Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

school propagation reef shed project

i need ur help people!!!!! im a senior at a school an felton california and am in aquaculture. im building a shed for reef propagation. i really need ur help and skills to help design this. so please help out. im not even sure how to start my dad made designs for the building and all but the tank set up and sixe and just everything.

i want the building to be a 12'x10' building but idk yet but if i guts have a nice design for anything let me know this will be an all year project so lets see some ideas!!!!!!
thanks
yall

" it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not." :van zant
Old 10/14/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

bump

" it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not." :van zant
Old 10/14/2007, 02:44 PM
Team RC Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1141120

Probably might be a good idea to put a skylight.
Old 10/14/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

www.reefvideos.com then click coral farming.. anthony calfo says alot of cool stuff about farming coral. I like the idea of sunlight. I say make it a greenhouse.. and wow ur luckey.. I wish my school when I went had aquaculture class.

Last edited by randallcentral; 10/14/2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

common everybody. i need some help!!!! i need to get on this now. need any help i can get

Old 10/23/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Well, i think this can be a project you will need to have some patience with.

The answer tou wan't is: stack a couple of tanks on top of eachother divided by a wooden frame. plumb them together with a sump and a refugium. place a skimmer, ca-reactor , hang some lighting above and then youre good to go........

That should work..

We need a bit more information, and some budget......
Old 10/23/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

If you have a nice budget and are not looking for it to be a showcase type reef system, you might look into some sort of cement pool or something of the sort. That would be a the best setup for direct sunlight so that you wouldnt burn your corals due to UV-A and UV-B rays. A greenhouse type system would work well but you would have to regulate the temp. a bit more than a normal greenhouse. Also if you were to use a greenhouse setup you would not be able to use gas heat as the VOCs would disolve into your system and probably kill some of your more delicate corals.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

You should begin my telling us what your budget is – that would really help us frame suggestions.

That being said, I would begin this process by finding a large flat container. Ideally, it would be nice to have a standard plexi tank but there are several other alternatives out there that many wholesale facilities use, i.e. fiberglass, Rubbermaid, etc. I would then move onto finding a sump and equipment. In terms of building, I don’t see why you would need deviate from conventional methods. With regard to the building, the things you have to think about are insulation/heating, lighting (especially if you plan on using natural light) and humidity.

With that said, I think the biggest problem with any project is getting the right equipment for the right price. Given that you are a student, I would probably focus the project around what type of equipment you can get your hands on, i.e. if all you can afford is a small tank, should you build a 12’x10’ building etc?

I know my advice was really general but its hard to help without anymore details. Maybe you can tell us where this shed will be located, the type of lighting scheme you plan on using, your budget, equipment list, what animals you plan on propagating, timeline, your level of carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills, how many people you plan on having help you, etc.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Also...how big are you talking?

A shed as in 8x12 or what?

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 10/24/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yamaha racer
common everybody. i need some help!!!! i need to get on this now. need any help i can get
if you are anything like my 17 year old son, also a HS senior, then this project is due Friday right? And you've had a month or so to put the plans together?

Give us some "realistic" goals, budgets, time frames etc.. and we can help you out. We cannot do it for you though, as I often tell my son