Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

nick, take a look at this thread about the sureflows. you might find it interesting.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0&goto=newpost

"The sea is everything...
An emmense reservoir of nature
where i roam at will...."
CAPT. NEMO
Old 10/24/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Alex,
Thanks for the heads up there...I hadnt seen that thread. If I'm reading this correctly, AlgaeFree has come up with a different propeller and shaft for the 1600's making them 2000's? And if you're experiancing noise from the 1600's you should contact them and they will send out the new shaft and prop assembly?

If this is the case, then I'm fine with it. If not, I'll be annoyed with this set up.

Nick
Old 10/24/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

well I ordered the GS2 only because I can change the propeller and get less or more flow.

to answer your ques. yes, the different propeller should be used on the mj1200 which will give more flow.also you may want to try and connect a wave master or similar controller and see if the mj can be controlled that way.I happen to have a Red Sea wave master so I will be trying to see if they will work in the same manner. will keep you posted.

"The sea is everything...
An emmense reservoir of nature
where i roam at will...."
CAPT. NEMO
Old 10/26/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

10-26-2007

Pics as promised....

Full tank shot

Left side

Right side

Wish this one was perfectly focused...but she kept moving and I need to go with a shallow depth of field to catch her at all...

Ritteri and clowns

Full light shots....

Left Side

Right Side

Quick panning shot of the Regal in motion

Ritteri and clowns again...right below the male, (smaller one) is where they laid the eggs...

Overall I'm liking the lay out of the aquascaping...but still needs some adjustment to fine tune it the way I want.

The Maxijet SureFlow 1600 upgrade kits are working well...I'm kinda liking them the way they are. I dont think I'll be putting them on a wave timer.

Hope you like the pics...

Nick

Last edited by maxxII; 10/26/2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Looks good Nick!

I just got back into town so I have to go back and catch up on your thread, and a few others.
Old 10/26/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank, I realy like the Regal

"Theres Battle Lines Being Drawn, Nobodys Right if Everybodys Wrong" -Stephen Stills

"When You Ain't Got Nothin, You Got Nothin to Lose" -Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan)
Old 10/27/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

CProwler, I love your tank, and admire how you've set thing up for when your out of town...smart...I need to get off my butt and get mine organized that way.

As far as catching up goes...you havent missed alot...I dont have the slowest build here on RC, but it sure felt like it for awhile.

Jeff,

Thanks I really like her in the tank too...she's a pretty fish and not aggressive towards the other fish in the tank.

Nick
Old 10/30/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Regal is beautiful. Great tank.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Looking good bud!
Old 10/31/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by babybull
Regal is beautiful. Great tank.
Thank you, I really like having her in the tank too...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pkelley228
Looking good bud!
Thanks Pat...certainly looks better than the "FrankenTank" look I had going last time you were over...

Nick
Old 11/07/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

11-07-07

The fish were removed from the 58, leaving only aptasia, pods, and misc small critters.
The 58 was drained of saltwater, and then filled w/ tap water to kill the leftover critters I couldnt get out, or didnt want in the first place, (IE aptasia).

Tomorrow, I will try to get the 58 completely cleaned out, which will mean removing the overflow, and the cuttingboard on the bottom. I want the tank completely cleaned out so I can use it as a QT for a smallish Powder Blue Tang. The fish is being held until the 13th, in a system being treated with copper. Its eating
Old 11/07/2007, 11:36 PM

Oh, and you think fresh water will kill aiptasia?
Old 11/08/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

Weird, dont know how only half my post got sent to the board....

Lets try that again...

11-07-07

The fish were removed from the 58, leaving only aptasia, pods, and misc small critters.
The 58 was drained of saltwater, and then filled w/ tap water to kill the leftover critters I couldnt get out, or didnt want in the first place, (IE aptasia).

Tomorrow, I will try to get the 58 completely cleaned out, which will mean removing the overflow, and the cuttingboard on the bottom. I want the tank completely cleaned out so I can use it as a QT for a smallish Powder Blue Tang. The fish is being held until the 13th, in a system being treated with copper. Its eating well, but scratching, so its got ich....but then again, I have yet to see a Powder Blue Tang or any other Acantharus tang that doesnt come down with ich after being shipped....so no shock there.

