Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 11:13 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by TriniStylez
To me, this is absolutely sickening...

Looks like a bulk section of a grocery, only these poor guys are suppose to end up as "pets"...Although I guess there are other types of pets they eat over there, so who knows...
Next time you eat a burger remember that you are eating another cultures "pet"...

Seriously..
Old 10/19/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

im a wholesaler all collecting stations i buy from hati sri lanka africa hawaii wish they had those clean conditions and cram alot more fish than that in their tanks. japan china taiwan buy very large quanaties every week we cant supply enough caribbean fish weekly for them alone those are real life pics. any wholsale operation are select if any pics on their sites are for you too see they and look like a large selection, the truth is they are crammed to the gills with fish, our us facilities would make you cry at the real quanity of fish they hold to make money is to move a lot of fish, no diffrent than overseas pics your seeing bye they way im overseas 3 times a year to our customers and have yrt to see dogs and cats in glass cages same as petland petco or they are cages with a glass front to see
Old 10/19/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

im a wholesaler all collecting stations i buy from hati sri lanka africa hawaii wish they had those clean conditions and cram alot more fish than that in their tanks. japan china taiwan buy very large quanaties every week we cant supply enough caribbean fish weekly for them alone those are real life pics. any wholsale operation are select if any pics on their sites are for you too see they and look like a large selection, the truth is they are crammed to the gills with fish, our us facilities would make you cry at the real quanity of fish they hold to make money is to move a lot of fish, no diffrent than overseas pics your seeing bye they way im overseas 3 times a year to our customers and have yrt to see dogs and cats in glass cages same as petland petco or they are cages with a glass front to see
Old 10/20/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriniStylez
Well maybe you should ASK if I have been there or not...You just may have found out that, yes I have! It was about 6 years ago, before I was into fishkeeping, so I did not go to any fish shops but as for my last comment, I was there and many other parts of china for about 3 weeks and what I said was very true.
Other parts of China are much different than Hong Kong while you mentioned HK specifically. HK and China still have seperate different governments. To answer your comment you made in your earlier post dog meat for consumption is illegal in Hong Kong. Yes its legal in China but it's not as popular as you think.

I too don't like to see overcrowded fish but from a business standpoint there's no other choice.
Old 10/20/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

People are nuts if they think those fish are kept in bad conditions.

Do you guys think that every fish caught for our consumption is placed in a 50 gallon aquarium and shipped in bubble wrap here to the US?

We would be so lucky to recieve healthy fish that spend minimum time in crowded tanks but instead the fish we get here are shipped from collection points to wholesalers, from wholesalers to LFS's where a good portion of them end up in ich infested tanks in Petco's only to die.

Calling the Chinese barbaric because they keep fish in crowded tanks for a short period of time is very ignorant. We here in the US are responsible for far more deaths of fish and corals that need to be to be shipped a great distance and often times re-shipped when we purchase animals online.
Old 10/20/2007, 05:14 AM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by 5iron
next time, ask someone who know around fish street bring you to the "up stair" fish store in fish street. they have the best SPS and much nicer coral in hk.
All right, an inside scoop! Thanks, I was wondering if there was more SPS than I had seen. Next time I'm back in HK, I'll have to ask.

I guess my personal take on the crowding was that the turnover was very high - so yes, I didn't expect that the fish would be in those conditions for very long. I am more concerned about the fish that are not known to do well in captivity - the Moorish Idols, the corallivore butterflys ... that part bothers me but unfortunately, it's a fact of life in the aquarium industry.

Having said that, the stores did look very clean. I happened to stumble across a regular pet store in a mall in Whampoa (area of Hong Kong) on my last day and I have to say that the display area for the cats/dogs was better than a lot of pet stores that I see in the States (that may be damning with faint praise ) - a lot bigger with a hidden area in the back where the animals could retreat to at will.

Spleen
Old 10/20/2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

This is not so bad if you compare to the turtle streets in other citys like Canton.
Old 10/20/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

spleen93, thanks for posting i will not pass judgement until i walked in their shoes. I eat fish, chicken, deer, baby pig = baby back ribs, and veal so how can i pass judement. Again thanks for posting i also i love to see how aqurium stores are around the world.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Im sorry but for the people who are calling this fish store ignorant and such is very wrong. You have not seen the fish store just pictures of overcrowded fish, Our fish stores here in America dont cram 20 fishes in a 20 gallon tank, but they still die from ich and other diseases and you call the Chinese aquarium shop ignorant? Im pretty sure with that many fish they bring in the turnover of how much fish they sell is alot. The tanks are clean, the fish are thriving. I've been to wholesale places in America alot worse then that. They've been able to fit a 15 inch pinktail trigger in a 40 gallon. Hey but it'll be sold quick, right? The chinese way maybe differnt then us, There is a shop where I live run by vietnamesse, they are able to work wonders with their mixed chemicals. There is more to this hobby than your regular filtering materials such as a protein skimmer or an ozonizer or a UV light. Its amazing how you are able to trash them for that, when you cant take a step back and look at yourselves.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glaudds
lol....here's some images from my trip this year. Hope the OP doesn't mind if I add to his thread...

Wow the elegance looks very nice, and fish bags on the rack, crazy!

