Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brentp
to little DOC in the water and it won't skim
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is DOC?
Old 01/13/2006, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ajm-vfr
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is DOC?
Dissolved organic carbon, pretty much all of the organic compounds you are trying to skim out.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:24 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

The skimmer is clean and has been wiped down with both RO and saltwater. It was used for over a year when I obtained it so it was already broken in before.

I have one correction to my previous post... the skimmer has actually produce some foam in the tower, but only after shutting down my other skimmer (ASM G2) for 2 days and allowing the nutrients (and algae) to spike. At that point after 2 days of no skimming the EV-180 produces 1-2 inches of foam at the base of the tower. Occasionally a large bubble will form and splash upward, but the cup and cup neck remain nearly dry.

I've sent an email to AquaC for suggestions but haven't heard back yet. I'm ready to cut this thing open and turn it into a frankenstein skimmer. It couldn't hurt, since it's not working as is.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:28 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Sorry, double post.
Old 01/13/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

is the injecter pluged if so it cause the skimmer to not work right. if your runing 900 gph by its self thur that skimmer it should working greate is the air valve pluged
Old 01/13/2006, 11:47 PM
www.kandnsales.net

Quote:
Originally posted by brentp
For whatever reason the type of injector they use seems to produce foam like mad with very little pressure compared to a beckett, but only when the conditions are perfect. When you feed it interferes, hands in the water interferes, to little DOC in the water and it won't skim (I'm running a recirculating ER also, if I turn off the ER the EV180 will skim after a couple hours).

The only reason I want to use the EV180 is because I have to overflows and one of them feeds my ER directly. I want to skim the water going into the sump from the other overflow with the EV180.
must agree, if i put my finger in the water the skimmer stops producing.

whats up with that?

ok a slight exaggeration
Old 01/14/2006, 12:12 PM
Going for broke!

i have never found the sweet spot on my skimmer. contacted the company and they said nothing ever wears out, only the pump. just clean very often and i should have good results. i try and clean every weekend with no improvement. somebody needs to create a voting poll to see if all owners are happy. i'm not!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Old 01/14/2006, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

A poll would be great.

In the 8 months I have been using my skimmer, I have had 2 occasions that the skimmer started working, both lasted about a week and stopped when I had to clean the skimmer. When it worked, it worked great, but unfortunatly it is normally just sitting there bubbling not producing foam.

I have even upgraded from the mag 7 to the mag 9.5. I am about ready to scrap the skimmer and buy something else.

I am starting to see the results of not having a functional skimmer in my tank. I think I may have an alge bloom right around the corner.

When I saw this thread, I was hopefill of a mod that will make the skimmer work. In my very un-expert opinion, the injector is the problem.
Old 09/17/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

it has been almost two years since this tread died. I was wondering if anyone has any further information or modifications to consider. I am not happy with the skimming on the EV. I really think it could pull more. I have a mag 9.5 driving it but throttled back. Water level in the sump is 1" below the gate valve outlet and water level inside is just below the grey inner, horizontal separator.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the posts...seems like mods can be made easier on other skimmers.... so what is the vote on performance?
Old 10/21/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

I tried a becket with a Little Giant pump. So I had plenty of power. It did not work. The power of an aqua c is the turbulent water powering through the air space. When you push the becket air water mix through the air space you lose the power.

It would be interesting to see someone make this better.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

I wonder what putting a micro mesh pump through the side would do the the skimate production.