Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy New LTA not eating

I've had this LTA for approximately a week, and it's still not accepting the krill I'm offering. Should I be worried, or is it just adjusting to its new surroundings?
Old 10/21/2007, 11:17 AM
w3rd

just be patient. as long as its attached through the substrate you should have an idea of how its doing. mine didnt eat for a week either.. it would grab the food then immediately let it go. you also need to offer it very small pieces, and i mean small. my guy is only 4-5" across, but i have to feed it pieces smaller than an eraser end, otherwise it wont eat it.

also, try offering it raw shrimp that you find in your grocery seafood section. i find that mine loves eating raw shrimp. just take it out of the freezer, cut a small piece off, rinse it in saltwater and let it defrost, then get a turkey baster and gently blow it into the tentacles of the LTA
Old 10/21/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the above, especially since it's pretty much exactly what I replyed to you in the pm lol.

I feed mine silverside heads
Old 10/21/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

I agreen 2 but, i feed my LTA and BTA with table shrimp and live fish

Good luck and know patient is the key

Reef Rules!!!!!
Old 10/21/2007, 04:22 PM
Reefer

How often are you feeding it? I know youve only had it a week but I wouldnt feed it everyday.

He probably isnt very excited about the food because he isnt 'hungry. Wait a week and try again, he should respond better.

When nems get spoiled by daily feedings they become finicky.

Good Luck
Jess
Old 10/21/2007, 07:07 PM
always hungry

There is all kinds of debris that can drift onto an anemone in the wild like pieces of seaweed, but they don't feed on it. They feed on live prey. If an anemone is having trouble eating you may want to try wiggling the food in its tentacles to simulate a struggling prey animal. This may cause a stronger feeding response from the anemone.