Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Milwaukee CO2 Regulator

I have been having some troubles with mine regulator. It seems like the needle valve is cloged. When i trn it to a certain drip rate that i want, 5 minutes laterit is almost closed. I have only had it for 6 months
Does anyone know how to clean it?
Old 10/08/2007, 11:44 AM
sweeeet!!

I lived with that problem for years. From what I gather, it was a fairly cheap model, but that is all that I have ever owned. If I do all over again, I may just use another one and hope it sets. There are more expensive models out there. You can also add a second valve for more precise control. A friend bought one from some kind of a welding store and it had two valves for control. He never had to touch it.

To answer your question, I don't know how to clean it.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 10/08/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

I will look into a second valve. thanks
Old 10/08/2007, 12:20 PM

I use a Milwaukee regulator for my planted tank. Mine never had a problem (knock on wood) but I suppose you will have to bypass the needle valve and use your own needle valve and bubble counter, since the bubble counter is built in on the Milwaukee units.

I wouldn't disassemble the regulator.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:37 PM
SWFMAS President

I have the same exact problem, and it drives me NUTS!

I ended up picking up a flow Dwyers flow meter w/ valve, and have the needle valve on the regulator wide open. sucks, but only thing i can think of ... except sending it back, and waiting for 2 weeks w/out a regulator.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I had the same problem you're describing. It was very frustrating! I finally replaced the needle wheel valve with another and problem gone!

My Milwaukee reg was less than 1yr old too. I researched to try and find the cause and figured the NW valve needed to be replaced. Call my LFS looking for one and the guy there acted like I was crazy for wanting to replace one...he said NW valves NEVER go bad so they do not stock them and good luck trying to find one local. So following his advice and I did not change it out, but took apart everything I could and cleaned it / blew it out then put it back together. It seemed to work for 24 hours, but went right back to the problem. I finally got sick and tired of dealing with it and decided LFS did not know what he was talking about and I bought a new NW valve from Premium Aquatics. It's worked like a champ and the problem has never returned!
Old 10/11/2007, 09:44 AM
SWFMAS President

If your CO2 regulator is still under warranty, You can contact Milkaukee and they will replace parts for you.
I called them yesterday, explained my problem, and they Bryan said he would put the needed parts in the mail same day.

Take care,

marco

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

I called them when having the bubble flow problem with mine. They were very nice on the phone, but because I was not sure of the cause, I would have needed to ship the entire unit back to them.

I was unsure how long this process would take until I received a working unit back so I opt'ed not to and just try replacing the NW myself. I did not want to be without CA reactor for a good length of time - although it had to be continuously adjusted to keep the bubbles flowing.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Get rid of that crap and get this regulator:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARI...ST_p/co2-1.htm

This was recommended by someone to me from RC and this is the best regulator ever. I had a Milwaukee and once I started messing with it and trying to clean it, it hadn't worked well for me since.
Old 10/12/2007, 05:32 PM
SWFMAS President

I received my parts today, and already have it changed out.
Bryan @ Milwaukee said the needle valve he sent has a larger orfice, but is still just as easy to adjust, and accurate.
Took about 5 minutes, to replace the Needle Valve body, and another 2 minutes for the selenoid.

Take care,

marco

QUOTE by deschlayer:
Old 10/14/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

the milwaukees are crap. this is my 2nd one and its doing the same thing. Anyone know where i can get a new needle valve?
Old 10/15/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

wizmaster - how has the replacement parts worked out for you?

hipertec - I replaced mine with the one from premium aquatics and the bubble flow has not given me any problems since.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:17 AM
SWFMAS President

So far so good - I received a new Needle Valve and regulator - both are functioning as they should.
Will they still be functioning 3 months down the road - who knows - but as we sit right now they are.
There were no questions asked by milwaukee - they offered to replace & get me back up & running.

QUOTE by deschlayer: