Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
I imagine they'll have to buy some pumps, etc.
Doesn't Walmart "rent" pumps to scientists
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 10/14/2007, 08:21 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Mark:
I'll send them an email and see what the latest is...

dwd: thanks!
Old 10/21/2007, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

bump
Old 10/21/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Any time frame on the results?
Old 10/23/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 10/24/2007, 08:18 AM
King of the Apes

Just a FYI to see where it compares.. someone on another board sent in some freshly mixed HW Marinemix to AWT to be tested (already mixed by the person).

Results;

(sg 1.023)
Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.100 High
Nitrite (NO2) 0.003 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 0.2 Good
Phosphate (PO4) 0.55 High
Silica (SiO2-3) 4.5 High
Potassium (K) 356 Good
Calcium (Ca) 434 Good
Boron (B) 4.4 Good
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.1 Good
Strontium (Sr) 8.8 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1207 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.02 Low
Copper (Cu++) 0.05 High
Alkalinity (meq/L) 3.05 Good

Last edited by King-Kong; 10/24/2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

You beat me to it King-Kong .... Just a small correction, I do not own a hanna tester, but the salifert test doesn't show any hint of blue either for PO4 or Silicates....
Old 10/24/2007, 08:23 AM
King of the Apes

Sorry Suasati! Didnt notice you here too! eep! If you want ill clear my post and you can post your own results..
Old 10/24/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Nah!! that's ok... It don't matter who gives the info....

BTW: RODI water was 0 tds and was mixed in a 2gallon aquarium.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:31 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by SuAsati
You beat me to it King-Kong .... Just a small correction, I do not own a hanna tester, but the salifert test doesn't show any hint of blue either for PO4 or Silicates....
Oops.. well there was the other user who DID have a Hanna test kit, and his HW Marinemix tested at .06, so the results are still confusing.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

So far every test result I've seen posted here has come back from AWT with very high silica levels many times NSW levels, including my own test. I was quite surprised my silica tested so high at AWT because my water runs through 3 seperate semiconductor grade DI cartridges and I use Seachem Reef Salt which I don't believe contains that much silica if any. I have since had Jim at The Filter Guys make me up a 100% silica removing cartridge to add to my RO/DI setup so I'll see what happens next time I send in a sample.

Last edited by HowardW; 10/24/2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

I sent my first sample into AWT on Monday. How long does it typically take for you to get your results?

I have a (Red Sea I think) Silica test and tested it Monday as well. I'll post my Silica results as soon as I get them.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:56 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
So far every test result I've seen posted here has come back from AWT with very high silica levels many times NSW levels, including my own test. I was quite surprised my silica tested so high at AWT because my water runs through 3 seperate semiconductor grade DI cartridges and I use Seachem Reef Salt which I don't believe contains that much silica if any. I have since had Jim at The Filter Guys make me up a 100% silica removing cartridge to add my RO/DI setup so I'll see what happens next time I send in a sample.
Keep us updated on that, please.. my silicates were out of this world too, and I just used a brand new set of RO/DI filters.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:58 AM
Boomer gave me this

Well I just signed up for the monthly testing, I have always wanted to find a service like this!
I think they may be a division of the company that sells aqua medic in loveland, hopefully its a legit deal.
Since I live about 2 hours from there i may have to shoot up there and check them out.
I'll post a link in the denver forum and see if anyone up there can swing by and check out the place.
Chris
Old 10/24/2007, 10:00 AM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
I sent my first sample into AWT on Monday. How long does it typically take for you to get your results?

I have a (Red Sea I think) Silica test and tested it Monday as well. I'll post my Silica results as soon as I get them.
i sent mine in on a tues and had result before the weekend.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77

You should get it either tonight or tomorrow...
Old 10/24/2007, 01:20 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

The silica is probably coming form the salt mix and not the RO/DI. But I doubt the salt mix also as most only put out about .5 ppm. I think they are in error or somehow your tanks are accumulating more silica than we think . Using GFO or activated alumina should drop them to zero.

Silica (SiO2-3)

This is as silicate, i.e., SiO2 and SiO3 and ot actual silica. NSW has about 3 ppm Silica and that equates to 6.2 ppm Silicate, i.e SiO2. You have to add the oxygen to it. Something I missed on this issue earlier and should have explained We need to be careful when giving ion concentrations. For example, you may see sulfate given as S or as Sulfate in books or articles. It is usually found as Sulfate, SO4 and is often given that why but some give it as S, which will be much lower. NSW S = 905 ppm and SO4 = 2715 ppm

And their tests may be measuring insoluble silica particles also ("dust" ) which will skew the results making them higher.

Something to look at.

