Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

LPS rescue help

I received this LPS free, thrown in with other corals I was purchasing from a LFS. Obviously it is not in too good of shape. First I was wondering if someone could ID it, or at least what it should be, lol. Also I was hoping for some advice as to what I can do to help it recover or does it look like a lost cause. I have had it for about a week and the area with color has shrunk slightly but from the start there has been no sign of full puffed up tissue. Where should I place it in my tank? Aanything else I should be doing besides keeping up good water parameters. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 10/05/2007, 12:51 AM
NaH2O

Looks like either blastomussa, or acans to me. But I have an untrained eye for these kind of things, so someone please step in and correct me

I would say try feeding it, but there is not too much tissue on it. You're already doing all you can by keeping the water parameters as pristine as possible. Some people say as long as there is even a spec of tissue on the skeleton, the coral can grow back; however sometimes a coral is injured to the point where it cannot heal. Good luck with the coral!
Old 10/05/2007, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

I don't see any tissue but that doesn't mean it wont come back. Just wait and see. Sometimes they come back............

Lisa
Old 10/05/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Some kind of favia? whatever it is, with a little TLC, the redish tissue will start filling in the skeleton again.
Old 10/05/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

as far as placement--it looks good where you have it--low level light low flow---sometimes a protective spot in the corner. I have had good success bringing some corals back by quarantining them by themselves and spot feeding them.
Old 10/05/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greyfox
Some kind of favia? whatever it is, with a little TLC, the redish tissue will start filling in the skeleton again.
greyfox--how about bubble coral--if it is reduced to skelton and a few odd polyps--will it come back also?
Old 10/05/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry capn_hylinur, I'm somewhat a newbie with the LPS corals, I just happened to be sucessful saving a 99% dead piece of acan with one tiny spec of tissue left in on the skeleton a few weeks ago, that's why I chimed in about the coral above since I see some tissues left on the skeleton. I wouldn't dare answer your question about the bubble coral since I don't know enough. We'll wait for the experts to answer.