In Vietnam I've seen pictures of transportable aquariums where if its slow in one area, they just move their cart and camp somewhere else.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:54 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by OnoIgotICH
Wow the elegance looks very nice, and fish bags on the rack, crazy!

Those are anemones!
Those are the largest ones I've ever seen in a LFS.!
Old 10/20/2007, 10:02 PM
Moved In

[flamealert]

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/21/2007, 03:05 AM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by db_triggerfish
I eat fish, chicken, deer, baby pig = baby back ribs, and veal so how can i pass judement.
Actually, AFAIK, baby back ribs don't actually come from baby pigs - they're just the short end of the rib cage of an adult hog. So you're all good, man.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=446384

I agree, those are huge anemones! Macrodactyla? (not so good with the anemone IDs)

Spleen

Last edited by spleen93; 10/21/2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10/24/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I am getting ready to go to Canton (Guangzhou) and Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I am very excited to see this in person. I understand there are two big fish markets (streets) in Hong Kong. The Fish Market in Kowloon and Aquarium Plaza near the end of Tai Koo MTR station. Any suggestions on what I should not miss?
Old 10/24/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

last time i was in HK, i had a 3 pound parrot fish for dinner... it was delicious...
Old 10/24/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Our fish stores here in America dont cram 20 fishes in a 20 gallon tank,
Visit a marine wholesaler in the US, not as bad as in these pics but damn close.
Old 10/25/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

i been to fish wholesalers in NJ, NY and they are much worse. a large amount of fish dont even get to make it to the bagging table and they are already dead. its amazing they have the capability to be able to sell such high quantities of fish in Asia.

i been to the "fish street" in HK and the fish street in Guangzhou. Guangzhou is HUGE, at least 100+ aquarium stores and every one of them are full to the brim stocked with SW fish, Corals, tanks, equipment and everything else. theres like an army of customers marching in and out buying fish and supplies. i was shocked in how available everything is, its like everything you want just right there waiting for you to buy it. once i "acclimated" to the environment, i LOVED the experience. i also learned alot since there systems are generally more natural and simple compared to the way we do it here.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

ive visited hong kong a number of times and have been on "fish street" my brother is in the navy. if you spend a week in these stores you would be HIGHLY IMPRESSED with the amount of fish that are sold and the attention that theyre given while in the tanks. HK was absolutely insane with fish husbandry. have any of you seen a tropical aquarium mag lately? the tanks represented in the magazine speak for alot of homes. its like a must have for homes! beautiful city. and as far as the pets for food, i like HBtanks post at the top of page 3! smart person! buy yourself a plane ticket and visit before you make comments
Old 10/26/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jewtball
theres like an army of customers marching in and out buying fish
Sure it's ok to keep the fish in a small tank for a few short days, but who knows how educated the people who are buying these fish are about their minimum tanks sizes, and special requirements. The fish might end up right back in a small tank, filled to the rim with fish. Did anyone talk to any of the people who were working in the stores? I'd be interested to know what they tell people to convince them buy their fish.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

speaking of eating dogs
[chimp]

I'd advise against doing that again.

Last edited by mhurley; 10/26/2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

wow shut the hell up. you guys are judging by just pictures but yet you have never been there. Speaking of eating dogs? You couldnt be more than a racist ***hole
Old 10/26/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

These pics INFLAME me. Nothing says Chinese, like chock a bunch of stuff in small area and sell it for cheap...not to mention the dogs but I wont go there! What you are looking at is a cultural revolution that one day our culture(most westerners) will clash with so for all you folks that think this is cool you have alot of waking up to do.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
wow shut the hell up. you guys are judging by just pictures but yet you have never been there. Speaking of eating dogs? You couldnt be more than a racist ***hole

Now you are judging him......and FWIW i have been there. Talk about social and economic stratification...you will find it there. Mods better close this down before it gets ugly.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

wow i can definitely dig up a few pics that can easily show how cruel or culturally different the "west" can be but i think if you count how many PEOPLE the "WEST have killed compared to how many people the chinese have killed that can show much worse. in the last century how many wars have the US and the western nations have started? how many invasions of foreign countries and many innocent civilians are killed?

just cause you dont see the killing doesnt mean it isnt there. i have been to China, Korea, and most of the Asian countries and i can say that though some information is witheld, in general the information is much better spread out than here in the US. just look at the Bush administration. everything is so covered up and the public dont know its there.

every culture has its own negatives and positives. dont go judging other cultures when there is so much judging that needs to be done to your own.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jewtball
wow i can definitely dig up a few pics that can easily show how cruel or culturally different the "west" can be but i think if you count how many PEOPLE the "WEST have killed compared to how many people the chinese have killed that can show much worse. in the last century how many wars have the US and the western nations have started? how many invasions of foreign countries and many innocent civilians are killed?

just cause you dont see the killing doesnt mean it isnt there. i have been to China, Korea, and most of the Asian countries and i can say that though some information is witheld, in general the information is much better spread out than here in the US. just look at the Bush administration. everything is so covered up and the public dont know its there.

every culture has its own negatives and positives. dont go judging other cultures when there is so much judging that needs to be done to your own.
I judge my own.....greatly. And I didn't vote for that idiot so don't push him off on me! Anyways I appreciate the pics, however, I was just mentioning how representative that fish store is of their economy, culture and ideals. You can't argue with that cuz you know its true.

I am not going to say anything about the dog pics as that was just unneccessary.