I did lots of reading regarding the best methods to QT and treat this fish....from what I've been able to determine, running a QT with hyposalinity (1.009) for several weeks seems to be the safest way for the fish, but the most labor intensive for me...

ATJ's Hyposalinity Treatment

Marine Ich, a discussion of the parasite and treatment options available, by Steve Pro

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

A Hyposalinity Treatment Process

Copper - Treatment, Use, Problems

I've got about a week to get things together for the PBT, but I dont want to wait until the last minute....

I also took the 20 gallon High tank to get drilled out today. I'm having holes for two 1 inch bulkheads drilled in the back of the tank. One will be a drain, the other will be the inlet for water to enter the tank.

I plan on buying a HOB overflow, (most likely a CPR), and pulling water from the 120 down to the 20. It will drain from the 20 down to the sump of the 120, so its all part of one system. This means greater stability and less work for me in that I'll only be playing with one set of parameters as opposed to two different tanks...

The 20 gallon will house the Golden Dwarf Moray, a purple H.crispa anemone, a purple M.doreensis anemone, and a pair of A.leucokranos clowns. It should be back from the glass shop by Saturday.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Oh, and you think fresh water will kill aiptasia?
If not I have access to a blowtorch and a chain saw...

Nick
Old 11/08/2007, 09:48 AM

No doubt Nick. Regarding the PBT and Ich, I have never tried hyposalinity and I refuse to use the OTC "cures". What I have found to be very successful is feeding well with high quality food soaked in vitamins and Garlic Guard. What I mean by high quality is food I have made myself out of various seafood, krill, mysid, plankton, etc. al la Melev. I mix it all together, add a variety of vitamins, Selcon, Garlic Guard, and basically "kitchen sink" it.

Then I feed 3x per day along with shredded nori also soaked in vitamins. So the net result is that the PBT will get a lot of nutritional value which will in turn boost its immune system, and it will be able t fight off the parasitic infection. This has worked every time I have had an encounter with Ich, and I also use cleaner shrimp for long term maintainance. PM with any questions.
Old 11/08/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Ever try Formalin and Acriflavine bath? 20 drops formalin/gal and 10 drops acriflavine/gal for 1/2 hr. bath and aerate because formaldehyde depletes oxygen. Do not forget about time cuz you will fry your fish. It will work
Old 11/08/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by babybull
Ever try Formalin and Acriflavine bath? 20 drops formalin/gal and 10 drops acriflavine/gal for 1/2 hr. bath and aerate because formaldehyde depletes oxygen. Do not forget about time cuz you will fry your fish. It will work
I've used Formalin recently. (on the Leucokranos clowns for Brooklynella), and I'm familiar with it, but I dont know anything about Acriflavine.

Two reasons I dont like Formalin for the tang....

1...Unless you're running Formalin continuously in the QT tank, you need to remove the fish from the tank, which stresses out the fish further.

2...Tangs really dont do well in low oxygen levels, and Formalin does decrease oxygen levels as you said earlier....

Thats why I was looking at the hyposalinity treatment.

Nick
Old 11/09/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

11-09-07

Drained the 58 completely. Cold tapwater does kill aptasia for any who are wondering. The water in the 58 was NASTY. I had not realized how much funk had gotten under the cutting board I used on the bottom of the tank. There was a lot of silt and detritus under it. I'm glad I went ahead and siliconed the cutting board down in the 120.

I had to cut out the overflow in order get to the starboard, but thats okay, cause I'm not going to be using the sump for the QT anyway.

I am a little concerned about the PBT in the 120. The Tomini is full sized at 4.5 inches not counting the tail fin. Yesterday, it was squabbling with the Regal when I placed the broccoli clip on the left side of the tank. Evidently, thats the Tomini's side and it didnt appreciate the intrusion....
There is no squabbling today.

Things might get exciting....

