Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 10:44 AM
Moved On

octipus

my boy wants one what does he need as in everything from scratch
Old 10/15/2007, 11:00 AM
i'm here for you two

you said your 18 yet your boy wants one........what you have a split personality?

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 10/15/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Boy as in homeboy or boy as in son? You need everything you would need in a FOWLR setup. No diffrent. Except for the fact that they dont live very long and are usually kept be more experienced aquariast.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

unless you're an experienced aquarist, dont bother. a lucky aquarist can keep an octo a year, most die within a couple months.

you also keep to mod your tank to be escape proof... as in NO holes anywhere.

if you still think you're up to it, just a FOWLR set up with said mods to be escape proof. the more volume the better.
Old 10/15/2007, 12:26 PM
Girl Geek

I would check the cephlapod forum here if you really want to know more about them. As others said, octos are a lot of work - requiring a larger tank (typically 90 is the min I think) and you cannot keep anything beyond corals with them as they will be ate. Beyond that, they don't have a long life expectancy.

If he really wants a cool invert and is not looking for large setup costs maybe provide some info about a mantis shrimp tank (also a forum here). IMO, a much better starter invert if he is just getting into the hobby. Plus, have you seen the clips of the mantis taking out the blue ring octo? Pretty bad little shrimps, just keep the fingers safe. Here's an article on those if you think he'd be interested: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php