Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

how long for mangrove leaves

I ordered 2 mangroves about a month ago. They came with no leaves or roots. Now they have small roots, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. The top of both have pointy tips where it looks like leaves should grow and open from but the very tip is kind of brown and dried up. Do leaves take much longer than roots to grow? Any experience?

Thanks.
Old 10/04/2007, 07:50 PM
Here's lookin at you

Yep the leaves do tend to take longer. The first order of business is to attach to the substrate and begin taking up nutrients.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 10/04/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Well I check it once a week or so and lift it out becuase in the end I want some of the roots exposed. I heard they grow fastest if they are touching the substrate so I am letting it but lifting it as it grows. Does this mean that since it cannot attach in a fixed location that it will delay the growing of the leaves?
Old 10/04/2007, 09:19 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Quote:
Originally posted by chemman1
Does this mean that since it cannot attach in a fixed location that it will delay the growing of the leaves?
Yes, the water column can only provide trace elements and water- borne nitrates. Whereas a good substrate can provide everything mangroves need to survive and thrive. I use a deep bed of Carib-Sea's mineral mud. TinMan
Old 10/04/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

So do you recommend not disturbing the roots and letting them grow? I would have no problem with this but I would like the look of the exposed root structure. The tank has about 2 inches of black dirt in the bottom covered by an inch or so of sand. It has fully cycled but there still has to be tons of excess nutrients from the dirt. I would think more than enough in the water to allow the mangrove to grow.
Old 10/04/2007, 09:58 PM
Here's lookin at you

Once the roots have gotten into the substrate I would not recomend disturbing them. My mangrove had its roots into the substrate, and removing it was difficult. It has taken close to a year for it to recover. Once the roots get into the substrate they send out tons and tons of tiny hair-like roots. You cant help but damage these roots when removing it. If you want the nice tall arching roots then keep it suspended in the water for a little while so the roots can get long. then let it grow into the substrate.

Old 10/04/2007, 10:01 PM
Here's lookin at you

Here's my build thread for my original mangrove tank. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...e&pagenumber=1

Old 10/17/2007, 09:10 PM
Sea cowgirl

Excellent advice so far. I wanted to add my short observation: mangrove propagules (the seeds we get shipped in) can last in open water for months. When they contact suitable substrate they start the buisness of growing roots and then, several weeks later, start leaf growth. I've paid particular attention to one stand and have seen some propagules take three months to produce leaves after they had contacted the substrate. Amazingly slow plants. But successful.

>Sarah