Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

My fairy wrasse collection

Lineatus

Scotts

Pylei
Old 10/06/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

beautifull!!!

Reefteria!!!!
Old 10/06/2007, 02:12 PM
TANK RAIDER!

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Old 10/06/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

very nice
Old 10/06/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking fish.. I just purchased a male pyles and I hope it looks that nice. It did not that colorful in the picture from liveaquaria but I hope it looks like yours.. nice!!
Old 10/06/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

i have only seen a few pylei that i like..most i see are kinda dull..they have tons of color when they are stressed though
Old 10/07/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

I don't think my male plyei is as nice as that pic, or maybe it's just I'm seeing the comparison between the pylei and the lineatus. The pylei is more yellow and pink. The lineatus is more orange and blue. The scotts is the australian variation. I read a while ago that the cook island scotts (with the red circle) don't keep their colors.

I originally had the pylei pair from live aquaria, but I lost the female when I transferred tanks. She managed to jump out of the holding tank while I was getting the new tank ready. Needless to say, this tank is covered.

I wish rhomboid's weren't so expensive, or I'd look for one of those.

Anyone have any luck mixing a mystery with fairy wrasses if the fairy wrasses are established first? I keep reading that the msytery's are agressive.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

love that scott's mind telling where you picked them up, (online,LFS)?
Old 10/07/2007, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

I have 16 wrasses in my tank right now and my mystery wrasse was the first one I introduced over a year ago. Since then I have really gotten bit by the wrasse bug and now have 16, mostly fairy wrasses. My mystery has been very good for the most part, he lets them know he is # 1 and then acts like they aren't even there. I lost my rhomboid a couple of weeks ago while I was working out of town and my wife called and told me that she had gotten through my netting and had died on top of it. Of course it was one of my most expensive, but I haven't lost any others in quite some time. Back to the subject in hand. I beleive mysteries can get along with other wrasses.

Last edited by bradleyj; 10/07/2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10/07/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. I just picked up a solar wrasse myself...it looks like a "box of crayons" as my 5 year old would say.
Old 10/07/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. I just picked up a solar wrasse myself...it looks like it was colored with a "box of crayons" as my 5 year old would say.
Old 10/07/2007, 07:03 PM
Hydrophilic

Beautiful fish- I love that variation of Scotts.

As far as the Mystery Wrasse goes, there is one in the 450g display weve got at work, and he really keeps to himself for the most part. Once in a while he and the labouti will give eachother a quick chase, but nothing too serious.

Other wrasses in the tank so far include a McCoskers Flasher, C. adornatus, C. rhomboidalis, C. laboutei, C. lubbocki, C. roseafascia, 5 C. jordani, and 4 C. bathyphilus, as well as a number of Anthias sp. (among other fish). No real aggression problems to speak of.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 10/08/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradleyj
I have 16 wrasses in my tank right now and my mystery wrasse was the first one I introduced over a year ago. Since then I have really gotten bit by the wrasse bug and now have 16, mostly fairy wrasses. My mystery has been very good for the most part, he lets them know he is # 1 and then acts like they aren't even there. I lost my rhomboid a couple of weeks ago while I was working out of town and my wife called and told me that she had gotten through my netting and had died on top of it. Of course it was one of my most expensive, but I haven't lost any others in quite some time. Back to the subject in hand. I beleive mysteries can get along with other wrasses.

You have all those fish in a 65 gal. tank or am I missing something?
I thought I had alot of fish... lol nice looking tank of fish .
Old 10/08/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msn711
I don't think my male plyei is as nice as that pic, or maybe it's just I'm seeing the comparison between the pylei and the lineatus. The pylei is more yellow and pink. The lineatus is more orange and blue. The scotts is the australian variation. I read a while ago that the cook island scotts (with the red circle) don't keep their colors.

I originally had the pylei pair from live aquaria, but I lost the female when I transferred tanks. She managed to jump out of the holding tank while I was getting the new tank ready. Needless to say, this tank is covered.

I wish rhomboid's weren't so expensive, or I'd look for one of those.

Anyone have any luck mixing a mystery with fairy wrasses if the fairy wrasses are established first? I keep reading that the msytery's are agressive.
I have heard horrer stories about mystery wrasses.. I am sure there are other stories to but for the $$ I would try a different wrasse myself.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

I got both the scotts and lineatus from vivid aquariums online, just last week. I definitely think the australian scotts is the nicest variation.

If I could find a rhomboid for under $250, I'd add that to my list as well.

Zin22, have you actually kept a mystery wrasse? Or is this just what you've heard? No offense, but I'm just trying to separate the hearsay from the actual experience.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Beautiful!
Old 10/08/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

that tank really kicks some "wrasse"... beauiful setup
Old 10/08/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I have a mystery wrasse in a 135g with a McCoskers, solar fairy, blue sided fairy and a exquisite with no problems whatsoever. The mystery was the 2nd one added.
Old 10/08/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

ZIN22,
You have all those fish in a 65 gal. tank or am I missing something?
I thought I had alot of fish... lol nice looking tank of fish .

All those are in my 225g
Old 10/08/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msn711
I got both the scotts and lineatus from vivid aquariums online, just last week. I definitely think the australian scotts is the nicest variation.

If I could find a rhomboid for under $250, I'd add that to my list as well.

Zin22, have you actually kept a mystery wrasse? Or is this just what you've heard? No offense, but I'm just trying to separate the hearsay from the actual experience.
No I never had one but know 2 people that wish they never bought them. Like above though many have them doing fine..
Old 10/08/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

MSN 711 what are you feeding your wrasses?

I have never had good luck with my mystery wrasse. He is in the sump right now for killing my flame fairy wrasse. I thought the harassment would stop after a few days but when I came home from class one day my flame fairy was dead. I was going to take the flame out that night but it was too late! He didn't even look like he was doing bad, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 10/08/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

bradleyj
Is that a Watanabe Angelfish in the picture of your tank? How does it do with the corals that you have? I want to get one but am afraid it will peck at my corals...
Old 10/08/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Mike, which fish did you add first, the flame or the mystery? I'm trying to figure out if that makes a difference.

For foods, I have a homemade seafood blend (any raw frozen seafood from the grocery store, mixed with garlic, nori, and I think I put frozen forumula 2 cubes in the mix), cyclopeeze, brine shrimp, prime reef flakes, Hikari small marine pellets, and recently, they've taken after the naso tang and started eating nori.

I'm more concerned with mal-nourishing my fish than nitrates, so I try to feed multiple times a day wtih as many different foods as possible. And I'm looking for more foods to add to the mix, as well as trying out selcon and vita chem.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike888705
bradleyj
Is that a Watanabe Angelfish in the picture of your tank? How does it do with the corals that you have? I want to get one but am afraid it will peck at my corals...
Yes , It's a male watanabie. He is an excellent angel, he doesn't bother any of my coral and eats everything I put in for my fish, which is alot.
I have a regal also that is a excellent citizen also

Old 10/08/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

I added the mystery wrasse before the flame fairy, laboutei, and my 2 lineatus but my flame was the first and only casualty. Even when I added my lineatus which are quite a bit larger then the mystery he still chased them all over. Also he would not leave my laboutei alone. So I had no choice but to put him in the sump. But if you don't plan on adding any more wrasses then I say go for it you may get one that isn't aggressive but I think most are... There are many other rare wrasses that you could purchase. But I do love the mystery. I setting up another tank in a few weeks and will be putting the mystery in last just to see if it does work.

I asked what you are feeding b/c your fish have great color. If you are looking for another food try out krill they have way more meat on them then brine and mysis. I just blend them up and my fish love them.