Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

i added increaded flow yesterday and my new filters are running with the correct numbers. I will start to increase my alk to 8.5 once I have done 2 or 3 water changes.
Old 10/19/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

lights off one day might be enough as a start,

macroalgaes also help reduce phosphate. Keeping temperature low might also help, and don't thaw in tank as been said earlier :-)
Old 10/19/2007, 01:59 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i am sure you will win in a couple of weeks with those changes
Old 10/19/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgtesting
I have also reduced my MH by an hour a day, hopefully that will help ( i did have them off for 1.5 days already).
That's not really going to work. It's like when your sick and you go to the doctor for antibiotics. If you feel better and stp taking them, the infection comes back and you get really really sick.

Same here. The 1.5 days is not enough to kill the cyano, only enough to kill the weaker cells. So now only the remaing strong cells are multiplying.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 10/20/2007, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

keep us posted on how it goes
Old 10/21/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

I just finished with lights out for 3.5 days....it worked wonders, but now we just have to see how long it takes to regroup and come back in full force....keep us posted on how your try went...
Old 10/21/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I added an additioanl 1200 gph flow and used a turket baster to suck off most of the slime... then i did a 80 gallon water change and before I did that I replaced my filter on my RO maker. Also I noticed that my alk was a bit low so I am boosting it up. I also added a lot of macro algae to my tank by my tangs ate it.

I am still getting a bit of slim in some areas but it is getting better... I need to give it another week and do a 2nd large water chagne and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I thought macro was usually only supposed to be added into your sump/fuge b/c the lights going on and off in your display could make the macro turn sexual...not that it'd be so much of a problem b/c your tangs are eating it in the first place though....

But seriously, the lights out idea works really well....Some of my corals lost a little color and I hated not being able to see the tank (since I covered it with a bag), but it really killed any reasonable trace of the algea.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

i did not know that, but i have t5 in my sump also.