Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

265 Gallon Stand

I was at the LFS today and seen a Perfecto 265 gallon with stand and canopy on sale for very cheap. I examined the tank throughly and it seemed well made. But the stand that comes with it seems a little flimsy compared to the stuff I see people on here making. It only hold the tank up at each end and in the center.

Does anyone have a tank this large on the stand that comes with the tank, or am I better off building my own? I plan to have this tank for many years and do not what the stand to give out over time.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I know what you mean about the stands "looking" flimsy. I think it is safe to believe that it is not. It is probably made out of at least 3/4 inch ply. That stuff is perdy sturdy especially when the weight is pushing straight down. You could park a bulldozer on top of it and be fine. I am going to build my own only because I want something that has a little more eye appeal, other wise I would buy one already built.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I've put together pre-fab stands that I wouldn't trust to hold books, but somehow, they hold the tank just fine
Old 10/17/2007, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Im in agreement with the above poster, and would add that most of the stands you see here are totally overbuilt.

Im building my own for added height and to match the styling in my home. It will probably be another overkill stand, but thats how I do projects
Old 10/17/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Im in the middle of finishing mine. I used mainly 2x6's for the frame and legs to support my 120g. Yea, its overkill, but then again woods cheap and I know I wont have to worry. My FW tank has a store bought stand and though it 'looks' flimsy it isnt, its held up a 60g for the last 4-5 years.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

One issue with using 2x4's and 2x6's etc... is that you have to be very careful when selectin the boards. An imperfect board with a bow, knot, etc... can cause your tank to sit unlevel and will bust the tank when you fill it. I would stick with the 3/4 inch ply.
Old 10/17/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Would adding more support to the current stand hurt it in anyway? I was going to added a few 2x4s for the internal support for the stand for extra strength.
Old 10/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

IMO, it can only help....well within reason
Old 10/17/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SUPERHERO2943
One issue with using 2x4's and 2x6's etc... is that you have to be very careful when selectin the boards. An imperfect board with a bow, knot, etc... can cause your tank to sit unlevel and will bust the tank when you fill it. I would stick with the 3/4 inch ply.
I have 1/2" ply and pink foam ontop of the frame for further support and leveling issues.
Old 10/18/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Last question, with a tank this big the only sections supported is the outter rim by the stand. Should I add plywood to the base and use foam to support the bottom piece of glass?
Old 10/18/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Most tanks are designed to rest on the outer edge. Supporting the bottom wouldnt be neccesary. Ive even read theories of it being detrimental.
Old 10/18/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

this isnt an issue at all.
Old 10/18/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

I just built a DYI stand base on Rockets specs. I notice it rocks a little. What shouuld I do or will the water weight correct this?

i dont have any plywood anywhere yet
Old 10/18/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

if the tank rocks the water weight will bust your tank.