Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Latest update: The new sureflow with the bigger prop is working very well and is not making any noise at all, it has been in my tank since friday and am loving it. I have my controller turn if off at night for calm sea effect, but when it comes on in the morning I don't even notice it, nice and quiet. All my pumps and filtration systems are in the garage so my tank is dead quiet, so if their is any noise, I will notice right away

I know that some of you might be having some noise issue with the smaller prop running on the Maxijet 1200(usually the noise will go away after about a week of use), if you do have the noise issue and its still continue, you can talk to the vendors or you can go ahead and PM me,I'll connect you to Algea free and they will take care of you.
Old 10/22/2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
do I understand that this MJ mod works on all models of maxijets??

what are the GPH for the MJ 400, 600 and 900 with this mod if the MJ 1200 is 1600 GPH??

Thanks!
can someone please answer this for me...thanks!
Old 10/22/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

the mod works on ALL maxijets.
the ball joint holder works on the 400, 600, and 900. for the 1200 you will either need to glue it, tie it, or use those magnets
the algea free brand of magnet holder for the maxijet will work on ALL maxijets

the GPH is different for all the Maxijets, i dont know what the actual gphs are but there is a difference. i still have not seen an actual test.

the other mj mods out there like eco mods do have a greater gph due to the larger prop.
sure flow is to come out with a new model larger prop
eco mods are and have been found to have rust on their metal shaft.
Old 10/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Thank you, Pelochas... if anyone knows the difference in GPH for all the maxijets with the mod... let us know.
Old 10/22/2007, 04:33 PM
Charleston Reefer

Well i contacted both marinedepot.com and ecosystems. Hopefully they can come up wth a solution for the shaft problem. Seems like all they would have to do is ship out better SS shafts because it is very easy to take it apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Thank you, Pelochas... if anyone knows the difference in GPH for all the maxijets with the mod... let us know.
They all spin at the same speed. So the sureflow kits out now will have the same GPH for every maxijet.
Old 10/22/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

so it really makes no sense to do this mod on a 1200... when you can buy the 400 for less and get the same GPH???
Old 10/22/2007, 04:46 PM
Charleston Reefer

The only reason to use the MJ1200 is if you want to use the new sureflow kit with the bigger prop.
Old 10/22/2007, 05:16 PM
Moved On

Don't forget there's also the Gulf Stream II kit as well which allow you to remove the propeller and swap it out for another unlike any of the other kits.

Say if your propeller gets damaged with the Sureflow or EcoMod what are you going to do then but have to buy another from them? With the GS2 you can just replace the propeller from your local hobby shop.

The GS2 also allow you to cater the flow to your own needs
Say you bought the smaller medium flow kit and later upgraded your tank, you won;t have to buy a new kit for it, just swap out to a larger Dumas propeller ($2 at towerhobbies.com) and you're done. Vice versa for folks who hav moved to smaller tanks and can't use the larger prop, you can then just swap out to a smaller propeller to get less flow.

Last edited by dhnguyen; 10/22/2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10/22/2007, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

I'm sure Algae Free will gladly send out a new Propeller if one is damaged. I highly doubt they would even charge for it, they have great customer service.
Old 10/22/2007, 05:41 PM
Moved On

That's a lot of assumption on the manufacturer's customer service and "good faith"
How long would one expect them to keep providing free replacement parts for this? Not only that but you will be out of service while waiting for a replacement to ship.

My point is though, having the propeller and shaft all in one assembly is a really silly idea and very limited design (re: non-upgradable)
Old 10/22/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

I just wanted to post up some experience with the Sure Flow kit. I picked one up over the weekend, and a new MJ900 to go with it. I got the 900 because of the reported problems with the 1200s, and because in theory, it will put out the same GPH at less wattage than the 1200 (with the stock prop). I have the unit mounted using one of their magnets from a family member's old seio, and it's controled by my ACjr to be on for 20, off for 5. With the shroud positioned with the non-vented side up.

The good - The thing moves some water!. The ball and socket mounting is nice, and has some potential. I'm running the top of the shroud 2.625" below the water's surface and have only seen the water vortex 1x in the past few days. The pump is no more noisy than a Tunze 6025, and clatters a little less on startup. Sometimes startup is dead silent.

The Bad - I wish these were out when I set my tank up in February ( I know the DIY version was, but that's a different story) With the setup mounted with the pump below the ball joint, you can't articulate much downward angle. And with the ball joint below the pump, the footprint is larger and asthetically not as pleasing. I have a workaround for that which I'll get some pics of in a couple of days.

Overall, I'm really stoked on these, and if you wanted to take the time and hit up the MJ with some Krylon Fusion, you'd have a nice polished looking pump that performs well and doesn't detract too much from the asthetics of the tank.

I'm actually going to get a second kit, and use these two pumps in place of the ocean motions that was directing flow in my 60G cube. 2 of these will put out approx 3200GPH when on together(not counting my return), and since I'll stagger the timmers, I'll have periods with one or the other, both, and another very short window with neither of the pumps run. Very nice flexibility for the $$.

As far as solving the articulation problem, since I'm replacing overhead returns from my OM, I'm going to put the rear two bulkheads to work. I'll Weldon16 a close nipple to the back of the ball and socket bracket where the magnet would usually slide over. Then thread the close nipple up into the bulkhead. This will reduce the "footprint" of the pump in the tank a little (because basically just the socket from the ball and socket mount will be seen in the water column), and allow much better flexibilty in terms of aiming the pump. If people who don't have overhead returns wanted to do the same, you could affix a bracket from the back of your stand that hung over the tank close to the aters surface, then do something similar. Once I get the other kit in, and take down my Ocean Motion, I'll post a pic.

I did have a question for Dnguyen and Northbay Reefer since one has good experience with the pumps, and the other with the "high flow" prop setup from Algae Free. Will the "high flow" prop be able to be spun by a MJ900? I don't really see needing more flow in my tank, but it'd be cool to know I could try it if I wanted.

In case any of the Tunzephilles are wondering, I was orriginally going to go with modded 6025s. Asthetically speaking the pumps blow the Koralias away, and still look better than the MJmod variants. Buuuut, after seeing the sure flow kit in person and realizing I could mount it overhead in my setup and have a similar footprint; the allure of better flow, easily and cheaply replaceable powerheads, and the MJs proven tollerance of start/stop controllers won out.

Chris
Old 10/22/2007, 05:55 PM
Moved On

Not likely. Some MJ900 pumps can spin the larger Dumas while most won't.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response,

One less thing to wonder about

Chris
Old 10/22/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
With the setup mounted with the pump below the ball joint, you can't articulate much downward angle. And with the ball joint below the pump, the footprint is larger and aesthetically not as pleasing.
Umm, is your "workaround" turning the whole thing upside down? Because it should be, that's all you have to do to keep the same size footprint.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

I changed my mind.

I got four SureFlow 1600 2 weeks ago. They were loud when i put them on the 1200s. I emailed the manufacture and they took care of it right away. They sent me the new "Prop Shaft assembly" 2000 GPH. The New bigger prop worked great on my 1200s. Much quieter than the 1600 props were. Still a very slight hum, but I only hear it because the filter... is not running at the moment. Very nice

IMO matching the new 2000 with the 1200 MJ is the way to go. Not to mention the greatly increased flow awesome.

The "shaft prop" assembly is VERY easy to replace. I guess I changed my mind now I im very happy with these larger prop kits.

Last edited by Roland Jacques; 10/22/2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woz9683
Umm, is your "workaround" turning the whole thing upside down? Because it should be, that's all you have to do to keep the same size footprint.
If you turn the thing upside down the mount will slip off the magnet so thats not an option at this time unless you can find a way to tie it to the magnet. otherwise just turn the magnet side way and you could get more downward with the mount.

Roland, glad you like the new prop, they do take good care of their customers.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

where can I obtain the new shaft assembly? I would love to get two of them.

"The sea is everything...
An emmense reservoir of nature
where i roam at will...."
CAPT. NEMO
Old 10/22/2007, 08:24 PM
Moved On

Hmm... You think they would exchange 2 1600 shafts with the new 2000+ ones ?

I bought 2 Sureflow kits and ended up using my own MJ1200 magnets and mods (w/Dumas 3004 props) because the 1600's were just way too weak for me.

Basically I have 2 Sureflow 1600 props sitting there doing nothing.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:27 PM
Moved On

BTW.. It looks like Tritonaquatics finally updated their website with the new Gulfstream photos and info.

http://tritonaquatics.com/index_files/TheGulfStream.htm
Old 10/22/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

I`m one of the ones that had the noise issue with the Sureflow 1600 and maxijet 1200s. Using it on a 900 was no problem and was quite but the 1200 was noisy. After reading the post from northbay-reefer I was able to contact Algae Free about the problem. Within seconds of talking with them they offered to send out some of the new props that would take care of the issue. Great friendly people to work with and customer service that was a pleasure to be given.

Great flow on these and after 2 yrs I have seen some SPS polyp extension increase on some that are in the increased water flow area.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Hmm... You think they would exchange 2 1600 shafts with the new 2000+ ones ?

I bought 2 Sureflow kits and ended up using my own MJ1200 magnets and mods (w/Dumas 3004 props) because the 1600's were just way too weak for me.

Basically I have 2 Sureflow 1600 props sitting there doing nothing.
Dhnguyen, you should get those props replace man, they will take care of you. If you want, pm me and I'll connect you to him

phyxius cool, yeah the pollups extension are much better when you can get mass of water moving in random motion.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woz9683
Actually, it was to suspend the pumps from above so that you basicaly only see the pump and the socket of the back mounting plate through the viewing panes of the aquarium. But I think I covered that in my earlier post

If the 1200 with the bigger magnet/prop/shaft assembly is as quiet as the 900 setup I have now; do I buy an MJ1200 since it's the same size as a 900, and email them for the revised prop/shaft assembly? Or do I just go with two 900/1600 kits in my 60g cube? 3200gph, 3600gph or buy a second 1200 and get the bigger prop for that and go 4000gph in a cube. At some point things are going to get a little violent in there

Chris
Old 10/22/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

So, where does one get the new sureflows?
Old 10/23/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

the only thing i really don't like with the gs2 is their suction cup mounting system. you would think that they would have done something a little better then suction cups
Old 10/23/2007, 11:41 AM
Moved On

they do, the magnet mount is suppose to be released soon as well.