Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

High Ph!!

My Ph is at 8.8 and has been that way for the past week. I checked my PH meter and it's fine. I use NO Cal reactor but do use 2 part cal soulation. ( I have not added any in the past two days. The system is 400 Gal. I have a sump with Cheto, I tried to turn off the lights over the sump for last two days with no change in PH. I have been doing 10% water changes each day for the past 4 days - no change. My soft coral is dying - What can I do to lower the PH ?
Old 10/24/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

what does your alkalinity measure? When you say you checked the pH monitor- did you calibrate it?
Old 10/24/2007, 11:53 PM
Team RC Member

I doubt your pH is that high. And I don't believe that is the area of concern for your dying soft coral.

I would be more interested in your tanks specific gravity, calcium and alkalinity level for starters.
Old 10/25/2007, 12:40 AM
RC Mod

That pH is very high. Have you tried shutting off the lighting in the main tank? What is the pH in the morning?

Electrical interference with pH meters is very common. Is this a battery-operated meter? Have you tried measuring a cup of water, well away from the tank?
Old 10/25/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

I will mesure the ALK - i ran out of Alk test - I did calibrate my PH meter. I will shut off the main lights today and remesure tonignht. I will also try and mesure a cup of water away from my tank. I will get back to you guys - Thanks.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

That is likely an inaccurate reading if you aren't dosing a high-pH additive. Let's see what you get...

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~