Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

tank mate with a sixline wrasse

just wondering what fish i could keep with a sixline......this is my only fish and i think i want one more. any do's and dont's wouold help.... i was thinking about a goby or blenny
Old 10/13/2007, 03:06 AM
Jenifer Aniston -Not wife

Don'ts---I would not put another wrasse in there.

I think a gody is OK, which one?? Or a damsel, Royal gramma, clown, ect is OK too.
Old 10/13/2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

i was thinking about a shrimp goby, or a red spotted blenny. I know sixlines canget agressive so i wanted to put some other fish in the tank before he gets to agressive. anyway thanks for the help
Old 10/13/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

well i was wondering also about a manderine....i dont have a fege but i was wondering if i just bought live brine, worms, and pods, would that be ok?
Old 10/13/2007, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Both the wrasse and the mandarin are pod eaters. I'd not even put a mandarin in a 20 gal even without competition... they need about 50lbs of rock to pick on. Look at the price of live pods and you'll see that it's really impractical. You might be able to harvest your own, living in SF... the local waters have some of the largest pods there are. But you really shouldn't put a mandarin in there.

I'd get a tank raised goby or clown and call the tank full. Overstocking will mess up your tank faster than anything, and a 20 gal can be overstocked really easily.
Old 10/13/2007, 11:22 AM
old enough to know better

I agreee with Shagsbeard ... don't put a manadarin in the tank with a six line .. the six line is a very effecient preditor and in a 20 gallon tank he will consume all of the infauna within that tank in short order .. it will consume every pod, micro star, bristle worm etc in a very short period of time.