Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Purple Monster turning brown

I've had a frag of this in my tank for about 6 weeks. It's under a 400w 14k Ushio, about 20" below the light. Getting good flow. It's been slowly going from purple to brown. I checked my phosphates and they register 0, but I'm not running and GFO---didn't think I would need to with a frag tank and little feeding. Plus I have some other SPS in there that have colored up very nicely.

Any thoughts? Needs more light? less light?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

have you checked your calcium, magnesium, and alkalenity..?
Old 10/21/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

How long was the frag in your tank before it started turning brown?

Dream
Old 10/22/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Most likely it needs a bit more light to stay purple, but be careful about increasing light intensity. Even a few inches to the vertical can dramatically increase light intensity on the coral.

cj

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 10/22/2007, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sniggir
have you checked your calcium, magnesium, and alkalenity..?
Yea, all these are fairly normal --- alk in the low 9s dKH, Calcium 440, Mag 1400s. I only mentioned the PO4 because I thought that was often the cause for losing color.

It was in my tank for maybe 2 weeks before it started losing color. I started it down low and have been moving it up slowly (really "over" slowly since it's in a frag tank on eggcrate). Now that it's been losing color I'm not sure to move it towards the light or away from it or if it could be something else entirely.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Where in relation to what lighting is it? I have had a couple of newly aqcuired frags brown out in the past few months and I put them in the lowest lit area of the tank with good flow and they have colored back up. Then again if sax says more light don't listen to me.

I think maybe a good 20% WC and a battery of re testing and possibly a little GFO for a few days or so. Just keep good flow on it and give it some time.

Most of the purple monster corals I have seen look nothing like the one in Steve Tyree's tank(even if thats where it came from) so I just refuse to buy it.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I haven't read through this thread, but I imagine there is some food for thought in there:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1217593
Old 10/22/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

well...I run my sps tank in 50-100 ppm NO4 so I dont buy high NO4 causing brown out. to me, if something out of whack cause sps brown out, could be parameter, light changed, flow or even the sps location.

Go Angels.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
I haven't read through this thread, but I imagine there is some food for thought in there:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1217593
Thanks, that was helpful. Since I have other corals that are coloring up well, unless the PM is more delicate than others, I'd have to say it was lighting related.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
Thanks, that was helpful. Since I have other corals that are coloring up well, unless the PM is more delicate than others, I'd have to say it was lighting related.
or just stress/acclimation...of all corals I had a frag of Green slimer do this to me....it has regained its color but geez
Old 10/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EmDy
well...I run my sps tank in 50-100 ppm NO4 so I dont buy high NO4 causing brown out. to me, if something out of whack cause sps brown out, could be parameter, light changed, flow or even the sps location.
Firstly, I assume you mean either P04 or N03. Either way, I would love to know how you have success when virtually no tank I have ever seen with parameters like this has been able to keep sps colorful (or alive for that matter).

Brad
Old 10/22/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dascharisma
Firstly, I assume you mean either P04 or N03. Either way, I would love to know how you have success when virtually no tank I have ever seen with parameters like this has been able to keep sps colorful (or alive for that matter).

Brad
click on the red house to see my tank. My PO4 is .03 but yeah...my NO4 is always in 50-100 ppm Salifert and crossed with many test. Im adding 3 more fish today...

Go Angels.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EmDy
click on the red house to see my tank. My PO4 is .03 but yeah...my NO4 is always in 50-100 ppm Salifert and crossed with many test. Im adding 3 more fish today...
Wow. Very impressive.

Brad