Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Input please on sump/refugium.

I currently have a 125 gallon show reef tank just set up. I dont want to add any corals until istall my sump/refugium. Im afraid the water quality wont be perfect enough for the corals and fish. I have researched and been told that sump let you control you water system better. So i drew up a pic of my idea for the sump/fuge:

What would be the best arrangement of equipment should i get?

Skimmer -?
Pumps -?
Plumbimg -?
Extras - top offs, reactors, etc.?

Please let me know thanks!

underWoasisjake
Old 10/27/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

for plumbing use flexible PVC for the drain and tubing for the return
Old 10/27/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I would T off your overflow lines and run one to the refuge and one to the coral grow out tank. Most of the time your going to want moderate flow in the refuge and high flow in your corals. Just put a ball valve on the refuge line to control how much flow goes into the refuge. As far as pumps, I would say a Mag7+ maybe even a mag9+.

Make the area that houses your return pump as large as you can make it, and put baffles in it, that way your return pump doesn't suck bubbles from the overflowing into it and chop them up adding them to your tank.

And I would suggest putting in an ATO. Even if it is as simple as a small 5g bucket with line to a kent float valve. It will make things alot more convenient. Not to mention, control your salinity better.

If your serious about growing corals, and are going to have alot, look at a calcium reactor. I will post a similar design in a minute on what I feel would be the best way to set it up.

Just my 2 cents though.

Coffman
Old 10/27/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

Ok thanks very much for input!!!! That helps alot. So put the baffle on the side of where the return pump is going to be? I had a baffle on the pic but on the left side w/a sponge to trap the bubbles would that work or no?

So off the two overflows have one running to coral grow out tank and the sump? Would i just connect the two tanks like how i have shown or will it corupt the return pump?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 10/27/2007, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Here is a simple design. I would also look at adding a seperate sump to hold all equipment. Or even a sump/refuge combo tank and then a seperate coral grow out tank.

Just remember. The ball valve will control the flow into the refuge. And you want the baffles on the return area to be a little lower than that of the holes connection your refuge and coral tank. That way water doesn't back up into the refuge.
Old 10/27/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks very much that really helped alot once again! It does help with pictures. One thing i didnt get?? what do you mean the baffles on the return are need to be alittle lower than the holes connection to the refuge and coral tank??
Old 10/27/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Here is one with the water levels in the two bottom tanks. As you can see, the baffles for the return area are lower than the connecting plumbing between the two tanks. This will prevent water back flowing into the refuge. Water will have one way streets to go on. Either from overflow > refuge > coral tank > return lines > main tank or
overflow > coral tank > return lines > main tank. It just makes it so the plumbing between the two bottom tanks is not a two way street. Now do u understand?

Old 10/27/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Ok ya now i get it very well, thanks the pics really helped me get a better understanding! Thanks alot!!

underWoasisjake
Jake