Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

7 large Squamosas spawning!!!!!

Barry, I don't know if you are on tonight but I have 7 large squamosas spaning at once. It is a 600 gallon reef with 50 clams in the system. The maximas and Derasas so far are not. The tank is so cloudy I can't see into it. I just put a large bag of carbon in the refugium. The refugium is 200 gallons so about 800 total gallons. I have enough water made up for maybe a 60 gal water change. Will the SPS be O.K.....I have a 4' My Reef Creation Skimmer but with the spawing there is no skim activity. Am I in trouble.....
Old 10/04/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

This is not good, now the Gigas and larger Maximas are spawning.I've only had individual Gigas spawn but not all these clams at once. Watching one of the ballgames......should I turn off the lights and wait? Thanks for any input
Old 10/04/2007, 11:15 PM
Team RC Member

make up as much water change water as you can and wait untill they are done then do as large of a water change as you can.

------------------------------------------------
Old 10/05/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Is the skimmer overflowing? Get pics/vids of this! I think you will be fine, but with an 800 g system you are about to learn that you should have much more SW on hand.
Old 10/05/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

water changes / skim like mad and run some carbon, lots of carbon. i too would love to see some pics, sounds like an awesome system.
Old 10/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

pics and vids please!
Old 10/06/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

How's everything doing? I've heard a spawn can pretty much nuke a tank... nonetheless 7 spawns
Old 10/06/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

After the clam spawn everything has settled down nicely. I did two water changes that night 120 gal at 1:00 AM an another about 60 gal at 4. Actually after the Squamosas began to spawn so did all the Gigas, some of the larger maximas and some of the smaller Croceas. The tank actually looked like Kalk water stirred-up. Put fresh carbon in large bags and replaced 12X12 poloy pads in system. Actually the skimmer did nothing. The water was so flat that just today it is really starting to skim.I think the water volumn and water changes saved me. Some of these clams I've had for seven years and never anything like this. I have had a 15" Gigas spawn and once in a while a maxima. But it does not trigger the massive event of the other night. Two things I did that day somewhat different. I took one of the large squamosas out of the tank to clean some sponge off his shell. I've done this before with no adverse effects. Then while watching a ballgame I took my large turkey baster and blasted areas where food, debris sometime get trapped in the rok crevices. I've done this many times before and nothing happens. Good way to feed a tank from time to time The water was cloudy but nothing unusual. Maybe it was the combo of both events the same day that stressed out the one Squamosa and others also. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend and download thanks for concern
Old 10/06/2007, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurlock
After the clam spawn everything has settled down nicely. I did two water changes that night 120 gal at 1:00 AM an another about 60 gal at 4. Actually after the Squamosas began to spawn so did all the Gigas, some of the larger maximas and some of the smaller Croceas. The tank actually looked like Kalk water stirred-up. Put fresh carbon in large bags and replaced 12X12 poloy pads in system. Actually the skimmer did nothing. The water was so flat that just today it is really starting to skim.I think the water volumn and water changes saved me. Some of these clams I've had for seven years and never anything like this. I have had a 15" Gigas spawn and once in a while a maxima. But it does not trigger the massive event of the other night. Two things I did that day somewhat different. I took one of the large squamosas out of the tank to clean some sponge off his shell. I've done this before with no adverse effects. Then while watching a ballgame I took my large turkey baster and blasted areas where food, debris sometime get trapped in the rok crevices. I've done this many times before and nothing happens. Good way to feed a tank from time to time The water was cloudy but nothing unusual. Maybe it was the combo of both events the same day that stressed out the one Squamosa and others also. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend and download thanks for concern
Im guessing taking the squammie out is what triggered it. Clam breeders have removed large clams to stress them into spawning. Once one spawns, the pheremone is out, and it triggers everyone else to also. Neat and disturbing at the same time.
Old 10/09/2007, 03:48 PM
Free Thinker

The crazy part is that when a Gigas spawns, it's only supposed to force other Gigas's to spawn, not other species like Maxima and Crocea. The clams naturally spawn at different times of the year so it's crazy to hear all of them spawning at once! Cool though! Need pics!

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 10/09/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

That is a huge tank. I would love to see pics.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney Mahony
The crazy part is that when a Gigas spawns, it's only supposed to force other Gigas's to spawn, not other species like Maxima and Crocea. The clams naturally spawn at different times of the year so it's crazy to hear all of them spawning at once! Cool though! Need pics!
Says who? From what I have heard from the breeders in SE Asia, once one goes, they all go. It is not species specific. But my information is totally heresay, second hand word of mouth. If you have information otherwise, I would love to read/see/hear it.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

why is that bad? your corals would just eat the stuff out of the water. I think maybe you did the water change for nothing.

love to see a pic of your system.

Good luck.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yiliyang
why is that bad? your corals would just eat the stuff out of the water. I think maybe you did the water change for nothing.

love to see a pic of your system.

Good luck.
This is a gross misunderstanding. The clams produce SO MUCH gametes, there is really no way an aquarium's inhabitants could consume it all. It ends up polluting the system. Heavy export will help to prevent catastrophe.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

PICS!!!
Old 10/10/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

babies?

Will you get any baby clams out of this????
Old 10/10/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

stoney, usually when you have one clam of any species spawn in the same system other clams in the same system will usually trigger themselves to spawn at the same time, this usually has to do with lunar calendar, but they could be induced to breed if the tank temp is raised during the day to the high 80s when they are normally not that high in the system.