.
I take their mode of transportation.
I put them in jail.
I take their freedom.
I take the property they worked so hard to steal.
I hurt peoples feelings when I don't let them do what they want.
I let some experience pepper spray, some a taser.
Worst of all,
I take children from their families.

Strangely enough.... I know it's crazy talk, but doing this actually improves the lives of others. Now that I think about my job, I'm kinda bummed.

WOW, I'm almost as bad as the IRS....
Granted I've only been doing this job for 3 years, so I'm still in the idealistic stage.....but if you seriously see the job that way....you need to get out man.

I dont view the job that way. I look at it like a being like a Hockey Referee. I'm not here to make up rules, I just put you in the penalty box for your behaviour. Now if me putting you in the penalty box ruins your life, maybe you shouldnt have been doing what ever it was that made me put you there in the first place.

Its really cause and effect. If you dont want trouble, then just stay out of trouble.

I'm not a better person than anyone I meet, I'm just doing a different job. Yes, I meet plenty of people I really dont like...but before this, I was a bartender in a concert nightclub so I met lots of people I didnt like there either.

I also meet lots of cool people and people who manage to give me hope for the rest of the human race...so it balances out.

Maybe your joking and I misunderstood your post....if so, I apologize.

I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps Infantry and 6 months of that was in Magadishu Somalia. Those experiances made realize life is short, so I learned to laugh and enjoy the little things when I can since life gets all too serious on its own quick enough.

One of the things I love about this job is helping people and and the goofy/hilarious situations you find yourself and them in...
Naturally, I cant think of one right now thats fit to post on a family base website right now....but I'm sure you can think of about 50 or 60 stories of your own right now.

The funniest one I can think of right now is the guy we arrested after he carjacked someone and got shot in the leg by the "victim". He was complaining about being shot with a "dirty bullet" He was annoyed because he was worried the wound would get infected....

(We picked him up at the hospital...he was fine).

I agreed with him that it was bad manners to shoot someone with a dirty bullet. Then I told him all my bullets were clean.

He was happy with that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leilani57
i go in circles really really really fast. its more fun than it sounds.
Leilani,
just went through your website.....very cool. I'm not a race fan, (although I do enjoy driving fast when the situation calls for it), so you'll have to forgive my ignorance....are you still doing stock car racing or are you firmly in IRL now? How did you get into Racing?

I ask because sometimes the stories behind the job path can be as entertaining as the jobs themselves...

I got out of the Marine Corps and was bartending my way through college going after my Paramedic license. I wanted to be a firefighter. In StL to be a StL City Firefighter, you need to have a city job, (just how things work out), or have your Medic's license. I knew I looked good on paper after the Marines for Law Enforcement, but I didnt really like cops a whole lot, (still hadnt gelled to the fact that most of my problems with cops as a kid were self inflicted). I applied for a job as a city police officer, and continued working towards my Medics license. About half way towards my license, I was offered a job as a police officer. I only intended to be a cop for a year or two, and then switch over to being a firefighter. Two weeks into the Police Academy I was hooked.

Nick
Old 10/26/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Leilani,
just went through your website.....very cool. I'm not a race fan, (although I do enjoy driving fast when the situation calls for it), so you'll have to forgive my ignorance....are you still doing stock car racing or are you firmly in IRL now? How did you get into Racing?

I ask because sometimes the stories behind the job path can be as entertaining as the jobs themselves...
I was earning my degree in biology when I got into a race car and fell in love with it. Being a starving student, I had no money to race but when I was done with school I started working as a photo double for Catherine Zeta-Jones -- they came through San Diego filming Traffic and cast me as a double through the local modeling agency (benefit that I already had my SAG card). I moved to LA to continue working in the movies and eventually got to start doing stunt and driving scenes. I saved up that money to go to a racing school- and a nascar team that saw me drive there encouraged me to pursue driving professionally (i was faster than their driver) so I went to a sport marketing company in LA and landed a sponsor to race at the local 3/8 short track. I think that first sponsorship was for like $3000 for two races. Then I quit my job in LA to pursue racing full time in North Carolina, the center of nascar racing. I was completely broke and worked at a racing school for $100 per day (15 hour days) and in a body shop fixing wrecked race cars. I struggled to find sponsors but eventually would come up with enough money to run a race here or there. Eventually, people began to take me seriously as a driver. It took me six years to make it to my rookie test at Daytona (last december) and shortly thereafter I had an open wheel team call me and ask if I was interested in going Indy racing. I tested the car and earned my indy license in may and the rest is history!
Leilani Munter | Driver of the #57 Indy Pro Series SMART Papers Dallara
Running for 2008 Indy Pro Series Rookie of the Year
Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars...
Old 10/26/2007, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

i help pull babies out ---- i'm an obstetrical technician.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

"Maybe your joking and I misunderstood your post....if so, I apologize. "

I was joking, now that I re-read, doesn't really sound like it huh?
Old 10/26/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm from the government. I'm here to help...honestly!
Old 10/26/2007, 09:44 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by BeltwayBandit
I'm from the government. I'm here to help...honestly!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 10/26/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Aircraft Mechanic for American Airlines
Old 10/26/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I have the best job in the world! I give money away every day! Home Loan Consultant with GMAC Mortgage!
Old 10/26/2007, 10:59 PM
Official Bear of the Reef

Unemployed, living at home with parents...

...and in high school.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:07 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Trammel points and an icepick pay my mortgage. TinMan
Old 10/27/2007, 12:08 AM
I have a new avatar

I baby sit the future criminals of the world
Old 10/27/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JR719
"Maybe your joking and I misunderstood your post....if so, I apologize. "

I was joking, now that I re-read, doesn't really sound like it huh?
S'all good man....

Nick
Old 10/27/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
"I have a job, but I don't think I'm gonna go there anymore.

What about paying your bills?

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna do that anymore either."

I go to court and talk pretty at the judge for people who can't do it themselves ...
pro bono, right?

JR719, love the addition to your avatar!
Old 10/27/2007, 07:21 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

As part of standing around and looking pretty - I work in Electronic Health Records.

You go to your doc and he pulls out this huge paper chart with every piece of paper or sticky note ever written about you in it. Hopefully everything is in there. Well all thats going electronic. The docs will carry a tabletPC and all your records wil be stored in a computer.

I sell the program, I design components within the program, work with our partners on selling and installing and I use to train the docs on how to use it - but I won't do that anymore. I'd rather give birth than train physicians.

Old 10/27/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

I design and build and install custom aquatic housing for the top research facilities in the world. If your a fish head such as I..this is the perfect job. I never thought there would be such a thing. Thanks to all you tax payers..without you I wouldn't have a job ! So that means I pay my own salary..oh man thats messed up..I recycle cash.
Old 10/28/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

bump to the top
Old 10/28/2007, 06:33 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
As part of standing around and looking pretty - I work in Electronic Health Records.

You go to your doc and he pulls out this huge paper chart with every piece of paper or sticky note ever written about you in it. Hopefully everything is in there. Well all thats going electronic. The docs will carry a tabletPC and all your records wil be stored in a computer.

Ah, the electronic medical record! I am a bit of a tech geek....OK, a major tech geek, but I've not seen any good come from this technology.

The clinic docs I know who have instituted EMR technology have watched their incomes drop precipitously because they can see only 23 patients a day instead of 35 due to the "time saving convenience" of the EMR.

The systems have a tendency to go down hard during the busiest shifts in the ER, dragging the lab, x-ray and clinical services to a grinding halt when we can't access records, order tests, register patients and see results of studies.

I have several research papers in my files which also show that new computer physician order entry systems in ERs have resulted in more errors than ever before due to misusing drop-down menus and bundled orders and keyboarding errors.

The computer, which has always been touted as time-saving, error-reducing and capable of freeing up humans for more doctor-patient interaction, has done none of the above. We've been sold a bill of goods, but unfortunately, there is no turning back the clock. I spend more time than ever looking at LCD screens and less time seeing patients.
Old 10/28/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

brewer, lfs worker, landlord.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:03 PM
Crap Under User Name

Bus driver. I could do anything, but I love transportation.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I try and make wood look like plastic so people can have pretty cabinets. I've got to make cabinets for Janet Jackson, Ophra, and Extreme Home Makeover.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:29 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Ah, the electronic medical record! I am a bit of a tech geek....OK, a major tech geek, but I've not seen any good come from this technology.

Obviously they aren't using our product.

My own primary care doc is using my product. His revenue has increased dramatically. He used to bill at 2's & 3's, now he bills a few 3's and mostly 4's seeing the same amount of patients. My ortho and my pain management doc also use my product. I'm talking with the GI doc who just did my colonoscopy.

Here is a case study of our product from your neck of the woods -
http://www.imedica.com/Articles_MOS.aspx

It's all about setting the proper expectation. You will NOT see 35 patients a day in the first month of use. Altho I had a derm see 43 her first day. It just depends on how quickly you adopt. My own PCP adapted very fast. My ortho, is seeing about 2/3 of his patient on the system. Lets face it, if a doc has been practicing medicine a certain way for 25 years, there is no way in the world that anyone can expect her/him to flip a switch and change to an EMR without hitting some bumps.

If you hit our site, we do have a movie of an office encounter, if your interested. You do have to register and if you do register and don't want some pesky sales rep calling you, shoot me a PM and I'll make sure no one calls.

Old 10/29/2007, 12:55 AM
High on Reefing!

Quote:
Originally posted by rlee81indy
cazilinionbillion? that must be a lot
As much as a googol?
Old 10/29/2007, 12:56 AM
High on Reefing!

Oh yea... I am currently a full time wife with a full time job working for Citi Group's Hedge Funds and In January I will also add to the list a student earning my ACCA.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:46 AM
On "The List"

I do as little as possible while billing as much as possible

Ahhhh, living the American dream!

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy