Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Beware PVC!

Found this while searching for some PVC parts online. Thought some of you might enjoy it seeing as a large portion of us use it in this very hobby!

http://www.pvcfree.org/
Old 10/12/2007, 01:56 AM
Crap Under User Name

ARGGG!!!

I hate that uninformed push to rid the world of PVC!

Yes, PVC is toxic. However, the average homeowner will never encounter PVC's toxicity. In order to be toxic, you need to inhale PVC dust (which isn't gonna happen unless you are cutting the stuff daily) or burn the plastic. The latter is where most homeowners will get exposed to the toxins. However, if your PVC pipes are burning, leave your house, go to the neighbor's and call 911. Your house is on fire.

If you think PVC is bad, take a look at Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org/

Quote:

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.

Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.

Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.

DHMO is a major component of acid rain.

Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.

Contributes to soil erosion.

Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.

Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.

Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.

Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.

Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.

Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.

Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Now that is some scary stuff!

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.

Last edited by MarkS; 10/12/2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10/12/2007, 04:51 AM
Stop touching me!!!

If you think THAT'S dangerous, wait till you take a look at RUNNING WITH SCISSORS!!!

What were you thinking when you posted that URL?

Last edited by BrianD; 10/12/2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10/12/2007, 02:41 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman
If you think THAT'S dangerous, wait till you take a look at RUNNING WITH SCISSORS!!!

What were you thinking when you posted that URL?
BAD Minuteman! BAD!

Seriously though, there are many things in the home that are far worse than PVC.

Chlorine is deadly in large amounts and toxic in small amounts, and yet we allow our kids to swim in chlorinated pools, we drink chlorinated water and wash clothes in chlorine bleach. Every time we do so, we are ingesting chlorine and exposing ourselves to chlorine fumes. Where is push to ban chlorine?

The same can be said for ammonia, but we'll gladly plunk down money for cleaners with ammonia.

Does anyone know that all metals, save for titanium, are toxic? Too much (or too little, for that matter) iron in your blood will kill you. Too much copper will do the same. And yet, I find iron and its derivatives everywhere, and can even buy food preparation tools made of iron. The same thing goes for copper, and the chlorinated water you're drinking probably comes out of a copper pipe.

Unfortunately, logic does not prevail with these people. Thats why PVC has been banned in several municipalities, mainly in California (no surprise there...) and all of Europe.

Pretty soon, all technological advancement will be banned and we'll all be living in mud and straw lean-to's, or rather would, if it were not for the fairy shrimp. Can't dig dirt to make the mud. So I guess we'll all live in caves. But we can't do that either since by doing so we'll kill countless endangered blind salamanders. And God know we can't cut down trees to make shelters.

We are gonna be royally screwed in a few decades...

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 10/12/2007, 03:03 PM
I'm accident prone

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkS

If you think PVC is bad, take a look at Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org/

Now that is some scary stuff! [/B]
Um...

Lets break this down

di = 2
hydrogen = H
oxide = single oxygen (O)

Time for elementary school math... (2+H) + O = H2O

Anyone who has seen "Waterboy" knows that.

Oddly enough Snopes has some fine bathroom reading about it. It makes me sad to think how far the human race has come.
Old 10/12/2007, 03:06 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by uscgbeachbum
Um...

Lets break this down

di = 2
hydrogen = H
oxide = single oxygen (O)

Time for elementary school math... (2+H) + O = H2O

Anyone who has seen "Waterboy" knows that.

Oddly enough Snopes has some fine bathroom reading about it. It makes me sad to think how far the human race has come.
You're over-analyzing a parody website. Actually, the whole myth of "dihydrogen monoxide" more or less proves my point. You can spin the info on just about anything to make it dangerous, bad, evil, etc., and possibly even get it banned. What would have happened if that California city had not discovered the paralegal's prank and voted to ban water? Of course, it would have been quickly fixed, but the fact that it got that far says something... And its not good...

Last edited by MarkS; 10/12/2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10/12/2007, 03:13 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Quote:
Originally posted by uscgbeachbum

It makes me sad to think how far the human race has come.
I can say with certainty that i would never want to live in any other time period other than the one iam living in now.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/12/2007, 05:16 PM
Rubberman

PVC=Bad
Plumbers Union=Good

That's California.

SteveU
Old 10/12/2007, 08:22 PM
10 & Over Club

I need to put in for hazardous duty pay. Thousands of gallons of running seawater carried by a few thousand feet of PVC pipe is scary stuff

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/12/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

hahah I had an instructor use the H20 one on my class. 3/4 of the class raised thier hands when he asked them - Would you like to help us rid the planet of this vile chemical?"

It was hard not to laugh, one poor lady couldn't get it even after it was explained

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10/12/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

DHMO. yes! let us rid the world of this evil, vile substance!!!! wait........HEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Old 10/12/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

and if you are channeling dihydrogen monoxide through pvc, you are just asking for trouble......
Old 10/12/2007, 09:31 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

PVC contains dioxins????????? Mercury?????? Phthalates?????

ummmm....Yeahhhhh....righttttttttt

As an environmental engineer who's installed several dozen pump and treat plants with PVC pipe then tested samples for a variety of chemical in the effluent I can tel you NO IT DOES NOT.

I've had dozens of PVC pipes plants with dioxins, mercury, and phtalates in the influent (e.g. dirty water coming in) but nothing in the effluent (e.g. clean water doing out)......despite having collected the samples from a PVC sample port.
Old 10/12/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
DHMO. yes! let us rid the world of this evil, vile substance!!!! wait........HEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
yeah it was funny watching some of them noding thier heads and asking - "What can we do?" honestly he had me for a second too but then I listened to the compound and it poped in my head, trust me the poor lady who was so adamant about it was ridiculed - she was 30s and her and her husband were taking the class together. I'm sure he threw that one back at her fairly offten

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10/13/2007, 11:35 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
As an environmental engineer who's installed several dozen pump and treat plants with PVC pipe then tested samples for a variety of chemical in the effluent I can tel you NO IT DOES NOT.

I've had dozens of PVC pipes plants with dioxins, mercury, and phtalates in the influent (e.g. dirty water coming in) but nothing in the effluent (e.g. clean water doing out)......despite having collected the samples from a PVC sample port.
Exactly. PVC is toxic when burned. Just don't burn PVC, or get out of the burning building! If the PVC pipes in my house are releasing toxins, the last thing in my mind is finding a gas mask.

Old 10/14/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

I heard this same story about my lead water pipes. Oh, wait. Hmmnn. What was I saying?
Old 10/15/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

I just thought it was amusing, I laughed while watching it. Funny when I posted it i thought I was making it seem like (i knew it was) a parody but re-reading my post that didnt come across.
Old 10/15/2007, 09:59 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin
I just thought it was amusing, I laughed while watching it. Funny when I posted it i thought I was making it seem like (i knew it was) a parody but re-reading my post that didnt come across.
Actually, the site you linked to is NOT a parody or prank site. It is a very real and very misguided attempt to ban a perfectly good substance.