Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/10/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

oh i think i see what is going on. youre manually changing the gcode by editing it in a txt editor. i gotcha. its kinda the way i do it. using an CAM>Engrave operation, mine machines each ramp in 5 side by side passes, each starting at z0 and winds down to z-0.125. i need to quit postponing and get started on my new cnc. spend all that money on linear rails only to trip over them everytime i walk around my computer room.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Here ya go this is what that code produces.

Old 05/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Moved On

hey guys can any of you send me a gcode to make me one for a 8" tube i am in the totally new stage and really don't know most of the cnc talck
Old 05/10/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thesaent14
hey guys can any of you send me a gcode to make me one for a 8" tube i am in the totally new stage and really don't know most of the cnc talck
What cad, post processor and machine control are you using?

Don
Old 05/11/2007, 06:13 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by thesaent14

my drives
this is my machine i am using mach3 and sheetcam allso have autocad 2007 and solidworcks

thanks
Old 05/11/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

looks good don. it still doesnt look like that in my backplotter though. can the "wings" be that small and still press down enough to make a waterproof seal? or is the disc so big its making the "wings" appear tiny? i have been doing my "wings" right at 0.25". the first one i cut, i made it where it fit perfectly into the receiving part - big mistake - talk about a bear to remove it! its amazing how accurate these hobby machines are, and they really arent that accurate compared to an industrial cnc.
Old 05/11/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guido_kp
looks good don. it still doesnt look like that in my backplotter though. can the "wings" be that small and still press down enough to make a waterproof seal? or is the disc so big its making the "wings" appear tiny? i have been doing my "wings" right at 0.25". the first one i cut, i made it where it fit perfectly into the receiving part - big mistake - talk about a bear to remove it! its amazing how accurate these hobby machines are, and they really arent that accurate compared to an industrial cnc.
You wont see the ramps in a back plotter the way the code was modified. The wings are 3/16 and the center is designed to be cut out to 4". I just was to lazy to finsh it. If youve ever seen a deltec or commercial skimmer the twist lock are not even close to as chunky as folks are making them. They dont need to be so large and thick. I think one reason for making them so big is that they are stacking acrylic for the female side. I'm not stacking them, I'm cutting undercutting so tha flange only need to be 7/16 or 1/2 thick. I'm also ramping the female underside so that the two ramps provide a much larger area. Without ramping the females your just catching the edge.

I'll post a female when I get some free time.

Don
Old 05/12/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guido_kp
Here you can see what they look like finish. With a little extra code to cut the circle and round the corners.

Old 05/12/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

anybody want to donate their "old" diy cnc to me? I am having CNC envy and nowhere near starting my own project and may of you guys are on your "second" or "third" itteration! Good grief.
Old 05/12/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

yeah that does look good don. 3/16 is only an 1/8" smaller than the ones i have cut - theyre 4/16".

so youre saying you dont have the spacer in the female part, and just ramp the top piece as well? it makes sense, as it is a lot more surface area in contact and squeezing to make a watertight seal.

bean you can have my old one if i ever get the next one going. minus the electronics/leadscrews/leadnuts and router. though i would suspect you'd do better to just build one as shipping would be cost prohibitive and mine was the first/learner machine - little "oopsies" and "it'll be ok's" sprinkled thoughout it lol.
Old 05/12/2007, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

I just can't settle on a design. I am space limited but still want a decent size unit.

I want to do this one time. Aluminum frame? Hardwood frame? Leadscrews? Balls screws? Gantry style? Stepper size.

Just too many things to consider.
Old 08/18/2007, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Anyone have any new code to play around with? I should have my machine up and running in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Gotta keep this going, this thread is too good to let die.
Old 10/21/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

blfuller123 did you ever get your router functional? saw some pictures on cnczone while back and it looked really close.

i lost all my files and gcode last week when 1/4 of my RAID0 array decided to take a vacation. i dont even know why i had them in a RAID0 since i have never done video editing. i guess because it sounded cool to say "i have a RAID array" lol. anyway i got pretty proficient at drawing twistlocks amongst other things like diffuser plates and what not so i have been slowly redrawing everything. i also bought some steel for the frame and gantry of cnc v2.o now i can put those thk rails to use that i got like a year ago.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

It pains me to watch others make progress in their projects. I am still in the lurking stage and have not decided on a design or budget.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Anyone willing to sell me one of these? Please PM.
Thanks!
Old 10/22/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

I just had what was posted here.