I'm expecting some squaring off intitially, but how long it goes on and how serious it gets will determine whether or not the PBT stays. I've had the Tomini since 02-11-05, the only thing I've had longer in this tank is the Crocea clam....which I got the day before....so I'm going to be keeping the Tomini if the two dont work out.

Dont know what I'll get in place of the PBT if it doesnt work out, cause I dont think another tang will do well if the Tomini doesnt allow the PBT to stay....

The PBT in the store is just about the same size as the Tomini...

The elevated levels of Magnesium are slowly but surely taking care of the small areas of bryopsis I have in the tank.

Water parameters are :

DKh 11.2
Ca 395
Mg 1650
pH 8.1
Salinity 1.028 (refractometer)
Temp 80F

Water tests are as per Salifert kits. Salinity is a little high, but I have not yet hooked up the LiterMeter 3 for top off. I'm also an idiot and just used all my RO water to make a fresh batch of saltwater.....so its going to be a few hours before I have any RO to top off the tanks with...

I noticed a second aptasia in the 120 today. Its on the underside of the rock as well....( in the full tank pic this is the one in the center the clam is one...) due to the location of both of them, I'm going to have to get another pair of Berghia nudibranchs....

I have Joe's Juice, and it does work, but you have to fill the mouth of the anemone with it to be effective. I practiced on the aptasia in the 58 before nuking them all with tap water. The aptasia who got a full mouthful melted away. The ones that were at an angle and the Joes Juice was able to fall out of....survived. I've heard from some others that the aptasia not killed by the Joe's Juice can reproduce.....so I'm just gonna get some more Berghia and be done with it.

That about covers everything for now...

Nick

Last edited by maxxII; 11/09/2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

11-13-07

The overflow I ordered from Premium Aquatics came today...

Bought a CPR CS50 Overflow. Also bought an Aqualifter pump for it as well....

Bought the CS50 because it was the cheapest and fit my space needs the best. Need to buy an adaptor for the 3/4 inch bulkhead it comes with for the plumbing to the 20H. The bulkheads to the 20H are 1 inch.

The 20H has one coat of black paint on the back...need to do the second one tomorrow, and then start playing with the plumbing. This tank will sit on the right side of the 120. The top of the 20H will be just above the bottom of the 120, so hopefully, it wont interfere with viewing that side of the 120 too much.

Finally, I got the 58 set up as a QT...salinity is at 1.009 as per my refractometer.

When I went to pick up the PBT today.....it wasnt looking as good as I would have liked...I saw some lacerations on the side that were small, but looked like they might have trouble. And then I saw a small Purple Tang.....about the size of a silver dollar. Someone had purchased him previously, and then brought him back.....no idea why. I snapped him up. Its in the 58 gallon right now, happily munching on Nori...
It will stay there for about a month, if I dont see any ich or other parasites...hopefully, I'll be able to get it eating broccoli also. Ideally, it will also continue to eat Nori from the clip, and will show my Regal Angel that Nori is okay to eat...thereby getting her onto something else as well....

Pics will come tomorrow.

Nick
Old 11/14/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Good God man, you change your mind more than my wife! I do like the purple better than the pbt though.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I'm just being flexible in my stocking plans.

Nick
Old 11/14/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Now don't go and get all sensitive on me, I was just kidding ya!
Old 11/14/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

LOL...hey hows your tank doing? The new corals and fish?

Nick
Old 11/14/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

All doing pretty well. The fish is a little beast, my daughter has named him "spike", since everytime the Purple goes near it, it raises it's spikes. The birdsnest is fine, but the brain is still not opening up right, yet. Still have hope for it, did a big water change a couple of days ago. I also ordered my new "free" TDS meter, from the thread on here so should have yours back to you soon. By the way, are you not answering your phone today?
Old 11/14/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Doh....sorry, the cell is upstairs, computer is downstairs....

Nick
Old 11/15/2007, 07:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Hey Nick great new setup! It has been a while but let me know if you need some freebies. I can drop them off at the PG in Ucity. good luck
PL