Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down Aquarium Adventure

How in the world are they still in business with their high prices??

I needed a power head for my new 210 so that I could get the salt mixed with the water before my closed loop was 100% functional. They wanted 50% more than Phishy does for a Koralia #4, luckily I got them to price match. If Phishy was open 7 days a week I would never step foot in that place ever again. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I'm still appalled.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:48 PM
Moved On

kyle got them to price match phishy too today
Old 10/16/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

yeah, their prices are outrageous. i saw an anthias for $99 at AA...at phishy they are $39.

i was also surprised to see 2 sharks in their shark tank.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:48 AM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
First time i'd been in there in about 6 months
I laughed $75 for a koralia 4, but you know its good marketing for them, Someone comes in that just wants to throw money around and buys a couple for that, I come in and say that I can get them for $49 and they price match, they maybe have $40 in the pump, so for everyone that they sell for $75 they are doing very well. Also they have them in stock (at that price it doesn't surprise me) which I've yet to find anyone else that does.

They actually dropped their prices on corals, they used to be completely absurd, but they actually had some decent frags for $37 still high, but much better than the $99 they used to charge.
It will still be hard to sell a medium hippo tang with ich for $135 though.....
Love em or hate em.....I'm impartial, did everyone know that they and petland are the same company? It explains petlands prices as well.....
Old 10/16/2007, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

They own the petland name most of the stores just use buy the name and are indivitually owned.yah most of them do mark everything up 500%
Old 10/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

I donno. when I first started out, AA was the only store i knew of. I dident find reefcentral for at least 6 months after i started, and when your a newbie you dont KNOW that the prices are too high.
and usually dont know about the smaller reef stores either.
So i happily shopped there until phishys opened and i was a lil bit more involved in reefing.

I still go during the sale though

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 10/16/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I've shopped that store for the last time!

I met up with a couple reefers in the parking lot one saturday to buy some used equipment, I decided to go into AA and buy something and when I got home and saw the price for the same thing online for almost half the price. I felt totaly ripped off.
Old 10/16/2007, 06:19 PM
GO BUCKS

speaking of AA... anybody no when there buy 1 get 1 food sale is
Old 10/16/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Usually, I only go to look at the tank setups, or to find an oddball FW fish or something. Unless there is a sale, or I have a coupon (which I get one every few months)..... I just like to go look at the zero edge tank they have setup.

At least they have a nice selection of tanks. Have I bought one there? NO.. too pricey for me. But it is good to go and see one up close.

Unless they have something I can't get anywhere else, Serdar (Phishy) has my business for the SW stuff & livestock. Just wish he was open more days.
Old 10/16/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

tab n dust.. not sure. theres 2 a year right? the one is in august, the other im not sure, maybe after xmas?

I still have a ton from august, i really like the pemysis, first time i had tried it.

Old 10/16/2007, 07:03 PM
RC Sponsor

We appreciate all of you that support us.......we really do! With your support we are able to continue to offer the lowest prices in town and the best selection. We are currently looking into opening our doors 7 days a week.
Sincerely,
Phishy
Old 10/16/2007, 07:04 PM
GO BUCKS

i must have missed the august sale
Old 10/16/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

don't stress yourseleves out either. a break is a good thing!! Unless theres emergency circumstances we can usually wait

Old 10/16/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I usually go there every once in a while for some ghost shrimp or if I have a gift card.

I actually got asked to leave AA once for handing out Phishy's card.

There was a group of college kids in there talking about setting up some tanks but were complaining about the prices so I gave them a card and also told them about cora.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

thats funny because i called jacks pets asking about blackworms and the head aquarium guy actually referred me to phishys telling me they usually have alot of odd things! lol

Old 10/16/2007, 08:42 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
The manager said the next sale will be in december before christmas.....
Old 10/16/2007, 09:00 PM
GO BUCKS

thanks kyle
Old 10/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

7 days a week

Quote:
We appreciate all of you that support us.......we really do! With your support we are able to continue to offer the lowest prices in town and the best selection. We are currently looking into opening our doors 7 days a week.
If you could just pass out a few keys, we could just work on the honor system. This way you can be "open" 7 days a week but only have to work 6.

Pretty good idea huh?

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:17 PM
RC Sponsor

I like it.........?
Old 10/16/2007, 09:19 PM
Team RC Member

just put all the expensive stuff on the top shelves and you'll be ok when joe visits
Old 10/16/2007, 09:30 PM
RC Sponsor

Old 10/16/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I hate you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lmao

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Their livestock is horrible. I have never really priced any pumps ect. I have to say they are very cheap on there tanks. The beat all the compitition at the time by hundreds on my Oceanic.

Kyle
Old 10/17/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Yea, that is their plan. If they can sell a tank cheap to a newb they make all their money back in spades when that newb comes back for all their equipment and live stock. That is how they got me when I started. I didn't buy a tank from them but my friend took me there and I figured my friend knew what he was talking about when he said it was a good store. So I bought all my equipment there and some livestock.

Oh and their little "Fish club" that you have to pay to be a member off, Pfft!
Old 10/17/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Gotta love it when you see them selling a newb the tank AND all the livestock in the same purchase....