Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 11:26 PM
SPS Freak

What kind of anthias are they? I love the multitude of fish in there. Very clean and colorful.
Old 10/18/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
What kind of anthias are they? I love the multitude of fish in there. Very clean and colorful.
Thanks.
The reason for me to make the tank so big this time is to accomodate lots of fish.
I have over 70 fish.
There are 3 schools of fish, the scalefin anthias (12), the yellow strip/purple queen mix school (10) and green chromis (12.)
Old 10/18/2007, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

AWESOME!!!!!
Old 10/18/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

You do realize icliao that I've purchased a one way plane ticket to Indonesia and that you are my long lost father? Of course if the DNA tests don't pan out I'll be reduced to standing at your front door begging for frags.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icliao
Thanks Duce for your encouraging comment,

The tank design layout and filter room photos are all in the link I provided.
What specific humidity problem you have in mind?
I was thinking a while back one of the RC member I think he has a 400G tank but he has to tear it down due to humidity from evaporation casuing mold and mildew in his house. So wondering if you have put in any exhaust system to vent out the humidity etc.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duce
I was thinking a while back one of the RC member I think he has a 400G tank but he has to tear it down due to humidity from evaporation casuing mold and mildew in his house. So wondering if you have put in any exhaust system to vent out the humidity etc.
I have no such experience. I believe if the house is well ventilated, it will no cause such problem. However, I have heard similar case from a friend who lives in an apartment.

By the tank design, my overflow box situated outside in the filter room at the balcony. Most of the splashing action takes place there.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Do you get your corals locally from collectors there? My LFS gets shipments from Indonesia. I went to the salt water aquarium "flea market"...?Wiggin Market...in Bangkok about 10 years back and I was salivating at the variety that they have there. Actually brought back the fuschia Heteractis Aurora that you see under my boardname. I think I paid $5 for it at the time. I've never seen a similar anemone sold online or anywhere again.

Last edited by aurora; 10/18/2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:44 AM
SPS Freak

I can't find those scale anthias anywhere online. Is it native to Indonesia? Is there another name that is more recognized? I'd like to add 7 in my 180.
Old 10/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Alpha One

Very nice looking tank, you should be proud of your accomplishment. Especially after you had the big tank crash a while ago.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 10/18/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
I can't find those scale anthias anywhere online. Is it native to Indonesia? Is there another name that is more recognized? I'd like to add 7 in my 180.
I think those are pretty common anthias, some call them Orange Anthias, Lyretail Anthias. They relatively easy to keep though could be shy initially. In time they will learn to eat even pallets.
Old 10/18/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora
Do you get your corals locally from collectors there? My LFS gets shipments from Indonesia. I went to the salt water aquarium "flea market"...?Wiggin Market...in Bangkok about 10 years back and I was salivating at the variety that they have there. Actually brought back the fuschia Heteractis Aurora that you see under my boardname. I think I paid $5 for it at the time. I've never seen a similar anemone sold online or anywhere again.
I buy most of my corals from exporter in Bali. THe LFS does not carry SPS most of the time.

While it is possible to collect your own SPS, the survival rate is dismal without proper packaging, cooling and oxygen.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:50 PM
SPS Freak

Thanks. Ok, I'm familiar with the Lyretail. I thought they were similiar but I've never owned them.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

That is one great looking reef. Nice job!!
Old 10/19/2007, 10:24 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Wonderful job on the tank! Everything looks great, nice and healthy.
Old 10/19/2007, 02:38 PM
SMBS

sick man, just plain sick

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 10/20/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

I just uploaded a video of my tank. Enjoy.

Video of my tank
Old 10/20/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Jeeebus. One hell of a tank!
Old 10/20/2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

wow. one of the more remarkable tanks i have seen in quite a while. i nominate for TOTM. well deserved. i love the skittles granulosa and the pocci. is the really intense blue colony a hoke? congrats on the success. did you wire up your fuse box yourself? looks like you double as a plumber and electrician, lol. i noticed you commented in a previous post that your overflow is on the balcony...is this monster on the second floor? if so how did you pull that one off, that thing has got to weight a couple tons at leaste.
Old 10/20/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dukes707
wow. one of the more remarkable tanks i have seen in quite a while. i nominate for TOTM. well deserved. i love the skittles granulosa and the pocci. is the really intense blue colony a hoke? congrats on the success. did you wire up your fuse box yourself? looks like you double as a plumber and electrician, lol. i noticed you commented in a previous post that your overflow is on the balcony...is this monster on the second floor? if so how did you pull that one off, that thing has got to weight a couple tons at leaste.
Thanks man.
The tank is actually on the 3rd floor.
I actually "borrowed" my company's electrician to do the wiring. (How lucky)
That is why I had to "reduce" it to 3m after discussion with the architech. I estimate the tank to be 5 tons.
That is another reason I move the filter to the balcony to split the weight and not use DSB.
I do not know the name of the intense blue colony because the Bali exporter just call it "deep blue staghorn."
Old 10/20/2007, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

5 tons. lets see, i'm no math major, but i think that works out to 10,000 lbs on the third floor. that just boggles my mind. thats like having 2-3 full grown elephants standing in one room on the third floor. you didnt have to reinforce the floor? wow your building standards in indonesia must be outta this world. i was worried about putting my 90g on my second floor, now i just feel silly. lol. truely awesome. i might be traveling to that part of the world soon. mind if i check it out while i'm out there. i gotta see that thing in person.

-francis
Old 10/20/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dukes707
5 tons. lets see, i'm no math major, but i think that works out to 10,000 lbs on the third floor. that just boggles my mind. thats like having 2-3 full grown elephants standing in one room on the third floor. you didnt have to reinforce the floor? wow your building standards in indonesia must be outta this world. i was worried about putting my 90g on my second floor, now i just feel silly. lol. truely awesome. i might be traveling to that part of the world soon. mind if i check it out while i'm out there. i gotta see that thing in person.

-francis
This building was a custom built with full steel/concrete. All the walls are doubled the size of normal buildings here.

It still scared the hack out of me when an earth quake of striked one month right after the tank is completed.
It managed to survive without a scratch and I am having more faith in the construction now.
Old 10/20/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

beautiful tank
Old 10/20/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I bet the tenants under you really got a scare when that quake hit. I can picture the tank dropping through the floor and flushing them out of their window lol.
That is an amazing tank! I never knew Indonesia had so many wonderful saltwater tanks. I hope you are tank of the month so I can read up on everything in detail.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoFloReefer
I bet the tenants under you really got a scare when that quake hit. I can picture the tank dropping through the floor and flushing them out of their window lol.
That is an amazing tank! I never knew Indonesia had so many wonderful saltwater tanks. I hope you are tank of the month so I can read up on everything in detail.
Fortunately we own all 3 stories and the floor below it is an utility room and after that the garadge in the first floor.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Amazing corals and fishes in a custom tank in custom building what more can I reefer ask for