Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Talking Am I Crazy or Just Good! Too early to stock tank?

Ok all! First thanks for making this site. Second, i have had my 70 gal up for approx 3 weeks. I have LR and LS. have completed 2 10 Gal water changes and all seems to be well (parameters). Is it too early to stock the tank. Also, if I stock suggestions and Do you need to add calcium sopplements out the gate or to keep snails.

Thanks,

AA
Old 10/25/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I would wait 1 or 2 more weeks. Water changes not needed untill cycle over. I used all LR and LS and never really saw any cycle but i still waited.
I would start slow like a fish and a few crabs and margaritas. No SB crew for a few more weeks the food supply low to nill. Then add a few more weekly untill you feel comfortable with what you have.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I agree too early how much lr do you have and any algea yet???
Old 10/25/2007, 09:20 PM
Master of Funk

dont add any suppliments unless you are testing...how do you know how much to add?? Chances are, in a brand new tank, you have nothing that is going to uptake the calcium yet anyway.

You say parameters are ok, but what are the readings? You might be fine to add your first fish, but we need some more info.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't add any snails until you see some cyano growing. they will likely die now due to lack of food
Old 10/25/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

IMO...way too early...I didnt stock until 3 months......
Old 10/25/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

have you done any tests?
Old 10/25/2007, 09:54 PM
Yellow Shirt MACNA Peon

You never need suppliments, none, ever. You can simply do water changes. "But what if it is a 300g SPS reef?!? ZOMG suppliments!" Yeah, no. You can simply do water changes. Will they suck? Yes. Will you buy a TON of salt? Yes. But it would work just fine. The whole reason to dose anything, is to REPLACE used up amounts of whatever it is you are dosing. Nice and simple.

To answer the "how soon to stock" question, you can stock your tank as soon as you have no ammonia AND you have adequate ability to filter new ammonia. Million ways to filer, blah blah. Work slow, use common sense.

Good luck.

S !

"With great power comes great responsibility"
"PMAS VP has no powers"
Old 10/25/2007, 11:00 PM
clams are your friends.

Most supplements aren't needed, but Alkalinity is something you should test and will probably need supplement quite often, even if you have a rigorous water change schedule. It's an easy test to do and easy thing to supplement with plain baking soda. I say this because I changed 10 gal 2X/wk on my 90 gallon tank for 6 months, then bought a test kit and found my dkh was only 4 (should be in the 8-12 range).

As far as the "ready to stock" question goes, you'll probably be fine to start slowly stocking from a cycling standpoint, but waiting a little longer is good advice. It will give the population of microfauna (pods, etc.) time to grow. They can provide a great food source for fish and corals as well as keep the tank clean & healthy down the line.
Old 10/25/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Way to early for any kind of water change, not sure why you would do two? Patience!
Old 10/26/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Snalls

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
I would wait 1 or 2 more weeks. Water changes not needed untill cycle over. I used all LR and LS and never really saw any cycle but i still waited.
I would start slow like a fish and a few crabs and margaritas. No SB crew for a few more weeks the food supply low to nill. Then add a few more weekly untill you feel comfortable with what you have.
Margarita snalls=(Tegula funebralis) Unsuitable for reef tanks! Come from Central Alaska to California.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Unsuitable cause they have no affect ? I never heard of them to be not reef safe but you didnt really say that i know.
Sometimes i like giving wrong info ( while thinking it was safe ) because i get corrected.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Unsuitable cause they have no affect ? I never heard of them to be not reef safe but you didnt really say that i know.
Sometimes i like giving wrong info ( while thinking it was safe ) because i get corrected.
Margarita snails are unsuitable because they are cold water creatures. See this great series from the Reefkeeping on-line magazine on snails:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php
Old 10/26/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. I have 60 lbs of live rock and 100lbs of live sand. My parameters are as follows:

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 to 20 changes weekly
Ammonia 0
PH 8.3
KH/Alk 10
Salinity 1.023
Tank 36x24x18 67 gal+/-
Sump 24x15x18 10gal+/-
Mag Drive Pump 7
ALS 150 Skimmer
Als Dual Pre-Filter