Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

do they have websites?

Maro1
Old 09/21/2007, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

wow - beautiful tank and beautiful fish!
Old 09/24/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
do they have websites?
Yes they have...

http://www.marine-life.biz/

http://www.aquaristic.net

Meanwhile, yesterday I bought 7 Pseudanthias bicolor! Here are some pics...

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 09/24/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

I like the real color pics, and interesting fish choices.
Old 09/29/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Two more fishes and a Heteractis magnifica anemone...

...one 12 inches Chaetodon xanthurus...

...and a Chaetodon punctatofasciatus

They where well received by their tank mates!

and the full layout...

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 09/29/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Nice additions, hows the Idol hanging in there?
Old 09/29/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Which one of your great collection would you say is the easiest to keep?
Also it need to be "safe" with cleaner shrimp and some snails (like turbos and trochus)
thanks...
ps-i am planning to get one for my next tank, 90g fowlr
Old 09/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan*69
...hows the Idol hanging in there?
Both Idols are fine and eating dry food. Today I had another one!

Quote:
Originally posted by danielp
Which one of your great collection would you say is the easiest to keep?
Definately the aurigas! On the second day both were eating in my and!

Meanwhile I had another fish... a fabulous Pomacnathus imperator...

And also another anemone. Another Heteractis magnifica in order to settle all the fights amoungst the clowns!

The full layout photo as usual!

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/05/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Some more pics...

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/05/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Absolutely amazing, your tank is definitely one my favorites
Old 10/06/2007, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

very, very nice! I just think You have a lot of fish, but that's just my opinion. Congrats.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by RoWall
very, very nice! I just think You have a lot of fish, but that's just my opinion. Congrats.
I agree!!! But I do have the conditions to house them with confort! A excelent skimmer, a good refugium witha DSB, a lot of good Live Rock, ozone and UV are the most important to consider in a FO tank - I have them all!

Meanwhile I had put the Zanclus and also some other fishes that had some crypto spots into a Fresh Water bath - the temperature and Ph were the same as in the main tank.

It look like a lot better...

The others...

They are all eating well nevertheless Iīm gona collect some sponge and ad some garlic to the frozen food.

Speaking of food - here they are in feeding time...

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/06/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Hi again,

Now some photos taken with the flash on...

Pseudanthias bicolor

Apolemicthys trimaculatus

Pomacanthus imperator

Chaetodon punctatofasciatus

Chaetodon auriga

Zanclus cornutus

Chaetodon xanthurus

Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/06/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Awesome pics!!! I like your selection of fish
Old 10/06/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Freshwater baths are not an effective method against ich. The white spots you see is just the skin infection from the parasites under the skin. They won't fall off in a dip. If you want to treat for ich, hyposalinity would be more effective because they are succeptable to fresher water when they are not safe in the fish's skin. You need to wait until they are free swimming for the hypo to actually do its work.

Freshwater baths are effective against the similar looking velvet, but you do not have that.
Old 10/07/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

all i can say is WOW!!!!!!
Old 10/07/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Hi Luk Fox,

Quote:
Originally posted by LukFox
Freshwater baths are not an effective method against ich. The white spots you see is just the skin infection from the parasites under the skin. They won't fall off in a dip. If you want to treat for ich, hyposalinity would be more effective because they are succeptable to fresher water when they are not safe in the fish's skin. You need to wait until they are free swimming for the hypo to actually do its work.

Freshwater baths are effective against the similar looking velvet, but you do not have that.
I just made the freshwater baths to prevent other skin infeccions that normaly are connected to ich. Normally I donīt attack the ich - I just help the fish to fight him self! I feed them garlic and a lot of different foods including natural sponge.

Iīd made the second bath this morning and the fish is really well. Hereīs a pic...

Now Iīm gonna fight the trofonts and try to took them away from my aquarium. Normally Iīll do some water changes with a gravel clean up.

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/07/2007, 02:14 PM
Moved On

wow i can see this guy updating this thread in a few months. here is my prediction. two of the idols will be dead or he will have removed them because they beat the crap out of each other. hes feeding him sponge which is good but they are very aggressive fish to conspecifics. there will be a outbreak of disease because he added a crapload of fish all at once without letting his tank catch up and he did not QT as far as I can see so there will be many contagious diseases. many of the butterflys will also be dead because they will get much much aggression from the others as I can see from his list many of them are very aggressive to congenus . the emp angel will also be on his way out of the disease did not get him because the tank will be too small for him and he will waste away. thats my word.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Way to be supportive! lol I like the tank alot and good luck with it.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:35 PM
Moved On

ok well let me think of something nice to say....your tank certainly looks cool with all those beautiful fish in them. you certainly have good taste in fish, just get better with your husbandry so you can enjoy them for years to come!
Old 10/07/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Hi honda2sk,

I donīt know you and obviously you really donīt know me! I donīt just jump on things to see if it works! Iīve more then 20 years of experience with salt water reefs and fishes.

Donīt you worry about my fishes because I really know how to take care of them! Thanks for your concern...

For your information the Idols just donīt care about other tankmates, they just swim across the aquarium! Maybe they will get agressiv has they grow - Iīll be watching it!

Right now what I can say is that they are with me for 3 weeks and they allready are eating in my hand fresh and dry food. I think that is a good start!

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 10/08/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

I love the butterflies & your overall fish selection but I agree with honda2sk. The idols & anthias look thin & undernourished & with the ich you have going on in your tank, I'll be suprised if there aren't some deaths in this tank.

The tank was stocked too fast & is overcrowded with some of the most difficult fish species known for long term success.

Those anenomes will also need special care. You better get those powerheads covered or one of the nems will surely get sucked into one of them a create a major system disaster.

You have got a real challange ahead of you & I hope you prove me wrong & these fish & anenomes live for years.
Old 10/08/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Hi Ed,

Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
[B]...The idols & anthias look thin & undernourished & with the ich you have going on in your tank, I'll be suprised if there aren't some deaths in this tank.
Itīs true they are thin but a few days ago they were worse! Iīll think that they will get better soon.

Quote:
Those anenomes will also need special care. You better get those powerheads covered or one of the nems will surely get sucked into one of them a create a major system disaster.
I think that the Tunze Nanostream wont give me problems. They donīt have enought strengt.

Quote:
You have got a real challange ahead of you & I hope you prove me wrong & these fish & anenomes live for years.
Thatīs my goal...!

Thanks,
Diogo
Old 10/08/2007, 09:41 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

IMO, the tank is very overstocked, and I see troubles down the road, but best of luck to you.

But, my biggest concern is the Heteractis magnifica anemones, (( looks like you have two )) the lighting you have just isn't enough for them. They require a point source lighting, metal halide. And having all those butterflys in there would make me nervous too.

Best of luck.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:11 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dlopes
[B]Hi honda2sk,

I donīt know you and obviously you really donīt know me! I donīt just jump on things to see if it works! Iīve more then 20 years of experience with salt water reefs and fishes.

Donīt you worry about my fishes because I really know how to take care of them! Thanks for your concern...]
I know many people who also have over 20 years of experience with fish and reefs and some of them even own LFS! But thats not my point. You have so much experience then how come even a lay person who just read one or two books would know not to add so many fish at once and let the biological filter catch up after each addition. They would also know to QT every fish they get once at a time and not just throw them in the tank. As you can see in your tank what happens if you don't QT and treat before they go in display..disease outbreak. You added fish that either dont go together or who are too large for your tank. The butterflys you added some are very aggressive towards congenus and the three idols you got are very aggressive towards conspecifics so they will harass each other very soon. And emp angel will need a much bigger tank sooner then you expect. Even though you have 20 years experience it seems like you lack knowledge in some very basic methodologies. Im not trying to put you down just trying to help. Maybe reading a few books or hanging out in this forum will help a lot.