Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many people have both marine and planted freshwater tanks?
I only have marine tank(s) 22 37.29%
I have both marine and planted freshwater tank(s) 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10/09/2007, 10:19 AM
This statement is false.

How many people have both marine and planted freshwater tanks?

I am just curious.... How many people have both marine and planted freshwater tanks? Which ones do you like better and why?
Old 10/09/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I've got marine and planted saltwater.... Does that count too. The planted tank gets out of control without regular pruning, and it always seems to look shabby after pruning. The reef tank is more enjoyable to me.

FWIW --landlord
Old 10/09/2007, 10:46 AM
Moved On

I like my freshwater planted tank better. I have about 60 small schooling fish in it and when they swim through the plant life and hover over the bogwood its breathtaking. i really like the lush look of an underwater rainforest as opposed to the look of reefs, which look very bare in comparison.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

We have both, reef tank is a lot less work. The planted tank is my 13 year olds but if he lets it go before pruning then he needs my help. He was left to take care of all our tanks while we were on vacation when we returned he even said the reef was less work.
But his tank does not have auto top up so he has to add water daily. Here's a pic of the planted.

And when he forgets to trim. Pic was taken before we rescaped.

Old 10/09/2007, 12:14 PM

I have both. If I have to choose one I would choose the reef.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I've had both, as funny as it sounds reef is WAY easier.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I have both, and which I like better? that depends on my mood and which is doing better.
Old 10/09/2007, 01:56 PM
Mortar Target

I have a 29g planted tank that has been set up for a few years now. For the past 1.999 years, it has been a real PITA!! I have algae under control and just purchased a 65g tank and stand to upgrade. When does it all end??
Old 10/09/2007, 01:57 PM
I like sticks in my tank

I used to have both and wish I did again.
Old 10/09/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

nice aquascape lotus02, use to have a 20Gal. Freshwater, but the lack of interest kill it.... lol

Reef Rules!!!!!
Old 10/09/2007, 02:37 PM
This statement is false.

Cool... While you gyus are at it - maybe post some pictures of nicely planted tanks - I'd like to see what is possible...
Old 10/09/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I have both. The planted tanks are beautiful pain in the butt. I am basically new to saltwater and especially reef tanks but so far my SW tank is easier.

I can't say I like either of them more overall, but the planted tank is in the room I do homework in so it was designed to be kind of zen, and my only current SW was designed around a comical fish (Opistognathus aurifrons, who isn't even in there yet).
Old 10/09/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmgpr7
nice aquascape lotus02, use to have a 20Gal. Freshwater, but the lack of interest kill it.... lol
Thanks I'll let my son know, since it's his tank. After the week looking after my reefs I'm just waiting to hear "can I have a reef insted".
Old 10/09/2007, 05:52 PM
stop the insults, please

I've had both. I think the planted was much less trouble to maintain, but I enjoy the reef more.
Old 10/09/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 fresh water fully planted tanks, and 2 reef tanks:
1.5G Hex Planted: Azoo mini filter and 6500K 10W PC light, somehow maintains perfect conditions all the time. I have no idea why it always looks so dang good and completely free of algae with excellent plant growth. It is a miracle, and I never do much of anything to it but add water and infrequent water changes.

15G High Planted: with zoomed 501 filter and 40W PC orbit light, took me a full year to get the algae sort of under control, and I still fight either green slime or hair, one or the other, cant find the balance. Still requires constant fiddling. Starting to think I need to increase flow through the filter. Eheim!

29G Reef Biocube, with upgraded PC light. The pride of our office, it looks great, medium light coral doing excellent, but I sure have killed a lot of fish in it.

54G Corner Reef, soon to upgrade to a 150G custom in wall. My pride and joy, but it takes constant fiddling to keep it looking good.

So, in terms of ease of maintenance vs appearance, the little 1.5G fresh is my best tank, and my 15G fresh my worst, and my reefs in the middle.
Old 10/09/2007, 09:45 PM
Moved On

I used to have a planted tank i got rid of it. I hated it i put in money for lighting-$150, Co2 injector-$100. Show piece drift wood-$80, Plants-$160.
Fish-$250 substrate-$120. And then all of the other odds and ins. But my plants wouldn't grow. Had super bad Cyano. When i went on vacation and my brother was watching the tank had 3 discus die. Almost lost fullgrown bristle nose pleco 6in. So i finnaly got sick of it and got rid of it. I like saltwater a lot more. I love all the little critters you see crawling around the tank.
Old 10/09/2007, 09:49 PM
Tiny Miracles.

I have both...Currently a 46g bowfront...and am working to get a 300g reef to replace my 180g that I had..

Without a doubt Reef is easier. I lost more freshwater fish due to whatever reason then I ever have with saltwater...I have found that marine fish are alot more hardy then freshwater.
Old 10/09/2007, 09:59 PM
Moved On

I also think it is alot easier to keep saltwater tanks clean since all the live rock,sand,skimmer,etc. And you can also get hermits and snails for saltwater for cleanup in freshwater you cant.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I have both, and I really don't notice the time I spend on either. I guess I enjoy the time with my nose pressed up against the glass with both of them for their own reasons.
Ray
Old 10/10/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Should also mention my little guy (he hates that) also has an old 12 gal. nano cube that he uses to breed cherry shrimp.
Any of you have pics of your planted tanks?
Old 10/10/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I have both, and find my planted tank to be much easier to deal with. My 85G planted tank just requires occasional pruning, but I enjoy it. Maybe it's because the learning curve is farther behind me on the FW.

Like a lot of new hobbyists, I started my simple (betta tank), then learned more, upgraded lighting and equipment, bigger tank(s), ten tried several hard-to-keep fish and plants (with mixed success) then finally settled into a successful long-term strategy that let me get the tank to look the way I want using hardy attractive specimens and just enjoy my tank without constantly stressing over it.

Then three years later, I did the same thing all over with SW (haven't quite reached the same level of stasis yet). I think I'm a masochist.

As to which I enjoy more, it's a cat-or-dog thing. I like them both, thery'e just different. SW reef tanks are definitely more complex little worlds. I think that's why it takes longer to reach equilibrium with them, but it's also what makes them so interesting, especially close-up.