They say
Silica (Sio2-3)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.040 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.500 mg/l

Silica is often given as 3 ppm but can be as low as 0 .040 and I think they are giving your tests as Silicate and not Silica, but show silica above. As I said above 3 ppm Silica equates to 6.2 ppm Silicate..

The oceans avg is 100 uM form an oceanographic web site

100 x 28.066 = 2.8066 ppm Si. Adding the O2 for SiO2 = 2.14 x 2.8 = 5.99 ppm SiO2 NSW or 2.8 ppm Si.

So you guys are IMHO within normal NSW range. Maybe I should call them and straighten them out

Something to look at

Silica in a Reef Tank
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm
Old 10/26/2007, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Ok -- I got my results, as posted here

This is an IO/RC mixture from my DT (not freshly mixed SW):

Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.004 Good
Nitrite (NO2) 0.009 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 2.5 Good
Phosphate (PO4) 0.04 Good
Silica (SiO2-3) 3.6 High
Potassium (K) 355 Good
Calcium (Ca) 493 High
Boron (B) 3.7 Good
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.3 High
Strontium (Sr) 10.3 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1239 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.04 Good
Copper (Cu++) 0.03 Good
Alkalinity (meq/L) 3.12 Good

The silica is much higher (36x) what my Red Sea test gave me. I'm going on week 11 of diatoms (tank was started in early August) though so I'm almost inclined to believe AWT over the Red Sea kit.

Boomer -- Did you contact AWT regarding whether or not they are giving us silicate or silica test results?

DrBegalke -- What's the word? Should we abandon hope on this yet? For those of us who have received results from AWT, it will certainly help us rule out salt as an issue -- right now I'm torn between wondering whether or not my salt is contributing to silica/molybdenum or if I need a new RO/DI unit!
Old 10/26/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I believe they are testing for all available silicates, not just silica, which is why the readings show high when comparing to desirable values of silica.
Old 10/27/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Oops.. well there was the other user who DID have a Hanna test kit, and his HW Marinemix tested at .06, so the results are still confusing.
I'm sure I am the other user !!! I did mix two different batches of HW and had a .06 and .07 PO4 level . I tested my RODI water and it read zero .
Old 10/27/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Jmille501

First post gets you a big

[welcome]
Old 10/28/2007, 01:31 AM
RC Sponsor

Hey Boomer and all others this has a lot of people running around wildly. I Just wanted to address the from an RO/DI prospective. I have tons of people contacting me who have done the water report and have high silica. The silica reading seems to be a biggie but no one seems to know the silica reading for their tap water. This should be available from their municipal water supplier and is a good place to start.

The high S membrane recommended is also misleading and one of the best all around membranes for silica rejection is going to be the Filmtec.

Silica is a charged ion and DI resin is very effective in the after RO membrane removal. Special Anion cartridges can be produced which target silica if needed and just added with an additional housing inline with regular DI cartridges or a high silica blended cartridge is also available. A zero tds reading of product water should indicate silica removal.

This brings us to the casual water maker who allows the tds of exhausted DI resin to climb above two to three. Exhausted DI resin will throw back stripped tds at a higher rate then stripped and produce poor quality water. The could account for some elevated readings. Poor RO/DI maintance creates peaks and valleys in water quality which should be avoided at all cost. Also operating an RO/DI system without a tds meter is fool hardy and a guessing game at best.

I did not read the whole thread and am just responding to the many calls and e-mails I'm getting questioning RO/DI water as the source of the silica as suggested by the testing company.

Jim

Last edited by Thefilterguys; 10/28/2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10/28/2007, 02:24 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

The high S membrane recommended is also misleading and one of the best all around membranes for silica rejection is going to be the Filmtec.

Yes, it is

I agree on almost all of that of what you said. However, silica is hardly charged at all and often is not charged at all but there are special DI's for silica. Silica should be kept at no higher than 1 ppm or even less.

I think there is something very wrong with their Silica results and have said so a number of times on the AWT threads

You should see my last post on RO's Jim. See " My AWT test" thread.

PS

Already have my MACNA room and our IMAC room for next year I found out Chicagoland will be flooded with conferences next year when we go, so I jumped on it already

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:34 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Last I heard they are still working on obtaining pumps/equipment and were working out the details of the final protocol... I should have more information soon!
Old 10/28/2007, 11:23 AM
RC Sponsor

Sorry I didn't read the entire thread before posting I was linked to this thread by one of the posters on my forum. I also suspected salt mixes and did a little research with no results.

For those who have high silica in their tap water I may recommend adding a pure Anion silica cartridge as a polishing cartridge along with their regular DI cartridge.

I have recommended taking no action as the high silica is already present and overreaction can sometimes have bad results. I consider removing perfectly good membranes and DI cartridges a waste untill we have more background. As always I see you and other people are on top of things.

Jim