Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2007, 01:28 PM
Moved On

What fish would go with a Porcupine Puffer & Moorish Idol

i have a 220 gallon tank (6ftx2ftx30" tall) with a porcupine puffer (4") and a moorish idol. neither are in the tank yet (both are in their own QTs). what cool fish do you guys think I can put in with them. the idol is aggressive and the puffer will eat smaller fish.

i was thinking either a half-moon trigger (get almost a foot long so this would be the only other fish going in if I choose him) can you guys think of another cool trigger instead if him that would go well as the third fish? would the trigger go in last then since he would be most aggressive?

or

a trio of anthias (lots of nice flashy color) can you guys think of other nice flashy bright fish that would go well with puffer and idol instead of the anthias? should anthias go in first then?

or

a butterfly and a tang (both would be medium sized species so that the tank would not be too crowded) which butterfly you guys think and which tang? i like the saddleback butterfly and eithe rthe purple or poweder blue both I think those tangs might mess with a butterfly or the idol, eh?) anyways which tang YOU guys think are good besides those? i would guess butterfly first then puffer and idol and tang last? or tang first?

thanks!
Old 10/07/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Moorish Idols, in general, are not terribly aggressive. 4" is pretty small considering they settle out of plankton at 3-3½". How long have you had the Idol? How long have you had it in QT?

The Puffer and the Idol, actually, are two very different fish with two very different temperments, including aggression level. Idols, in general, are not goo tankmates for potential fin nippers like Puffers and Triggers. And, because they're also competitors of Tangs, and to some extent, Angels/Butterflies, your third option I'd also rule out as not preferential. That would leave the Anthias, but most tank suitable Anthias are quite small, 3-5". If I were to choose an Anthias for this situation, it would eb the Squarespot.

With that all said, and I don't want to be the harbinger of doom, but I'm just stating simple fact, chances are that your Idol will not live very long. Most Idols, and I mean an incredibly large number on the order of something like 70% (off the top of my head, I have figures compiled somewhere), never make it through the first two weeks in aquarists' tanks. Just stating facts, not picking on you, not anything like that, but this fish, well, it just may not factor into your long term plans, that's all I'm saying. Zanclus really is best left in the ocean.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 10/07/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Is this a reef tank?
Old 10/07/2007, 02:39 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
Moorish Idols, in general, are not terribly aggressive. 4" is pretty small considering they settle out of plankton at 3-3½". How long have you had the Idol? How long have you had it in QT?
In my experience idols are QUITE aggressive. The first one I kept for about 4 years before I lost it in a move. I think Im pretty right on with providing them with their correct diet and space requirements. In my opinion to like lots of space, a minimum of tankmates, and lots of feedings throughout the day. Puffer is 4". idol is closer to 6"-7" Idol is in another 150 display tank in the meantime where he has been living for a year or so by himself. decided tank was too small for him so got a 220. just waiting for it to mature before I put fish in it and figure out my fish list. Puffer is in a 30 gallon QT though for the past 3 months.

but because the idol could die in the somewhat near future does not mean I should not plan my tank appropriately to suit his needs. thank you for your input, I would love to hear back from you with your thoughts about more appropriate tankmates for the puffer / idol combo.

Last edited by honda2sk; 10/07/2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by badhand2222
Is this a reef tank?
FOWLR.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:49 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
Idols, in general, are not goo tankmates for potential fin nippers like Puffers and Triggers.
i tend to agree but this puffer and idol have been together for about a year with no problems. but thats why I tend to shy away from the trigger option but was not sure on this species since they tend to be more congenial tankmates then other triggers.